Windows 10 2004 update issue.

forjonny

I did have one computer that told me I had the update out of 8 Windows 10 computers that I have. I did the update to the 2004 and it is running normal except that it seems to turn on the Task View thingy and shrinks up my opened programs into small windows on the screen. If you know what Task View is then you will know what I mean. For example. I have Word open and Chrome(this is on a laptop). So what happens is that I have Word open and I open up Chrome and my finger moves on the touchpad to the right and Word and Chrome shrinks up to two 3X3" boxes on the left upper side of my screen. I do not have the Task View on my Taskbar because I don't use it and I had removed it. But with this new update the Task View works like it is initiated. It usually shows up on the Task Bar as it's own icon. My icon is not there but the Task View is working it's magic and ignorring if it is on or off. I hope this makes sense. It only happens on the laptop that I updated to 2004. My other computers are not showing me that I can download the update yet. This is very annoying when you are trying to get something done on your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

The touchpad (Synaptics) software on my laptop with default settings initiates Task View if it detects swipe-up gesture using three fingers. It doesn't matter whether the Task View button is hidden or not.

I think there are good reasons for not updating to 2004. Although, I'd have to admit, I have always been cautious. Every release feels like a mystery box of some sort..you never quite now what awaits you next! I've had issues with a printer since I upgraded to 1909. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it will get magically fixed in 2004? We'll see..one day. :D

35 minutes ago, NT 6.0 said:

Maybe it will get magically fixed in 2004?

Maybe it would do Microsoft wonders if they looked back on their current stable OS at the time in the year that the build number happens to share and took a lesson from that time's book

I did two 2004 updates on 2 Dell Latitudes and they seem to work the same as they did before the update. So all is well with my two Dells, so far. One was maybe 6 years old as well.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:36 PM, CosmoDreamy said:

Maybe it would do Microsoft wonders if they looked back on their current stable OS at the time in the year that the build number happens to share and took a lesson from that time's book

Wha, wha, what? I read that three times and gave up to figure out what that means.

Edited by forjonny

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 8:42 AM, forjonny said:

Wha, wha, what? I read that three times and gave up to figure out what that means.

don't even bother trying to figure it out, forjonny
I too won't even try either

MS will release another 2004 build next Tue. July 14 that could be a little more stable - maybe MS will release a "refreshed" 2004 ISO in late July that will include the July cumulative update for 2004 :)

Edited by erpdude8

On 7/11/2020 at 11:58 AM, erpdude8 said:

MS will release another 2004 build next Tue. July 14 that could be a little more stable - maybe MS will release a "refreshed" 2004 ISO in late July that will include the July cumulative update for 2004 :)

What Channel is that for? I haven't heard anything about a new ISO. Is there a version numbering difference?

On 6/30/2020 at 2:36 AM, CosmoDreamy said:

On 7/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, forjonny said:

On 7/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, erpdude8 said:

don't even bother trying to figure it out, forjonny
I too won't even try either

It means go back to the year 2004 and look how the then current Windows version was done.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

What Channel is that for? I haven't heard anything about a new ISO. Is there a version numbering difference?

If I remember correctly, Win10 1809 was re-released as V2. "v2" was in the name of the ISO, otherwise, it was just a regular release with the then current updates slipstreamed.

Edited by UCyborg

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It means go back to the year 2004 and look how the then current Windows version was done.

The year has nothing to do with this topic. 2004 is a version number that I had an issue with. What does the year 2004 have to do with my issue? Am I missing something?

2020 04 (April)

And it is a good idea, since they originally were going to release in March. Since Server SKUs get the same build number, it would have resulted in a Server 2019 2003, which would be a disaster to search for since all you'd find would be stuff regarding Server 2003.

20 hours ago, forjonny said:

What does the year 2004 have to do with my issue?

Nothing actually.

20 hours ago, forjonny said:

Am I missing something?

CosmoDreamy just made a remark about Microsoft, that they should take a look at the Windows version that was current in the year 2004, so Windows XP, and take it as an example when working on Windows 10, in terms of quality and such.

2004 is indeed the latest stable Windows 10's version number, but looking at the number itself, you can quickly make a connection to the year 2004.