D3D12On7

UCyborg

Anyone heard about this? Apparently it's a way to run Direct3D 12 stuff on Windows 7. It has some limitations compared Direct3D 12 on Windows 10 and requires some effort on the developer's part.

What I don't quite get...is it the library that comes with each game? The first result on Google is NuGet package. It's also completely unsupported on Windows 8.x.

Edit: PCGamingWiki says D3D12On7 is bundled with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but it also says Gears 5 uses D3D11on12 on Windows 7. :unsure: So there are two separate things. The latter converts D3D11 commands to D3D12 commands and that somehow works on Windows 7 with updated drivers?

And D3D12On7 does what exactly? I might have to read this thoroughly, but it mentions Windows 7 version of D3D12.DLL is blocked from executing even on Windows 10.

Edited by UCyborg

43 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

What I don't quite get...is it the library that comes with each game? The first result on Google is NuGet package. It's also completely unsupported on Windows 8.x.

I believe it's included in DX12 games where the costs of getting rid of the 7 fanbase wouldn't be worth it, like WoW for example.

BTW, the NuGet .nupkg package is just a renamed .zip, and the libraries can be found in the \bin subfolder.

Edited by IntMD

• UCyborg changed the title to D3D12On7

Yeah, I figured that much about D3D12On7.

And from what I found, D3D11On12 apparently just allows final output to go through D3D12 while coding mostly in D3D11 style, but allowing for some extra D3D12 bells and whistles.