Installing Vista From Scratch

XPHomeSP3

A good way for a Vista user using the Security Monthly Quality Rollups to determine whether they have telemetry, is to run netstat -b in Command Prompt/PowerShell as administrator with no programs running (especially web browsers). You get a few hits on a standard Windows 10 and Windows 7/8.x with telemetry, but not on Windows 7 without telemetry updates as well as Windows 10 LTSC with services like Diagnostic Policy Service disabled (in the latter case, simplewall may have been running with many system components blocked from making connections, but I don't remember).

Edited by win32

20 hours ago, win32 said:

A good way for a Vista user using the Security Monthly Quality Rollups to determine whether they have telemetry, is to run netstat -b in Command Prompt/PowerShell as administrator with no programs running (especially web browsers). You get a few hits on a standard Windows 10 and Windows 7/8.x with telemetry, but not on Windows 7 without telemetry updates as well as Windows 10 LTSC with services like Diagnostic Policy Service disabled (in the latter case, simplewall may have been running with many system components blocked from making connections, but I don't remember).

Need to try this on a stock install of 7, tons of programs I use make use of 127.0.0.1, so it's filed with things.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to look for compattelrunner.exe, and look for DiagTrack, and dwmappushservice in services.msc?

On 8/24/2020 at 12:51 PM, XPHomeSP3 said:

I guess what I should have asked was whether the Server 2008 updates that can be applied to Vista suffer from telemetry being baked in to their Security Monthly Quality Rollups like Windows 7 and 8.1 do.

It does not. MS never bothered to port DiagTrack to NT 6.0.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, XPHomeSP3 said:

I have decided to install Vista (which I have never previously used as an OS) from scratch on an older system I have for the benefit of enhancing my computer knowledge. All necessary prerequisites for a (hopefully) successful install of Vista have been met and I am seeking advice on the following:

1. Should I install the 32 or 64 bit variety?
2. After successfully installing the base files, do I have to install SP1 and then SP2 or can I just install SP2 on its own?
3. Is there a particular order for installing all the post SP2 updates up until Vista's April 11, 2017 EOS date?
4. I plan on installing all the Post-EOS Vista-applicable Server 2008 R2 updates discussed in the Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista thread. Should these be installed in chronological order?

Thank you in advance for any and all expertise, suggestions and advice you are able to provide.

1. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM then install x64. If you have less, install x86.

2.  You need to install SP1 first, then SP2

3 and 4. I do not know and I don't think you need to do that.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, win32 said:

8.1 should be installed after Vista. Aside from that, there shouldn't be any special considerations.

No you can install either oses first. I installed Windows 10 on a computer first, then installed Vista. Both OSes still worked. It is not like XP which 8.1 would be unusable unless you install BCD bootloader with EasyBCD.

Just now, GD 2W10 said:

No you can install either oses first. I installed Windows 10 on a computer first, then installed Vista. Both OSes still worked. It is not like XP which 8.1 would be unusable unless you install BCD bootloader with EasyBCD.

Yep, I had overlooked the fact that all NT 6 OSes use the exact same boot manager/loader. In fact, I now recommend installing Vista after 8.x/10 as an easy way to escape the Metro boot screen. :)

50 minutes ago, vinifera said:

err no

SP 2 contains everything SP 1 did

I wasn’t aware that the OP had further questions, but GD 2W10 was correct: SP1 is a prerequisite for SP2. But as TigTex suggested on page 1, you can get a Vista SP2 ISO easily enough.

5 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

1. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM then install x64. If you have less, install x86.

2.  You need to install SP1 first, then SP2

3 and 4. I do not know and I don't think you need to do that.

I'd suggest OP go with x64 if they have a x64 capable CPU. It improves compatibility, and is usually stable, and objectively more secure. I ran x64 Windows 7 on my 3GB laptop back in the day without issue.