Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

dalchina

KB4549951 18362.778 broke Aeroglass

Posted (edited)

By the way, if any of you don't know how to make 'TrustedInstaller' the owner of a file (or folder), type in 'NT SERVICE\TRUSTEDINSTALLER' (without the quotes) where/when it asks to input a user name for owner of file (or folder).

======================

The default owner of the DLL files which need to be replaced (dwmcore.dll + uDWM.dll) is TrustedInstaller, which is the reason for this post.  I like to set the owner back to TrustedInstaller after I grant myself read/write access and/or replace (or modify) these system DLL files.  Ergo, this post is for those of you who wish to change owner of, or, add read/write access to a file and/or folder using Windows Explorer to TrustedInstaller, yet, are unable to (because just typing 'TRUSTEDINSTALLER' in the input box won't work).

Edited by sbkw1983
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, sbkw1983 said:

By the way, if any of you don't know how to make 'TrustedInstaller' the owner of a file (or folder), type in 'NT SERVICE\TRUSTEDINSTALLER' (without the quotes) where/when it asks to input a user name for owner of file (or folder).

======================

The default owner of the DLL files which need to be replaced (dwmcore.dll + uDWM.dll) is TrustedInstaller, which is the reason for this post.  I like to set the owner back to TrustedInstaller after I grant myself read/write access and/or replace (or modify) these system DLL files.  Ergo, this post is for those of you who wish to change owner of, or, add read/write access to a file and/or folder using Windows Explorer to TrustedInstaller, yet, are unable to (because just typing 'TRUSTEDINSTALLER' in the input box won't work).

You can also use a program called RunAsTI which spawns a CMD with Trusted Installer rights, that way you can replace the files without changing the owner.

https://github.com/jschicht/RunAsTI

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello guys.  Thanks for the workaround provided, but I am unable to get it to work.  I've tried RunAsTI and manually change the ownership of the two files to myself, but I can't copy the two .dll files over because it says they're in use.  I know that RunAsTi and the changing the ownership work because if I don't use that, I get a permission error instead of file in use error.  The files are in use by DWM.  I have not found a way to stop DWM as it keeps restarting if I End Process.  I've even tried in Safe Mode with Command Prompt only but DWM still runs in that mode.  How are you able to copy those .dll files over?   I can't find DWM in the services.msc to stop the auto restart (as per many Google search suggestions).

Edited by MikeRotch
Clarity

Renaming original files should work.

• Like 1

Thank you UCyborg.  This worked.  Also thanks to SkyySX for RunAsTI info and sbkw1983!

• Like 1

so this method didnt work with version 2004

the system crashed, had to boot to cmd and fix the issue 

still no work around?