Modern hardware drivers for 32bit XP

Dibya

17 hours ago, Damnation said:

do i just run the EXE? or is further modification required?

Inf mod to add device I'd

I do not know whether driver will work.

10 hours ago, Damnation said:

do i just run the EXE? or is further modification required?

Adding ChipType uPD720201 made it work flawlessly in XP x86 for my chipset, but I can't really promise anything for other chipsets. Cross your fingers and try.

23 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Adding ChipType uPD720201 made it work flawlessly in XP x86 for my chipset, but I can't really promise anything for other chipsets. Cross your fingers and try.

can you please upload your modified INF file so I can see exactly what you did?

• 4 weeks later...
On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 8:29 AM, FranceBB said:

You mean you added your Hardware ID into the .INF?

What was your Hardware IDs of your ChipType uPD720201?

I want to do a comparison.

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 9:51 AM, zago27 said:

@Dibya I could run Vista x86 on my HP 15-g065nl, which is based on AMD A8-6410 APU with Radeon R5. I downloaded official HP Catalyst drivers, took Win7 x86 INFs and renamed all NT6.1 sections in NT6.0 and manually selected drivers from Device Manager. I did that with all AMD drivers, the only that didn't work was the internal TPM. No bugs, no crashes, no BSoDs. XP refused to start installing because I couldn't switch to IDE legacy mode on that limited BIOS.

If it can help, there are a bunch of ASRock mobos for AMD platform (FM2+ and AM1) that have XP drivers for APU integrated Radeon R3/4/5/6/7 GPUs. Maybe, it is possible to port them for other chips.

P.S.: I used Vista for a couple of weeks, just for fun!! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you modified just the W7 drivers for the Vista OS instead without doing anything else?

If you want to get XP installed on that system try these Chipset Drivers which includes your SATA AHCI for XP driver.  You will need to use nLite to slipstream into an untouched XP disc.  Burn it and it should install recognizing your SATA controller properly now. :)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows XP - Professional/Home&RenderOnServer=true

Hello.

First thanks for the work and dedication.

I am trying to install Intel hd 4600 drivers, but reboot constantly, I have seen that it works with chipset which were made to have embedded xp version (h81, q87, c226) Would the limitation be only the chipset, or is there any code that can be modified to run on other chipsets? I have z97 chipset.

Edited by XenSen

• 1 year later...

@Dibya,

I'm still using xp 64 on my laptop, my problem is my graphic drivers, my system is haswell intel hd 4400 so its not supported, tried every driver out there but nothing worked always end up with BSOD. could you patch a working driver for me. my device hardware id is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_380C17AA&REV_09, could you please help?

On 5/28/2017 at 11:56 PM, 98SE said:

You mean you added your Hardware ID into the .INF?

What was your Hardware IDs of your ChipType uPD720201?

I want to do a comparison.

Oops.

mshehhix just replied and popped this topic back up, so I noticed that you were asking about it.

Well, I remember that driver, it's the one for USB3.0, but unfortunately it doesn't work with every chips, but with a very limited number of chips (and it crashes often, it's not usable).

My hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0014.

can you please upload your modified INF file so I can see exactly what you did?

I didn't, I repacked the executable, but I didn't get lucky.

After a year, I can say that it doesn't work for the majority of the systems and - as to my system - it kinda does, but if I copy files larger than 10 GB via USB3.0 it crashes (Blue Screen).

When I connect a webcam or something else that it's not so resource intensive and doesn't buffer much, it works, BUT if I keep the webcam connected for... let's say more than 24 hours, it may crash out of the blue.

There's definitely something wrong, but I didn't figure out what and I ended up dropping the "project" (if you can call it that).

Besides, please note that it's based on proprietary drivers that shouldn't be modified or redistributed and of course I don't have access to the source code (only assembly via disassembler and hex via PE Explorer), so even attempting to understand what is wrong would be a nightmare (difficult, close to impossible).

In other words: don't use it, unless you really want to experience crashes and blue screens.

Last but not least, I'm actually using Linux (Fedora) to run a virtual machine with Windows XP to accomplish all my tasks on modern hardware. (it's actually a raw-disk access, so it's as close as possible to physical install).

I also have other VMs, one of which has Windows Server 2019.

I strongly suggest everyone who is going to get a new computer to use the same approach I used: Linux + Virtual Machine.

Besides, support is gonna end soon and we are living on borrowed time.

Edited by FranceBB

:blink:  I don't understand: for Renesas/NEC USB 3.0 (PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0014) on XP, there actually is an official working driver (I should know, I use it on one of my machines), namely renesas_usb_3.0.23.1, findable at station-drivers. It works flawlessly.  :yes:

Now, for Intel USB 3.0 (PCI\VEN_8086) on XP, there isn't now, and there hasn't ever been, any working driver. :no:

@dencorso... Yes, the official driver on official system works fine, but that's the whole point: the "generic" driver is based on the official Renesas driver, however it has been repacked to allow it to install on non-renesas systems (like the Intel ones). Sadly it didn't work and on the few non-renesas systems in which it somehow recognised the USB ports, it crashed and caused blue screens, therefore it should not be used.

It was a bad attempt and an even worse idea from the beginning.

Edited by FranceBB

11 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@dencorso... Yes, the official driver on official system works fine, but that's the whole point: the "generic" driver is based on the official Renesas driver, however it has been repacked to allow it to install on non-renesas systems (like the Intel ones). Sadly it didn't work and on the few non-renesas systems in which it somehow recognised the USB ports, it crashed and caused blue screens, therefore it should not be used.

It was a bad attempt and an even worse idea from the beginning.

I don't see anywhere in your post the proper adverbs :w00t:, like, you know, surprisingly, unexpextedly, strangely, etc. :whistle:

Generally speaking, plugging square pegs in round holes is a lot of fun :P but rarely works :(.

There are exceptions, of course ;):

jaclaz