On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

42 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

You can uninstall some update and try again. 

Pick one for which you have the installer locally though, just in case :P

About that error, maybe try to delay the WU service startup until your proxy is running. 

There is an "Automatic (delayed)" option in newer Windows, not sure if you can set it in XP through the registry. 

Or set the service to manual/disabled, then run it later from a startup batch file.

Yes, I could do that, but I don't really want to risk it just for a speculative test!
I have "Startup Delayer" installed and running for other reasons, so I could delay the service start with that.
There's no native way of doing it in XP AFAIK.
:)

39 minutes ago, Usher said:

One instance works as a service (server part), another one works as GUI (client part). Some programs use different files for different tasks, some allow to close GUI and run only service, if you don't need to change configuration or see tray notifications...

Open Task Manager on Processes tab, turn on "Show processes for all users", ensure that you have Username column visible and look how many svchost.exe instances you can see - one running as NETWORK SERVICE user, some running as LOCAL SERVICE user, some other as SYSTEM.

Thanks, that's very helpful and makes perfect sense.
:yes:

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As promised I changed my automatic settings for testing purpose. Searching for updates on MU web site shows one important update is missing but Automatic Updates Control Panel File wuaucpl.cpl doesn't work. No pop up of shield in systray, no entries in event manager. I tried different settings and changed proxy configuration but so far without any success. :dubbio:

You say your Automatic Updates Control Panel applet doesn't work?
Is it all greyed out, or does it not open at all?
:dubbio:

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

There's no native way of doing it in XP AFAIK.

I use Glarysoft's Quick Startup. It has a delayed startup feature too. Very good tool and afaik more recent.

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

You say your Automatic Updates Control Panel applet doesn't work?
Is it all greyed out, or does it not open at all?

No, I meant wuauclt /detectnow doesn't work for me too. No notifying of new updates (and in my case there is one), no shield in systray, no entries in event log. Sorry for confusing! :whistle: It's not my day! Automatic Updates Control Panel applet is not greyed out and can be called up but changing settings by this applet has no effect.

Here that command brought out the systray notification with the 130+ pending updates. 

MU site don't work currently, so can't check there (stuck in redirect loop, decided to reinstall IE8 after noticing the Advanced tab and security settings were empty, not bothered enough yet to try fixing it).

You need to add these three websites to Trusted Sites: http://www.update.microsoft.com https://www.update.microsoft.com and http://update.microsoft.com

And set the level to high. If it is not available, press reset first.

@RainyShadow Here a description to stop the forwarding.

Edited by maile3241

13 hours ago, ExtremeGrief said:

Automatic updates works with WSUS proxy, if it's helping

Thanks for information! I already knew that. Using WSUS method Automatic Updates applet works flawlessly. As expected the notification shield appears in systray and reports one urgent update is missing. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, maile3241 said:

The yellow shield in the taskbar

@maile3241 Could you please provide more detailed information under which conditions and settings you get these notifications in systray? An additional upload of your WindowsUpdate.log would be helpful! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

Thanks for upload of your Windows Update log! As far as I can see in you have used WSUS proxy method to get notification from systray shield. Is that correct? As mentioned above it works in my system too but that's not the problem actually. Only using HTTPSProxy switched on, no WSUS server. Is it then working too? I don't think so.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

@Dave-H I am analyzing the automatic updates applet problem we both have. For me it doesn't matter actually I don't use automatic updates but you know I hate errors in my system. Using HTTPSProxy switched on and setting automatic updates to "Notify but don't automatically download or install them" could you trigger automatic updates by executing command wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow under two different conditions? First condition is to execute command proxycfg -u and second condition is to execute command proxycfg -d. Then I would like to ask you to upload a copy of your Windows Update log. :) :hello:

PS: And don't be afraid! None of these commands will harm your system. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for upload of your Windows Update log! As far as I can see in you have used WSUS proxy method to get notification from systray shield. Is that correct? As mentioned above it works in my system too but that's not the problem actually. Only using HTTPSProxy, no WSUS server. Is it then working too? I don't think so.

I am not using a wsus server.