On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Great! I'm glad your system has got back all features you wanted to have.

Thanks largely to you! :worship:

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

In my Windows XP system Avast Premier is the main security solution in combination with Windows 10 Firewall Control XP. Avast works perfectly but the web protection causes in a lot of cases an huge loss of speed especially while surfing, connecting via VPN or downloading files although a lot of exclusions have been made by me. In such cases switching off web protection is the only way to have full speed again. The older the computer is, the greater the loss. And my computer running Windows XP is 21 years old.

I do get full speed using Firefox 52.9 ESR, which doesn't use the proxy.
There is no difference if I switch off Malwarebytes' web scanning.
The speed hit is only noticeable if I use 360Chrome with the "Use IE proxy" option enabled.
Fortunately you can easily switch it off. This does result in a few padlocks not being green in  the address bar, but I've not found any site yet which doesn't work in that configuration.
:)

22 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes of course!
:yes:

Just wanted to say, I'm glad you got it back working! Man, it must've been a hassle for a long time trying to figure out this problem, lol. :angel

I've been watching this topic for a long time, to see your progress on getting it working, and I'm pretty thankful it ended with a good end for you. :)

Edited by mina7601
Added spacing and a good expressing emoji.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks largely to you!

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

The speed hit is only noticeable if I use 360Chrome with the "Use IE proxy" option enabled.

Did you add HTTPSProxy and ProxHTTPSProxy to MalwareBytes' exclusions list? I have excluded them in Avast.

20 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did you add HTTPSProxy and ProxHTTPSProxy to MalwareBytes' exclusions list? I have excluded them in Avast.

No I haven't excluded HTTPSProxy (I'm no longer using ProxHTTPSProxy) from Malwarebytes.
I will give that a try, just excluding the HTTPSProxy folder.
:yes:

It used to be like that a few years ago, on my low powered netbook I would leave it scanning overnight, and sometimes it hadn't even found the updates then! IIRC it was something to do with too many previous Internet Explorer updates clogging the system (or something like that).
At least you did eventually get the updates, and I do remember them taking a while when I first installed and updated Office 2010, so I don't think this is unusual.
You just have to be patient and be glad you only have to do it once!
It's probably still quicker than identifying all the updates and then downloading them from the catalogue and installing them all manually!

4 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

@Dave-H Is there something wrong with my computer? It has taken a day to search for Office 2010 updates using this method and now it is taking 1 hour to install 25 updates for SP2!

You need to install SP2 first else it will take a while, same thing is happening on Vista SP2

14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I think @xpandvistafanwas saying that they had already installed SP2 (for Office 2010) and it was the post SP2 updates that were taking a long time.
I do remember that there was an awful lot of them!

Yes, pre SP2 was ok. Running Microsoft Update now is so slow, even on a virtual machine with 2GB of RAM. CPU usage is also at 100%. 

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

Is there a way to update the ciphers to reach the windows update site without a proxy?

Due to the fact that in Windows XP (and 2000 too) you can only use IE or IE engine to access to MU and the ciphers of IE are outdated you have to use ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy to add modern, more recent ciphers to IE or IE engine. Therefore is the answer from my point of view: No! :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Due to the fact that in Windows XP (and 2000 too) you can only use IE or IE engine to access to MU and the ciphers of IE are outdated you have to use ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy to add modern, more recent ciphers to IE or IE engine. Therefore is the answer from my point of view: No! :no:

Too bad. I'm still wondering how I got it to work without a proxy for a short time in December.

33 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Too bad. I'm still wondering how I got it to work without a proxy for a short time in December.

Maybe someone at Microsoft temporarily enabled TLS 1.0 on the server and enabled an XP compatible cipher suite. You can check the cipher suites at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=fe2.update.microsoft.com Currently, there are no XP compatible cipher suites on. But some Microsoft websites, like this one https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=sws1.update.microsoft.com have XP compatible cipher suites on. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=fe2.ws.microsoft.com has xp cipher suites enabled, but it needs TLS 1.2, which also means it needs PosReady Updates. The old endpoint used www.update.microsoft.com. Now that website has no xp compatible cipher suites enabled, but you can see before in November 2020, it still had TLS 1.0 enabled and XP compatible cipher suites. Since the certificate was signed using SHA1, Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows could connect using the 3DES cipher, although the update searching only worked on 2000 or later.

Edited by xpandvistafan