Browsing the web on 98/ME in 2019 and beyond

Destro

I've now belatedly realised that the Burp settings in the registry are under HKCU\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\burp, not HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\burp, which is where I was looking!
D'oh! Sorry for the confusion!
The settings seem to be all in that key as they should be.
Why the registry is getting corrupted is strange though, perhaps Burp just doesn't like the Windows 98 registry structure.
:dubbio:

I've encountered problems loading some pages with Burp and it was down to the Streaming Responses entries. Here is an update where filetype dots are escaped and that should be foolproof I hope. I Also added a (disabled) entry for image files. Save as Json and load in the appropriate place in Burp.

{
    "project_options":{
        "http":{
            "streaming_responses":{
                "scope_advanced_mode":true,
                "store":false,
                "strip_chunked_encoding_metadata":false,
                "urls":[
                    {
                        "enabled":true,
                        "file":"^.*\\.exe|\\.zip|\\.7z|\\.rar|\\.tar|\\.iso|\\.msi|\\.mp3|\\.mp4|\\.flac.*",
                        "protocol":"any"
                    },
                    {
                        "enabled":false,
                        "file":"^.*\\.jpg|\\.jpeg|\\.gif|\\.png|\\.webp|\\.svg|\\.swf.*",
                        "protocol":"any"
                    }
                ]
            }
        }
    }
}

Thanks, that does seem to have fixed the poor rendering of the Trend download page!
:thumbup
How do you actually import that code though?
I'm sure I must have done it before, but I couldn't get it to work this time.
I had to resort to directly editing the code in the project settings file.
I tried importing it in the Project Options>HTTP Tab>Streaming Responses section, but when I tried to "Load" the JSON file nothing happened.
:dubbio:

On 8/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, Dave-H said:

How do you actually import that code though?
I'm sure I must have done it before, but I couldn't get it to work this time.
I had to resort to directly editing the code in the project settings file.
I tried importing it in the Project Options>HTTP Tab>Streaming Responses section, but when I tried to "Load" the JSON file nothing happened.

Has that worked in the meantime? Project Options > HTTP Tab > Streaming Responses > gearwheel (Options) > Load options and choose the json-file.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:09 PM, loblo said:

As a convenient solution for downloading at full speed from most sites Opera can't connect to without Burp I have integrated the latest Corone build of cURL for XP in Opera links menu on web pages (I couldn't get it to work in the links panel though).

Yes, it works at full speed just like you said with the addition in the standard_menu.ini file under [Link Popup Menu].

Edited by schwups

On 7/27/2020 at 10:09 PM, loblo said:

I also use JDownloader 2 on the same Java runtime and I get full speed downloads at several MB/s sometimes when such speed is available from the servers I download from.

Now I've started to deal with JDownloader. The JD-jar file inside the the app folder of the portable version works. The launcher 2.2, of course not on ME. Thanks for the link, loblo! I also tried the downloads on jdownloader.org without success. I couldn't start and run them, exe and jar. Seem it must be portable. I had to add FFmpeg (version CoRoNe / Reino) manually. The automatic failed already during the FFmpeg download. Anyway, that would be the wrong version (zeranoe.com).  Settings>Advanced Settings>Search FFmpeg and set the full paths for FFmpeg.exe and FFProbe.exe.

That doesn't make any sense at the moment, but I tried to run JD on Burp. I added the http proxy (Settings>Connection Manager) and it shows no problem - thumbs up icon. But the program seems to analyse the link endlessly.

@schwups, same issues with JDownloader for me, only portable jar works, it doesn't update and I had to install ffmpeg manually too. Quite puzzling as downloading from third party sites works great but not for updating itself.

There is no need to run it through Burp I think, Burp's crypto is provided by Azul Java and running JDownloader on Azul is all that should be needed and that's how I use it.

Some times link retrieval can be long if the url it analyses isn't explicitly a file and/or has a non-standard redirect as it will then brute force the website to try to find files it can download and sometimes it might not be able to find anything, eg looking for something from Oracle which redirects to a login with files in unbrowsable directories and maybe even on a different domain.

Aside from that it works great with everything for me and it's the only solution I know for downloading stuff from Mega. I'd never thought I could finally download from Mega with Win ME but here it is now.

Edited by loblo

I can't download Azul openjdk 8 anymore. https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?architecture=x86-64-bit&package=jdk. I tried it with FF52.9, MyPal, NewMoon and FF68 on android. The selections don't popup. Is there a trick? Or must it be Firefox 80?

I updated Azul Java to version jre8.0.265. With every change the three steps have to be repeated, export and import of the ca Certificate, loading the json file and saving (Save Options) the configuration file. This can be loaded on every Burp start.

You shouldn't need to export/import certificate again because you update Java, it's got nothing to do with it. Certificate should be persistent even if changing Burp version and regardless of which Java runtime you use.

If you need to do this it only means Burp has corrupted its registry key where it stores the certificate when updating the list of available extensions from the PortSwigger site.

As I mentioned already not long ago in a previous post, "fixing" it involves deleting the whole Prefs key (parent to the Burp key) under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft and import a previously saved good one. If you do this your certificate will persist no matter what else. If a Prefs subkey is a numeral digit it means Burp has corrupted this key as well as its own one. I always check it before I start Burp (it's fast because I use RegMagick (3.26.4) which lets you save shortcuts to registry keys and jump to them in one click from Windows explorer) and I perform the described procedure if I find corruption.

As for Json and settings, there are two sets of settings in Burp, User Options and Project Options. User options are automatically saved by Burp on clean exit in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\BurpSuite\UserConfigCommunity.json and should be persistent across sessions. Project options aren't automatically persistent but can be saved all at once from the Burp toolbar menu Project > Project options > Save Project options and then automatically loaded at startup if you wish so that all options actually persist but any Project option change requires manual saving in order to persist.

A cool tool for viewing (or even editing) Burp settings offline is JSONedit. It even lets you copy/paste nodes from one instance to another in tree view mode which I found really useful before I figured out I could save all project options at once. http://tomeko.net/software/JSONedit/

Edited by loblo

Yes, obviously the registry method to import the saved good key is a little bit quicker. The look in my registry gives me the Burp subkey and five subkeys (19, 19, 20, 3, 3) I can't open - then corrupted!

Loblo, I think it makes sense to transfer your knowledge "running Azul Java 8, Burp (support of TLS 1.3), JDownloader and youtube-dl" to new topics. Many informations are scattered on this board and the web. It's difficult and tedious to comprehend, especially for newbies. Newbies will give up quickly! The specific steps could be listed there in compact form.

Schwups, I understand your point here but I'm not inclined to do that for a number of reasons: first is that all I know/figured out has now been written and it is within the last 4/5 pages of this thread, second is that there is no foundation on which I can write a guide and by this I mean that running Burp requires a properly updated KernelEx which is even more complicated to get to, it was quite easy to sort out Dave-H only because he had followed regularly up to a point and only missed an update of the psapi auxilliary dll to his updated KernelEx, third, I don't believe there are many newbies if any at all and all this should be good enough for the handful who follows these 9x topics at least semi-regularly.

Edited by loblo