Extended Kernel question/problem

ojt_1998

Hi All,

I have a slight problem on a system running a fresh install with extended kernel. As an example, Roytam’s palemoon and firefox 52 crash when starting.

Also the appcomp.cmd script doesn’t seem to be working for installers that still report needing xpsp2 or higher.

Does anybody have any ideas why and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

On 2/23/2019 at 2:51 PM, ojt_1998 said:

...the appcomp.cmd script doesn’t seem to be working for installers that still report needing xpsp2 or higher.

I don't know the solution, but I also have noticed this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, ojt_1998 said:

Hi All,

I have a slight problem on a system running a fresh install with extended kernel. As an example, Roytam’s palemoon and firefox 52 crash when starting.

Also the appcomp.cmd script doesn’t seem to be working for installers that still report needing xpsp2 or higher.

Does anybody have any ideas why and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

i did test one of the palemoon versions with and without extended kernel a few days ago, i think it was the 26.5 version of palemoon, my problem was that there would be a black screen upon loading. i found a source mentioning to disable hardware acceleration, i did that for the gpu and no more black screen and i was able to load the browser fine, youtube also worked still at 360p or auto resolution, though the browser was a bit unstable / and did not work for everything / load everything, for example, hotmail would not completely load.

it seems that this black screen issue might also be the same problem i had with kmeleon 74 on windows 98 and that if you complete disable hardware acceleration on the gpu, then the black screen would go away but i never went back to test this yet, though 98SE is a different story, i don't want to derail the topic from windows 2000 specific stuff.

i can't comment on the specific script issue you mentioned. all i can say is that i didn't really have much of any issues with the latest kmeleon 76 version with extended kernel, although i did find a scripting error where the web browser would just freeze. i am not sure if any of incompatibilities / bugs have to do with the web browser more or maybe using sse2 cpu's on newer modern software / web browsers being the problem and not being able to handle stuff. for example, sometimes the cursor or selection point when i am typing such as now may jump randomly to another area of this post or at worse may completely go backwards for this entire page.

honestly, i'd avoid using anything less than sse3 cpu, at least for web browsing. also back the hardware acceleration part, you may not need to completely disable, try going in increments as high or low to see which setting seems to work best / to your liking.

Edited by cov3rt