Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

6 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

It looks like this is some kind of WU glitch, these two updates were released back in August.

So they were!
:dubbio:
And I installed them both then as well, manually from the catalogue files.

When I checked the files after yesterday's updates, the only file that had changed was PPCORE.DLL, which had apparently updated from 14.0.7248.5000 to 14.0.7257.5000.
The former was date stamped 25/03/20, the latter is 24/07/20.

So the "new" version is not in fact particularly new!
The "Outlook" update didn't seem to change anything, but that could well be because I don't have Outlook actually installed as part of the Office suite.

Back in April, my PPCORE.DLL was updated from version 14.0.7243.5000 to 14.0.7248.5000, and that was the last time until yesterday.
So, it looks as if when I manually installed KB4092435 in August, it didn't actually update it, although I've checked the logs and it supposedly installed successfully, on August 14th!
Very strange, but if nothing else it shows that MS Update isn't quite dead yet!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as the reply appeared on a new page

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed so, it will be interesting to see if there are actually any final updates then.
I would love to see them roll out a final version of MSO.DLL which is XP compatible, but I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by Dave-H

Four updates today for Office 2010 on Windows 10.

KB4486707 - Excel
KB4486703 - Word
KB4486663 - Outlook
KB4486700 - Office

I guess that's it!
Haven't tried finding and installing them on XP yet.

It seems I have nothing on my system which needs KB4486701!
:dubbio:
Anyway, no new MSO.DLL this time it seems, so no XP compatibility problems.
:yes:
RIP Office 2010.............
:(

Edited by Dave-H

• 2 weeks later...

All updates are OK, except the ones that replace MSO.DLL with an incompatible version.
IMO the easiest way to make sure you get the latest (and now last) usable versions of all the Office 2010 files is to install all the most recent updates and then simply replace the MSO.DLL file with the one from KB4092483, which contains the last version which works on XP systems.
Remember that updates which replace MSO.DLL can replace other files as well, but you only need to replace that one file to get the system working again.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

All updates are OK, except the ones that replace MSO.DLL with an incompatible version.
IMO the easiest way to make sure you get the latest (and now last) usable versions of all the Office 2010 files is to install all the most recent updates and then simply replace the MSO.DLL file with the one from KB4092483, which contains the last version which works on XP systems.
Remember that updates which replace MSO.DLL can replace other files as well, but you only need to replace that one file to get the system working again.

[Machine Translation]

@ Dave-H,

1) - First of all, I would like to thank you for your efforts to keep us always informed in this forum about Office 2010 in Win XP!

2) - Sorry for my inexperience on this forum but, to make it easier for everyone, could you post below a link to download only the latest version of the MSO.DLL file (KB4092483) that works correctly with Office 2010 on Win XP?

Thanks in advance.

Jose Mario
28/10/2020 - 14: 31h

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The update should be here here -
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4092483

Unfortunately, the download no longer seems to work for me!
Can anyone else confirm this?
:angry:

works for the Internet Explorer-specific version of Update Catalog.

So they've managed not only to screw up searching by hardware identificators (which is far useful for locating newest WHQL'd drivers) and how the results in general were less accurate, but also they screwed up searching at all for the non-IE version. nice,

EDIT: seems to be back now, for non-IE browsers, and they have finally unf***ed searching by HWIDs.

Edited by IntMD

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Works OK here in NM28 32-bit (Vista SP2 x86); direct link for KB4092483 32-bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/09/mso-x-none_852c8f4c16a121d662c070374553e1ffe159779a.cab

;)

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The update should be here here -
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4092483

:angry:

Works for me!

This is the 32 bit cab: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/09/mso-x-none_852c8f4c16a121d662c070374553e1ffe159779a.cab