Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Dave-H

Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

Seems I am behind as the version of Office I have is Office XP

how does Office 2010 perform on XP ?

is it worth updating, I know alot of newer files created with newer office won;t open in Office XP

also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt

I used Office XP (2002) for many years before finally updating to Office 2010.
Office XP won't open the newer .docx Word documents generated by more recent versions of Word unless the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack is installed.
I still use that configuration on my netbook, and on Windows 98 on my main machine (Office XP, despite its name, is the last version that works on Windows 98!)
The Compatibility Pack is out of support now.
Office 2010 is very good on XP, at least it was until recent security updates broke it! :angry:
It's the last version to work on XP, and the first version to have a 64 bit version, which I use on Windows 10.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as post has appeared on a new page
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DrWho3000 said:

also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt

I'll probably be reprimanded if I start posting direct links but, suffice it to say, torrents are your answer unless you're prepared to purchase a legit copy.

I assume you don't know what I'm talking about so start here- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

Once you're all set up I would suggest you go searching on https://thepiratebay.org where you'll find a lot of stuff but the one with the most peers is likely your best bet. If you live in certain countries you'll need a VPN to get access to that site as "this is illegal you know".

68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e67697468

Oh and you'll be downloading a disk image which you'll need to open with specific software too.

If this is all sounding much too complicated then you're probably more suited to the 2nd hand market I'm afraid!

I'm sure you would be able to pick up an Office XP CD very cheaply now on e-Bay!
Assuming your original copy was kosher, the serial number from that should still work with a replacement disk.
Personally I would upgrade to Office 2010, which is still in support for a while longer, you can buy genuine (I hope!) serial numbers quite cheaply now, which will come with a link to download the software. That's what I did, and it was very straightforward to do, and legal.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 6:37 AM, Dave-H said:

I'm sure you would be able to pick up an Office XP CD very cheaply now on e-Bay!

Just scored one for $7.75 ($5 + $2.75 shipping). Even included a valid product key!

On 5/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, Dave-H said:

Office XP, despite its name, is the last version that works on Windows 98!

I'm gonna try upgrading my old Win 98 PC from Office 2000.

Good luck!
The Office 2007 Compatibility Pack doesn't officially work on Windows 98, but I did get it to install, and it will allow you to read (I don't know about write) .docx Word documents in Windows 98.
There's a bigger problem with newer Excel and PowerPoint files unfortunately.
:(

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 1:42 PM, Dave-H said:

Windows 98!)
The Compatibility Pack is out of support now.
Office 2010 is very good on XP, at least it was until recent security updates broke it! :angry:
It's the last version to work on XP, and the first version to have a 64 bit version, which I use on Windows 10.

Did you have to install any kb updates for this Compatibilty pack to work (I know where to get them in the windows catalog) or was it hust a simple install

I found this compatibilitypacksp3-kb2526297-fullfile-en-us

also this OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu

with XP 2002 I'm sure I only had the 1 installl disc (which is AFAIK a full one), but have seen there is a upgrade  ro it with a 3 disc

I seem to have 3 folders  here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared Office Office 10 11 and 12 all withe the mso.dll dile

I Still have ALot of the old 95 A & B ,98, 98SE official install CD's

Edited by DrWho3000

@Mathwiz @DrWho3000

The Compatibility Pack should work with just a base install, but there is a SP3 update for it (KB2526297) plus many other subsequent security patches.
See this thread where @actinium has kindly given links to a repository of all the necessary files to install the pack, both for installation and updates until EOS.
As an off-topic aside, I never managed to get the Windows 98 installation beyond base level, SP3 would not install on Windows 98.