Windows cannot load the locally stored profile

FranceBB

Whenever I log in using my account, an error log appears "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved." However, I manage to log in normally and I can do pretty much everything. I mean, I wouldn't even have noticed the "issue" if it wasn't for the error in the event log prompted by "usernv". Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it a false-positive? Is something corrupted?

23 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Whenever I log in using my account, an error log appears "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved." However, I manage to log in normally and I can do pretty much everything. I mean, I wouldn't even have noticed the "issue" if it wasn't for the error in the event log prompted by "usernv". Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it a false-positive? Is something corrupted?

Yes, it is something corrupted, strangely enough the error says it:

"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved."

This usually happens because of an error in the (hopefully permissions only) of the NTFS filesystem.

A good idea would be to boot a PE of some kind and run a CHKDSK.

(First pass only CHKDSK, second pass CHKDSK /F, third pass CHKDSK /R )

Then it is possible that (again for some reason) the usrclass.dat file (or however some profile file) is corrupted.

To fix it, the easiest is to create a new user:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/corrupt-user-profile/#Fix_Corrupt_User_Profile_in_Windows_XP

jaclaz

I run CHKDSK C: /F /R on a monthly basis, nothing pops up. Besides, the drive is kinda new as I clone my disk every 3 years and I replace my hard drives. 

Anyway, I'm gonna follow the link and copy everything into a new profile.

Thanks.

Well, I've seen that happen, maybe some half-a-dozen times with my own XP installations (nowadays I have four bare-metal and one virtual XP SP3 boot-partitions in three physical machnes, but they've been seven bare-metal plus one virtual XP SP3 boot-partitions up to when I decommissioned my two beloved A7V600-X Athlon XP machines -- because they are non-SSE2, to limit how many minorities I belong to -- and gave the wife one Phenom II quadricore machine I assembled but used very little). Observe that all my XP installs, but the virtual one, are on FAT-32, not NTFS, so that permissions were sure not the issue, then (none of the instances happened with the virtual XP installation). My solution, in all cases was to redeploy the previous backup image of the system partition involved, since those never were older than one month, and usually were even more recent. IMO, there actually *is* some quirk, possibly a race-condition or some other problem arrising from a complex interaction among processes in XP that does cause it to clobber the profile info (most commonly the user.dat) once-upon-a-blue-moon. And in every case, after having redeployed the previous system image, the problem did not happen again anytime soon. I think it actually did happen twice on my oldest install, but the two events were two or three years apart, so I deem them unrelated. Sorry for the long-winded post.

The last time it crashed my profile is a few years back. For me it always started with various error messages like Event ID Error 1517 and 1524 until the profile could not be loaded anymore. Since then, I have been using the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service v1.6g, where the functionality since Windows Vista is part of Windows and has not had any problems since then.

:)

Since you're able to log in normally and can do everything, there is probably no real corruption.

Run regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/ProfileList

Highlight each entry and you will be able to see the temporary profiles that were created and are being used.  The correct profiles are still there but have had ".bak" extensions added to them.  Delete the temporary ones and rename the correct profiles by getting rid of the .bak extensions, which will probably fix it.

However, the last time it happened to me, Windows kept recreating the temporary profiles, so I just deleted the temporary profiles and the ones with the .bak extensions, and rebooted, which fixed it.

@dencorso... it's the first time that I experience this in years... I guess I've been lucky so far.

@heinoganda... oh, so it has been integrated in later OS. I followed the guide, but the link was dead. I found out that v1.6 is outdated and the latest version of UPHClean compatible with XP is 2.0.49.0. This because it has been updated via Windows Update in later OS, so they had to release a new .msi for XP as well. Anyway, I now have the service up and running. Hopefully it will prevent further errors.

@bluebolt... I found the temporary profile and I deleted it, after that I renamed the ".bak" and I rebooted, but unfortunately Windows just recreated the temporary profile.

Edited by FranceBB

31 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

UPHClean compatible with XP is 2.0.49.0

I do use that one, too. Even so, I've had a handful of instances of clobbered profiles since about 2005, as I told you. My oldest extant installation dates from 2007, so it's not that frequent, after all.

5 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@heinoganda... oh, so it has been integrated in later OS. I followed the guide, but the link was dead. I found out that v1.6 is outdated and the latest version of UPHClean compatible with XP is 2.0.49.0. This because it has been updated via Windows Update in later OS, so they had to release a new .msi for XP as well. Anyway, I now have the service up and running. Hopefully it will prevent further errors.

As of Windows Vista, the functionality of UPHClean has been integrated, not UPHClean itself. UPHClean version 2.0.49.0 is, to my knowledge, a beta version. The last official version of UPHClean was version 1.6g from August 2012.

Download version 1.6g from Wayback Machine

Edited by heinoganda

9 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I found the temporary profile and I deleted it, after that I renamed the ".bak" and I rebooted, but unfortunately Windows just recreated the temporary profile.

When that happened to me, I deleted both the temp and .bak profiles; when I rebooted, Windows had recreated the correct profile, solving the problem.

13 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I found out that v1.6 is outdated and the latest version of UPHClean compatible with XP is 2.0.49.0.

8 hours ago, heinoganda said:

UPHClean version 2.0.49.0 is, to my knowledge, a beta version. The last official version of UPHClean was version 1.6g from August 2012.

Download version 1.6g from Wayback Machine

Version 1.6g is available from various download sites (MajorGeeks, CNet, etc.) but I can't find 2.0.49.0. Since it's a beta version, does it provide any functionality that would make it worth trying to track it down and update over version 1.6g?