Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


i430VX

ThinkPad Can't Connect to School Interent

Recommended Posts

Hey guys. My ThinkPad T60 (with Intel 345ABG Wireless adapter) cannot connect to my schools internet.

It always gets stuck here:

image.png.bfab0b3c4255884f71a05284ee89f8e2.png

It doesn't fail. It will sit there until the end times.

I know the wireless access points in question use WPA2. But I use WPA2 at home, so that's not the issue. If I boot into Windows 2000 and try to connect using boingo, it also fails. My iPhone SE and the laptop i used to bring (toshiba satellite c55-a) can both connect. I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue? If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

Any Ideas?

Thank you all!

P.S. If I 'borrow' an Ethernet cable from one of the school PCs and attach it to my ethernet port, it works that way. So the network is seeing me and not blocking me that way. But wireless is the problem

 

Edited by i430VX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue?

I think it must be the issue.

Quote

If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

And this must be the solution. However, check if the wireless network is of the "n" type, (it usually is but just in case it isn't).

Edited by HarryTri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, HarryTri said:

I think it must be the issue.

And this must be the solution. However, check if the wireless network is of the "n" type, (it usually is but just in case it isn't).

How do I check? I didn’t happen to see any info in the various dialogs and whatsits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i430VX said:

How do I check? I didn’t happen to see any info in the various dialogs and whatsits.

Hello :) I currently do not have access to an XP laptop, but on my current Vista SP2 one, the "Connect to a Network" window dialog looks like this:

uNWmrgB.jpg

That window lists all wireless networks picked-up by my WLAN card; if you hover mouse over one of them, pop-up (aka tooltip) has relevant info in the "Radio Type" row (e.g. 802.11n); I understand that window dialog is pretty similar in Win7 machines, but am unsure about the state of things in Win10...

If you can't find a similar window in your XP laptop (I only ever had a desktop XP system, with only an ethernet LAN card...), perhaps you could inquire the radio type of your school's Wi-Fi by asking an IT staff member or another person already logged-in...

Hope I've helped...

(BTW, I'm in the range of a total of 10 different WLANs, including mine, only one of them is of radio type g, the rest are all n ;))

 

Edited by VistaLover
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XP has no such luxury. Even though it will be Saturday maybe I'll bike up to the school tomorrow with a windows 7 computer and investigate

Edited by i430VX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, so apparently my home internet is of the 'n' type. How can I connect to it?

Can some fall back, and some can't?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, i430VX said:

Hey guys. My ThinkPad T60 (with Intel 345ABG Wireless adapter) cannot connect to my schools internet.

It always gets stuck here:

image.png.bfab0b3c4255884f71a05284ee89f8e2.png

It doesn't fail. It will sit there until the end times.

I know the wireless access points in question use WPA2. But I use WPA2 at home, so that's not the issue. If I boot into Windows 2000 and try to connect using boingo, it also fails. My iPhone SE and the laptop i used to bring (toshiba satellite c55-a) can both connect. I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue? If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

Any Ideas?

Thank you all!

P.S. If I 'borrow' an Ethernet cable from one of the school PCs and attach it to my ethernet port, it works that way. So the network is seeing me and not blocking me that way. But wireless is the problem

 

I think you have a different issue. My ThinkPad R60 has the same card (the T60 and R60 are identical machines other than cosmetic differences) and has no issues connecting to my network.

You don't need a Wireless N card to connect to a wireless N network. Wireless N is backward compatible to wireless G network cards but the maximum speed will only be 54 mbps.

Stephen Fox's IBM Lenovo ThinkPad R60

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I think you have a different issue. My ThinkPad R60 has the same card (the T60 and R60 are identical machines other than cosmetic differences) and has no issues connecting to my network.

You don't need a Wireless N card to connect to a wireless N network. Wireless N is backward compatible to wireless G network cards but the maximum speed will only be 54 mbps.

Stephen Fox's IBM Lenovo ThinkPad R60

Thanks for the info. I have also tried some wireless-g USB cards, they didnt work either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sdfox7 if your wireless G clients can connect to your wireless N network, then you have it configured that way, or in mixed mode. I run pure G and pure N radios at home, and wireless G devices cannot even see the wireless N radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, Tripredacus said:

@sdfox7 if your wireless G clients can connect to your wireless N network, then you have it configured that way, or in mixed mode. I run pure G and pure N radios at home, and wireless G devices cannot even see the wireless N radio.

Ok. I stated that Wireless N is backward compatible with G up to 54mbps. I am aware Wireless G is not forward compatible with Wireless N.

Most routers I have come across have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios both enabled, which makes sense to maximize compatibility. I believe that legacy devices such as the Nintendo Wii cannot work with Wireless N and must fall back to wireless G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So It must not be a pure N radio, because I can see it.

This ThinkPad can detcect and use my 5ghz home networks (So 5Ghz must exist in G mode, and N) . I don't know if these ones are 5Ghz or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

Ok. I stated that Wireless N is backward compatible with G up to 54mbps. I am aware Wireless G is not forward compatible with Wireless N.

It is not entirely this fact, more like saying N is backwards compatible (as a blanket statement) is more of pushing marketing speak. If Wireless N was backwards compatible, you wouldn't need mixed mode. Mixed mode is the function of the router/AP to use both N and previous types at the same time. When speaking in terms of this backwards compatibiltiy, you must be specific to the device and to the configuration. A, B, G and N are not compatible with each other. It is the interfaces that determine the compatibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the weekend I acquired a D-Link Cloud Router 1100 (Wireless N300 Router). According to the product table on the back of the box, it is single-band 2.4GHz. Higher models are simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz + 5Ghz.

So N (and AC) can be 2.4 and/or 5 GHz
B and G are 2.4 Ghz only
A is 5 GHz only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×