Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
COKEDUDEUSF

Desktop computer is only turning on for a few seconds

My desktop computer is only turning on for a few seconds after that it turns off. I assumed it was the power supply so I bought another one. Last night I installed the power supply. It took awhile with me reseating everything and taking out the cmos battery to get the computer running. After that I used it for about an hour. I went home and came back to the office the next day. Unfortunately it reverted back to the behavior of only turning on for a few seconds after that it turns off. Can I please get some suggestions on what to do?

Check the temperature of the CPU/that the heatsink is properly connected, first thing.

Then, if that is OK, disconnect EVERYTHING from it (and from the motherboard).

Leave ONLY video and keyboard connected.

Boot (actually fail to boot) and enter the BIOS.

If it stays on on the BIOS page, switch it off and re-add (one at the time or in small groups) all the other peripherals, add-on cards, hard disk(s), CD/DVD, etc. and repeat the above boot test (without starting the OS).

jaclaz 

3 hours ago, COKEDUDEUSF said:

Can I please get some suggestions on what to do?

In addition to jaclaz suggestions: check all heatsinks' fans to start turning when you power on the PC. If any of the fans don't start, clean it gently. If cleaning don't help, replace the fan.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:41 AM, jaclaz said:

Check the temperature of the CPU/that the heatsink is properly connected, first thing.

Then, if that is OK, disconnect EVERYTHING from it (and from the motherboard).

Leave ONLY video and keyboard connected.

Boot (actually fail to boot) and enter the BIOS.

If it stays on on the BIOS page, switch it off and re-add (one at the time or in small groups) all the other peripherals, add-on cards, hard disk(s), CD/DVD, etc. and repeat the above boot test (without starting the OS).

jaclaz 

How do I check the temperature? The only way I know to do that is to use a program like Everest or check in the bios. It cuts off to fast for me to do that.

3 hours ago, COKEDUDEUSF said:

How do I check the temperature? The only way I know to do that is to use a program like Everest or check in the bios. It cuts off to fast for me to do that.

Well, you first check the heatsink (visually, by prodding it, etc., even better dismounting it, making sure that thermal paste/grease is fine), if it is properly seated, good (and of course, as Yellow Horror suggested the CPU fan shoulf be spinning).

A common issue (when a computer shuts off quickly) is that the processor is overheating, like when there is no heatsink properly connected, there is a thermal protection on it that will switch off the computer.

Then, if that is OK, you do the routine of stripping each and every unneeded piece of peripherals, leaving only the video and jetboard connected and see what happens.

Typically it is likely than an "external" (in the sense of anything not physically soldered to the motherboard) device or that cable/connection to it is either defective or mis-connected (or badlt seated), so removing everything often makes the thing "stay on".

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz

Do a visual inspection of barrel capacitors on the motherboard. These are the ones that look like there is a + (or three pronged "mercedes benz") shape in the top and the tops are silver. They should all be flat. If any are raised or have discoloration on the tops, then this may be a problem. If you are not certain about it, you can post a picture.

Another situation where I have seen this has been with the RAM. You can try having just one stick inserted and rotate them. Also you can try turning the computer on without any RAM installed. Of course, the computer will not boot with this type of setup, but it should still turn on. Some computers may have an audible beep code when no memory is installed.

There are various other things that can cause this situation, but when it comes down to it, one of the main components is failed or failing. The only time I have seen this issue where there wasn't a component failure, was due to a grounding issue. However, on a previously known working computer, this is usually not the cause.

BUT, while you're in your case, good a time as any to get any dust out of there! And you know, if you do end up posting a picture of the insides and there is dust in that picture, I'm sure someone will point it out! :D