Newer motherboards that support WinXP

jim2029

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

...NVMe.sys...NVMe disk...

(which lead XP to load scsiport.sys, and this *seems* to be the reason why storport.sys fails to load afterwards). This is a question that remains to be eventully elucidated.

(This may have been mentioned and tried before; if so I'm way behind the curve and I'd be interested in seeing any discussion of it. :blushing:)

As I understand it, one has to use STORPORT.SYS from Windows Server 2003 x86 since XP x86 does not have this file, correct?

Has anyone tried simply using the Server 2003 x86 SCSIPORT.SYS paired with the STORPORT.SYS driver? Maybe Microsoft fixed whatever the issue is and made them able to coexist under Server 2003? :dubbio:

Also, for the record, XP x64 already has STORPORT.SYS included; might be an option for some people provided XP x86 is not absolutely required.

Well, yes: storport.sys v. 5.2.3790.4173 (from KB957910)... but, then, no: is there actually any SCSIPORT.SYS in Server 2k3? :dubbio:
the problem is complex anyway, because the early loading (when needed) of scsiport.sys is hardcoded into the XP NT-Kernel, and cannot be disabled from the registry (or replaced by storport.sys).

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

is there actually any SCSIPORT.SYS in Server 2k3? :dubbio:

I assumed there would be, as both exist right now in the \system32\drivers folder on my XP x64 system. (not certain whether they are both loaded or if storport is even used)

But I haven't examined Server 2003 x86 or x64 directly myself.

Of course all this is moot if Microsoft "fixed" the problem by changing the code in the Kernel rather than making the drivers coexist. But even in this case one might be able to reverse engineer the changes if they have the required knowledge...

Edited by LoneCrusader

6 hours ago, dencorso said:

Of course, Dietmar deseves respect, and, in what regards to contributing, he did so more than most already. :worship:
That said, his results with Kai's NVMe.sys were quite different than mine, and I suspect that's due to the fact he used a single NVMe disk stand-alone (and hence caused XP not to load scsiport.sys during start-up), while my results were due to my not being interested in actually booting from NVMe, but just using it on a system booted from any other device, and so doing it in a machine with other SATA HDDs and SSDs (which lead XP to load scsiport.sys, and this *seems* to be the reason why storport.sys fails to load afterwards). This is a question that remains to be eventully elucidated.

I ran some experiments. SCSIPORT.SYS does not seem to be used when using the standard drivers. AHCIX86 and UNIATA use SCSIPORT.SYS. If you are using either or something similar it may be a problem.

I booted off one of two AHCI Drives with a NMVE Drive present. I saw all three drives. The SCSIPORT.SYS Driver was loaded before the STORPORT.SYS Driver but there did not seem to be any conflict.

That complicates things, I guess... Fact is I got "EventID: 7026. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: nvme" on my every attempt to get XP to see NVMe disks with Kai's drivers. I'm using the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (iaStor.sys v. 11.2.0.1006) in all 3 XP SP3 installations I've tried (2 on a Z68 and one on a H67 rev. B3 motherboards). For more about what I've tried, see the post quoted below and some others around it. 

I also installed XP SP3 on an Intel nvme optane drive on the EVGA dark z390 board. Waaoh, this is faster than speed of light^^, boots in 4 seconds full XP. Internet works, USB 3.1 via Asmedia and full ACPI support. But I have no sound. I tried extra soundcard from Asus Xonar (for XP) the driver installs but does not start. My NVIDIA gtx 980 works, but also no sound on HDMI line, same message "diver does not start". May be this happens, because it is a very early Bios version for XP. Next I use the DSDT table from that XP-Bios and put it to version Bios104, hope for better (I WANT SOUND:))!!!)

Dietmar

PS: The latest lan driver I got working in XP was i217. i218 and i219 do no work, even not with modded inf file.

When you take a look at Win 7 and Dependency Walker you see, that driver for i219 is different from before, see also

https://blog.kylemanna.com/hardware/intel-nic-igb-i211-vs-e1000e-i219/

Edited by Dietmar

Oha,
I just noticed, that the timer in the original XP Bios from EVGA for the z390 dark motherboard not works.
And also compi stays always in C0 state, brrr.
And the most crazy thing: This happens also in Win10, power consumption on 9900k always about 27 Watt..

Now I chance all against my modified

acpi.sys
hal.dll
intelppm.sys

and all is nice:
Full ACPI support with Hyperthreading, Timer works, powerconsumption on 9900k about 2 Watt:)).

This simple means,
we, Mov AX, 0xDEAD and me Dietmar
are better :))
Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

On 4/7/2019 at 3:49 AM, Dietmar said:

Oha,
I just noticed, that the timer in the original XP Bios from EVGA for the z390 dark motherboard not works.
And also compi stays always in C0 state, brrr.
And the most crazy thing: This happens also in Win10, power consumption on 9900k always about 27 Watt..

acpi.sys
hal.dll
intelppm.sys

and all is nice:
Full ACPI support with Hyperthreading, Timer works, powerconsumption on 9900k about 2 Watt:)).

This simple means,
we, Mov AX, 0xDEAD and me Dietmar
are better :))
Dietmar

Can I know more about your system file modification for ACPI?

@Dibya,

I change 3 Byte.

Look at acpi.sys with Hexeditor and replace

75F87414FF -> 75F8EB14FF
84C07508FF -> 84C0EB08FF
59597C21A1 -> 59597C00A1

thats all. It overcomes some stupid tests from acpi.sys in DSDT table in Bios (for example checksum).

This was the breakthrough for full ACPI support in XP on all newer motherboards

Dietmar

Good :).

I guess that through some additional torture :w00t: :ph34r: we will manage to have - before or later - if not something easily reproducible, at least the patches for hal.dll and intelppm.sys.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

7 hours ago, Dietmar said:

@Dibya,

I change 3 Byte.

75F87414FF -> 75F8EB14FF
84C07508FF -> 84C0EB08FF
59597C21A1 -> 59597C00A1

thats all. It overcomes some stupid tests from acpi.sys in DSDT table in Bios (for example checksum).

Dietmar

Well , commander , the patches will be deployed against our biggest enemies on the border of XPLand , the blue kid !

Hope Red boy will not invade us soon

8 hours ago, Dietmar said:

@Dibya,

I change 3 Byte.

75F87414FF -> 75F8EB14FF
84C07508FF -> 84C0EB08FF
59597C21A1 -> 59597C00A1

Dietmar

:worship::worship::cheerleader::cheerleader::worship::worship:

On 4/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, Dietmar said:

acpi.sys
hal.dll
intelppm.sys

But, but ...  you had mentioned hal.dll and intelppm.sys ... what do we have to do on them? Moreover, which hal (halmacpi or halmps) exactly do you use? :unsure::dubbio:

BTW, prudence demands adding both KB951126 and KB958244 to a general installation, the latter being mandatory for machines having more than 8 logical cores. :yes:

Today, 9. April 2019 I got 13 updates for XP :)).

I do not know, where to upload this 3 files.

The files are all for german version of XP 32 bit,

but when you compare them via Hexeditor with your original files,

at onces you see the difference.

intelppm.sys works for all languages,

but acpi.sys and hal.dll need to

be fixed by yourself

Dietmar

ACPIcool.rar

At

https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-SP-bit-and-modern-PC-parts.html

you can see the whole thread.

I tried to build a complete new acpi.sys for XP

because I know, that the very first version of Vista Longhorn April 2005

had the same problem with ACPI, because based on ACPI 1.b.

Later versions of Vista learns new vocabulary, 14 pieces from ACPI 2.0.

This I tried to teach them XP acpi.sys also.

But it needs so much time and I can do this kind of fun only in my holidays.

Read the thread at Fernando. The latest Bios for the APEX X motherboard does not need

any more than those 3 files, no need to change Bios!

But other manufactures BIOS are worse.

By the way, the clock changed in newer chipsets.

Until now, I do not see a XP Bios, with working clock z370, z390 and ACPI.

So, you need also hal.dll for clock and intelppm.sys for powermanagment C1, C2..states

Dietmar