Installing XP on new motherboards.

Roffen

There is something terribly wrong with the second machine that I installed with a M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard. Everything runs at snails pace and I can't stand it. I changed the SATA parameters from AHCI to IDE but don't see much difference. Anyway, I'm going to get a SSD drive and hope a miracle happens. What could possibly be different on this machine; the first one runs perfectly! With a SSD drive though.

Edited by Roffen
text fix.

Have you set the HDD controller to Compatibility/IDE mode? 

At what point do you get the BSoD?
What does it say?

On my fairly new-ish board, I had to also disable all of the CPU cores in BIOS except the first one, install XP SP3, and re-enable them.

If/When you need them, here is drivers for the board. Just select XP from the list and there they are.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Edited by Mr.Presario

Mr.Presario, what problem did you have before you disabled CPU cores?

ETA: Everything is so slow I am about to give up, it doesn't make sense! Even using a typical 7200 rpm hard drive, booting ought not take so much time to appear as painfully slow. On the order of several minutes! I can't believe the problem is in my 4GB of DRAM? I put one each of two 2GB RAM strips in the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 sockets.

Edited by Roffen
Refining text.

Yes, I got something like that, but didn't write it down. Earlier experience is that I don' get any feedback on it. Therefore I ignored it this time. Will take care if it happens again. I thought I'd get some advantages from replacing my old motherboards like the M5A78L-M USB3. That one has never give me any problems at all, running steady as a rock. I'd gladly swap one of the M6A99FX PRO R2.0's with a M5A78L-M USB3. I regret I started this upgrading project. I'd have saved some money and a lot of effort  without it. And I haven't learned much from it either.

I feel you pain! I've upgraded all my desktops (I had four, now I have just three plus a rather old netbook which I love: an EeePC 900). It was a big pain and I did learn very little, too. But I had decided it wasn't worth it to keep on non-SSE2 machines anymore, so I don't regret it. But sure it was a mostly a painful process.  :}

To answer your question @Roffen it would copy setup files to the HDD, restart, get to the "Installing Devices" stage, and halfway through, BSoD. 0x0000007b If I recall correctly.

I see you edited your initial post. If its very slow, have you installed the chipset drivers yet?

No, I've not done anything to the BIOS. First thing I do after powering up a newly assembled machine is to install the drivers from the support CD. Installing the Nvidia Geforce, Netgear wireless and Realtek network drivers are about the last to be installed.

With the M5A99FX... motherboard and  the AMD FX6300 6-core CPU (APU), it take 40 seconds from pushing the on-button until the screen hourglass changes into the regular pointer. That's on the No1 machine I assembled, The No2 machine is a headache. I made a litmus test this morning. I move the SSD disk from the No1 machine to the No2 machine, and as soon as the initial screen of the XP boot process appears on the No2 machine, an error msg shows for a split second before the screen shows the BSoD. That limits the problem to the mobo itself or the BIOS. If there is a BIOS problem, I don't know how or if I could fix it. I think I will contact the supplier about it. I would have tried to record the screen to my cell phone but I only know how to record stills, no movies.

Need to know what the STOP code is, not speculation about what it is.

You should still be able to disable the automatic restart on system failure, even on an install, using F8 menu. This will make it so the error remains on the screen until you manually shutdown or reboot the system.

Well, now maybe I have the problems licked, maybe signorina fortuna finally heard my prayers. Anyhow, things look quite a lot better this late evening than the last three-four days. I succeeded installing XP with no hitches, and went on to install motherboard drivers and finally the graphics driver. And it all runs sooo smoothly! On the card I suspected was kaput!  On the day of victory, who count his lost battles? I don't expect to be back here for a long time, just enjoying my last days here at my St. Helena. Pray for me that installing Sp4 won't cause more problems.

I am afraid backup of systems have never been handled well by me. Copies of files - I always make several, more than I never have had to use;) and installing SP4 has never caused any trouble. Should I just install the code for POS updates to the registry instead? 

if it's never caused u problems than theres no reason to not try it, I think he meant theres nothing in Sp4 but basically post Sp3 hotfixes and some pos ones.  So ya its easy way to get them all at once, but it compared to like other update packs like userhiddens + Pos its basically the same.