Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Sign in to follow this  
burd

Windows Vista Updates

Recommended Posts

I Created this post wondering if anyone has managed to make a patch of some sorts to get windows 2008 server updates to vista.If anyone has any idea,do let me know for sure. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK, nobody has done so (yet). I have a feeling it isn't going to work either, at least not without modification to the updates themselves (view this to find out more):

On 3/31/2017 at 11:27 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Speaking of that, I took a look at the update .MSU files for Powershell 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 and Powershell 2.0 for Windows Vista by extracting them with 7zip. I got two .CAB files for each update, along with an .XML file in each. Here's a screenshot of the .XML files from each update opened in Slimjet side-by-side for comparison: http://prntscr.com/er0kug

If you look closely, the build number specified for each OS is different. My guess is that Microsoft used this to differentiate between Client (WinVista) and Server (Win2k8) when releasing updates for each OS to prevent installation of Server-only updates on Client and vice versa. 

If this is also the case with security-only updates released for Server 2008 post April 2017, Server 2008 updates more than likely won't work under Vista and will require modification of the .MSU/.CAB files (assuming someone here knows how/is willing to do that...) and even then, I'd imagine it would be a huge pain in the neck to have to perform that for each individual update... Taking this information into account, the future of Windows Vista doesn't seem too bright. :unsure:

We can only hope...

However, Tuesday (April 11) will tell... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

AFAIK, nobody has done so (yet). I have a feeling it isn't going to work either, at least not without modification to the updates themselves (view this to find out more):

However, Tuesday (April 11) will tell... 

I think manually updates should be extracted then replaced by hands .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they already install manually just fine.  The only thing that doesn't work is Powershell, and some 2008-specific updates.  That's what I understood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

AFAIK, nobody has done so (yet). I have a feeling it isn't going to work either, at least not without modification to the updates themselves (view this to find out more):

However, Tuesday (April 11) will tell... 

The Powershell 3.0 is screwed up at me. Firstly I installed it on Server 2008 SP2 it gave me not applicable error. Later I installed Powershell 2.0 and then tried to install 3.0, and it gave me the same error. How you can install it on Server 2008? Do I need a platform update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sanszajnrege said:

The Powershell 3.0 is screwed up at me. Firstly I installed it on Server 2008 SP2 it gave me not applicable error. Later I installed Powershell 2.0 and then tried to install 3.0, and it gave me the same error. How you can install it on Server 2008? Do I need a platform update?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/setup/installing-windows-powershell#BKMK_InstallingOnWindowsServer2008LH

Quote

On Windows Server 2008 systems, Windows Management Framework (Windows PowerShell 2.0, KB 968930) is a prerequisite for Windows Management Framework 3.0. The "Extended Protection for Authentication" feature protects the computer from authentication forwarding attacks and allows you to use the UseSSL parameter when creating remote sessions. To install Windows PowerShell 3.0 and the Windows PowerShell 2.0 Engine, use the following procedure.

Getting ready to install

Before installing Windows Management Framework 3.0, uninstall any previous versions of Windows Management Framework 3.0.

To install Windows PowerShell 3.0

Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 with Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=242910.

Install Windows Management Framework (Windows PowerShell 2.0, KB 968930) from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243035.

Install the full installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe) from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212547.

Or, install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe) from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=242919.

Install "Extended Protection for Authentication" (KB 968389) from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=186398.

Install Windows Management Framework 3.0 from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=240290.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JodyT said:

I think they already install manually just fine.  The only thing that doesn't work is Powershell, and some 2008-specific updates.  That's what I understood.

Are you referring to what @sanszajnrege said?  I'm not trying to be rude, but I wouldn't take someone saying that one update works (and without even elaborating on what specific update they tried) as confirmation that Server 2008 security-only updates work in Vista. Otherwise, the only update I tried (at first) was Powershell 3.0 for Server 2008, but from my understanding (according to a knowledgeable source that greenhill consulted), Powershell 3.0 is completely incompatible with Windows Vista, for some reason. 

However, I did some more searching on the Microsoft Update Catalog site, and tried several different Server 2008 security updates on Vista, and they all installed just fine, oddly enough. Here's a link to the updates I tried (excluding the Server 2008 R2 updates, the Sharepoint services update, and some outdated security updates for IE8. Also, I only tried those on page 1 of the search results): https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security update server 2008 x64

This is a good sign that May 2017 (and beyond) Server 2008 security-only updates will work in Vista. However, it should be noted that most if not all of the updates I tried have Vista-only versions too, so Microsoft could decide to change something regarding the compilation of future Server 2008 security-only updates (when Vista is no longer supported) that prevents them from installing under Vista. Retracting my last statement about April 11th, it will be the next patch Tuesday that excludes Windows Vista that will give us answers, so make that... May 9th, IIRC?

After this finding, my outlook on the situation has changed. I believe that Vista users will be set until 2020, as far as security-only updates go, as long as Microsoft doesn't get any ideas (and at this point, that seems unlikely, given that Server 2008 is no longer in mainstream support). I also doubt that we'll have to worry about incompatible updates, since Microsoft didn't include Server 2008 support in newer .NET framework updates (4.6.1 requires 2008 R2 or later). The only updates I'd imagine wouldn't work would be anything to do with Powershell 3.0. But does that component even get updated at all? 

I hope I didn't sound rude (that was certainly not my intention), I just don't want people to get their hopes up and then just get hit with disappointment come Vista's EOL. However, like I said, I believe we'll be fine, but I like to take everything into consideration before I jump to conclusions, because Microsoft can be pretty unpredictable sometimes. 

Best regards.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding of the issue is the following: Microsoft will continue to release security updates that are common to both Vista and Server 2008, but some that fix specific Server issues won't work.

10 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Otherwise, the only update I tried (at first) was Powershell 3.0 for Server 2008, but from my understanding (according to a knowledgeable source that greenhill consulted), Powershell 3.0 is completely incompatible with Windows Vista, for some reason. 

Also, to elaborate on the Powershell issue: Powershell 5.x was installable on Windows 8.0, because the .mum files inside the .cab, inside the .msu were NT6.2 agnostic (Basically, the .mum files have the info on which components to install, and they only required a x64 NT6.2 install). Powershell 3.0 on the other hand, had .mum files the required specifically Server 2008, and so a Vista install was impossible (update hacking only goes so far).

10 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I also doubt that we'll have to worry about incompatible updates, since Microsoft didn't include Server 2008 support in newer .NET framework updates (4.6.1 requires 2008 R2 or later). The only updates I'd imagine wouldn't work would be anything to do with Powershell 3.0. But does that component even get updated at all? 

Actually, I've tested this, and .NET Framework 4.6.1 installs just fine on Vista. No errors whatsoever (I haven't tested .NET Framework 4.6.2, but I assume it's the same).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Are you referring to what @sanszajnrege said?  I'm not trying to be rude, but I wouldn't take someone saying that one update works (and without even elaborating on what specific update they tried) as confirmation that Server 2008 security-only updates work in Vista. Otherwise, the only update I tried (at first) was Powershell 3.0 for Server 2008, but from my understanding (according to a knowledgeable source that greenhill consulted), Powershell 3.0 is completely incompatible with Windows Vista, for some reason. 

However, I did some more searching on the Microsoft Update Catalog site, and tried several different Server 2008 security updates on Vista, and they all installed just fine, oddly enough. Here's a link to the updates I tried (excluding the Server 2008 R2 updates, the Sharepoint services update, and some outdated security updates for IE8. Also, I only tried those on page 1 of the search results): https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security update server 2008 x64

This is a good sign that May 2017 (and beyond) Server 2008 security-only updates will work in Vista. However, it should be noted that most if not all of the updates I tried have Vista-only versions too, so Microsoft could decide to change something regarding the compilation of future Server 2008 security-only updates (when Vista is no longer supported) that prevents them from installing under Vista. Retracting my last statement about April 11th, it will be the next patch Tuesday that excludes Windows Vista that will give us answers, so make that... May 9th, IIRC?

After this finding, my outlook on the situation has changed. I believe that Vista users will be set until 2020, as far as security-only updates go, as long as Microsoft doesn't get any ideas (and at this point, that seems unlikely, given that Server 2008 is no longer in mainstream support). I also doubt that we'll have to worry about incompatible updates, since Microsoft didn't include Server 2008 support in newer .NET framework updates (4.6.1 requires 2008 R2 or later). The only updates I'd imagine wouldn't work would be anything to do with Powershell 3.0. But does that component even get updated at all? 

I hope I didn't sound rude (that was certainly not my intention), I just don't want people to get their hopes up and then just get hit with disappointment come Vista's EOL. However, like I said, I believe we'll be fine, but I like to take everything into consideration before I jump to conclusions, because Microsoft can be pretty unpredictable sometimes. 

Best regards.

Oh man, I've tried only one update, someone from the newest 4xxxxx range. Why should I try everyone cause EVERYONE are so far not edition dependant? Especially for you:

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4012598)

windows6.0-kb4012598-x86_13e9b3d77ba5599764c296075a796c16a85c745c.msu

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB4012598)

windows6.0-kb4012598-x86_13e9b3d77ba5599764c296075a796c16a85c745c.msu

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB958623)

windows6.0-kb958623-x86_e1a442325f78b4b2f61367af47848f189ac64210.msu

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB958623)

windows6.0-kb958623-x86_e1a442325f78b4b2f61367af47848f189ac64210.msu

The first one is one of the newest, and the second one is one of the oldest. Notice that some kind of checksum at the end of filename? It's bit to bit IDENTICAL. Why should I try every update released since all of them are the same? Do you think that M$ would do any changes just to screw few people installing Server 2008 updates on Vista? I'm not (look Server 2012/8 case). Once again, I mean only security updates.

You now, we're all guessing now. We should just wait. ;)

Powershell 3.0 is not so important thing, I even don't know what is it for. Everything goes about security updates.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sanszajnrege said:

Oh man, I've tried only one update, someone from the newest 4xxxxx range. Why should I try everyone cause EVERYONE are so far not edition dependant? Especially for you:

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4012598)

windows6.0-kb4012598-x86_13e9b3d77ba5599764c296075a796c16a85c745c.msu

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB4012598)

windows6.0-kb4012598-x86_13e9b3d77ba5599764c296075a796c16a85c745c.msu

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB958623)

windows6.0-kb958623-x86_e1a442325f78b4b2f61367af47848f189ac64210.msu

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB958623)

windows6.0-kb958623-x86_e1a442325f78b4b2f61367af47848f189ac64210.msu

The first one is one of the newest, and the second one is one of the oldest. Notice that some kind of checksum at the end of filename? It's bit to bit IDENTICAL. Why should I try every update released since all of them are the same? Do you think that M$ would do any changes just to screw few people installing Server 2008 updates on Vista? I'm not (look Server 2012/8 case). Once again, I mean only security updates.

You now, we're all guessing now. We should just wait. ;)

Powershell 3.0 is not so important thing, I even don't know what is it for. Everything goes about security updates.

I didn't say to try all updates, but to try at least more than one or even two, to give us a better idea of whether at least most Server 2008 security updates will work in Vista. Sorry for the confusion.

Trying only one (security) update, in my opinion, isn't enough to go all out and say that all  Server 2008 security updates will work on Vista... Maybe you weren't meaning to imply that, and maybe I just misunderstood. But the way you put it in a couple of your prior posts:

On 3/30/2017 at 11:47 AM, sanszajnrege said:

Server 2008 updates work on Vista.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:48 PM, sanszajnrege said:

I tried only one,

...made it look to me like you were implying that since you tried only one security update, that all of them would work in Vista. Even if the filenames are similar or the same, there's a chance that the updates still won't work in Vista, because Microsoft does indeed have the ability to make updates Server-only or Client-only if they see fit, as I'm sure you know. Take the platform update for example, the filenames and even the file sizes are the same, but there are separate versions for Vista and 2008, and neither of them will work on the opposing OS. Microsoft has different version numbers inside the CAB files contained in the .MSU files to identify each update as either Client or Server compatible. If the version number inside the update mismatches the "host" OS, the update will NOT  install. This is the main reason why Powershell 3.0 doesn't work. I'm guessing for the Server 2008 security updates that do work under Vista, there is no specific number specified, for whatever reason, other than just NT 6.0.6002, which is why the updates work in Vista. 

I actually agree with you about Powershell, as I never use the program myself. I was just tinkering around with the update to see if the version number contained within it could be changed to make it install under Vista. But as greenhillmaniac points out, it can't be done, so I have stopped bothering with it. 

I'm not trying to be rude or argue about it, but like I said before, I just want to make sure we have strong evidence to make an educated guess, and judging by the information that has been presented to me, I can confidently "guess" that most Server 2008 security updates will work in Vista :) But we have to wait until May 9th to know for sure, so I'm not going to worry about it until then. 

18 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

My understanding of the issue is the following: Microsoft will continue to release security updates that are common to both Vista and Server 2008, but some that fix specific Server issues won't work.

Also, to elaborate on the Powershell issue: Powershell 5.x was installable on Windows 8.0, because the .mum files inside the .cab, inside the .msu were NT6.2 agnostic (Basically, the .mum files have the info on which components to install, and they only required a x64 NT6.2 install). Powershell 3.0 on the other hand, had .mum files the required specifically Server 2008, and so a Vista install was impossible (update hacking only goes so far).

Actually, I've tested this, and .NET Framework 4.6.1 installs just fine on Vista. No errors whatsoever (I haven't tested .NET Framework 4.6.2, but I assume it's the same).

Thank you for the information. That's very interesting to know about .NET Framework 4.6.1. I wonder if future (major) versions of .NET Framework, whether it be 4.7 or 5.0, will work. That's stretching it a bit, though. 

Edited by 2008WindowsVista
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, Microsoft is dropping Windows Vista support after today. We don't know right now if there are any final updates or that Windows Vista is missing out on its last chance for a update until we check. :(

Update: There were 11 updates available on the Windows Vista platform today. However this is going to be the last time updates will be able on the OS.

Edited by ppgrainbow
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

Sadly, Microsoft is dropping Windows Vista support after today. We don't know right now if there are any final updates or that Windows Vista is missing out on its last chance for a update until we check. :(

Update: There were 11 updates available on the Windows Vista platform today. However this is going to be the last time updates will be able on the OS.

april 11th 2017 updates for vista?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, burd said:

april 11th 2017 updates for vista?

Yep.

I'm currently waiting on the security updates for April 2017 to be archived. If I'm not lazy, I can check the update history on which security updates were made available for Windows Vista yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ppgrainbow said:

Yep.

I'm currently waiting on the security updates for April 2017 to be archived. If I'm not lazy, I can check the update history on which security updates were made available for Windows Vista yesterday.

Thats some good and bad news :)

Good News That we got some final updates(which werent expected)

Bad News They were the last ones :(

I would like to know what were present in those updates,please tell us as soon as you find out :)

Edited by burd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...