Heavy Duty Copy/Move Problems

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

Copying back and forth from a flash drive or external hard drive is almost impossible with several dozen
small files or numerous large files.  Specifically, the external hard drives have USB and eSATA ports.  The
system crashes and/or freezes using both configurations.

All the problems go away if I use a Boot CD like BartPE or Hiren's.  The small number of running processes
in a minimalist boot disk must be the reason why copying (or moving) runs smoothly.

As you know, there are many Copy/Move apps that supposedly offer better control when data is being
transferred.  I've tried BurstCopy and TeraCopy.  There is no doubt that these apps move bytes quickly,
but they hang just like Windows own copy and move commands.

Most of the members at Stack Overflow are advanced computer users.  They all say something like "I found
this great app (name) and all the problems went away."  TeraCopy is on this list, but it didn't fix anything.
Is there any app listed here (or not) that might resolve my copy and move problems?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1329/what-is-a-better-file-copy-alternative-than-the-windows-default

CHKDSK C: /F /R ("c is the letter of the drive you want to scan), as Dibya suggested.

Besides, I generally use TotalCommander for batch operations like renaming several files etc, but it can move files as well and you can adjust (limit) the transfer speed as well.

Not just that, in Windows settings be sure that the PIO mode is DEACTIVATED, as it's an old transfer method used by the system which implies some expensive CPU workloads. 

Last but not least, use Speccy to check the drive health and check the S.M.A.R.T data as well. ;)

I would recommend to find the cause of the actual problem.

We know XP Pro_SP3 is capable of transfering files, we know your hardware is capable because it works through BartPE or Hiren's, it seems to be there is an issue in that specific OS installation you have there (whether corrupted files, drivers, configuration, etc).

+1 for teracopy (when the actual issue is resolved).

I did run CHKDSK before posting.  It wouldn't hurt to run it again.

You can check for PIO or DMA in Device Manager.  Properties for each item under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
shows the transfer mode as "DMA if available."

Whenever I've got a serious problem I always assume there is something wrong with the operating system.
Obviously, you should consider hardware as a possible cause, but in this case there no doubt in my mind
the system is the culprit.  Unfortunately, I must agree with you MikeyV.

FranceBB, I think adjusting or limiting the data transfer speed could be the solution.  The system freeze up
occurs when the transfer speed reaches its peak.  It's like a car accident where someone slams on their brakes
and all the cars in the rear become part of a chain collision.  I'll try TotalCommander (or a similar app) that can
limit transfer speeds.

Edited by HoppaLong

7 hours ago, MikeyV said:

I would recommend to find the cause of the actual problem.

Well, let's stick with this and:

On 10.09.2016 at 7:47 AM, HoppaLong said:

Copying back and forth from a flash drive or external hard drive is almost impossible with several dozen
small files or numerous large files

Well, you mean from a flash drive to HDD or from HDD to flash? What if you copy the same files from External HDD to flash or from flash to flash? I think it might be simple way to find out if it is problem with internal HDD (hardware, drivers, whateva...) or something more general. What d'ya'all say? I know there is a SMART, but smart can lie...

ULTRACOPIER (Version 1.2.3.4) WORKED PERFECTLY!

https://ultracopier.first-world.info/

As I mentioned in my original post, I've got external hard drives with USB and eSATA ports.  I gave up trying to
copy or move files with XP Pro and eSATA.  It was impossible.  I was forced to use the slower USB configuration.

A few hours ago Ultracopier transferred thousands of folders stuffed with files.  Copying to and from the eSATA
connected hard drives and several SanDisk Cruzer flash drives.  50 GB of data without a single glitch!

I WATCHED THE DATA TRANSFER SPEED.  IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS!

Ultracopier is stand alone app.  It must function inside the Windows environment, but it not just a pretty shell
extension for Microsoft's copy and move commands.  Ultracopier loads and unloads from the system.  It appears
in the Context Menu only when its running.  That's why it works so well!

Thank you Dibya, FranceBB, HarryTri, MikeyV, and Mcinwwl.

Edited by HoppaLong