Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.1

bigmuscle

greetings, folks...

I'm new on this forum but I use AeroGlass since a while.

yeah, I have had my share of trouble with the new 14393 update too. after a half a day struggling (and two system restores from backup image :) ), I concluded this: AeroGlass 1.4.5 (even 1.4.1) DOES work with build 14393 with some limitations.

yeah, it crashes the display driver as it is if you simply update your win10. but you can fix this.

you have to delete your DWM symbols folder from AeroGlass folder. and don't even try to download them again until we have a new AeroGlass update. If AeroGlass finds DWM symbols for itself, it tries to use it and crashes the display driver many times. If it does NOT find symbol table, tries to run without it and it works kind of acceptably.

yeah, the old theme atlases and layout files don't work either. but if you use AeroGlass without them, you'll have a plain, but glassy surface.

Hang on tight until Big Muscle helps us out with a more conclusive solution... :)

Sweet I'm gonna try this thanks! Edit: which folders or files do we delete? I deleted the whole symbols folder in aeroglass folder but still have the flickering ugh

Edited by jscarano

58 minutes ago, jscarano said:

Sweet I'm gonna try this thanks! Edit: which folders or files do we delete? I deleted the whole symbols folder in aeroglass folder but still have the flickering ugh

you did well to delete the symbols folder in aeroglass folder. after that, restart your windows to restart aeroglass. when it asks to download symbols, click cancel. to be sure, block dwm.exe on your firewall.

2 hours ago, Mostly Harmless said:

you did well to delete the symbols folder in aeroglass folder. after that, restart your windows to restart aeroglass. when it asks to download symbols, click cancel. to be sure, block dwm.exe on your firewall.

It never asked to download symbols. I guess I should just block dwm in the firewall. I have to do all this in safemode because as soon as I installed it my screen and computer go crazy and I cant use the computer at all

I renamed the symbols folder to symbols.disabled, and changed the name of the *.key files to *.key.disabled so that it wouldn't automatically download symbols.  I did have to do this from a Linux boot CD (parted magic) but a Windows rescue disk would probably work too.

To all who need to stop symbols from being downloaded to the AeroGlass folder just rename this file symsrv.dll to symsrv.dll.bak.
That should do it.
BTW, that file is usually in the C:\AeroGlass folder :D

Edited by Dreamweaver01

4 hours ago, Dreamweaver01 said:

To all who need to stop symbols from being downloaded to the AeroGlass folder just rename this file symsrv.dll to symsrv.dll.bak.
That should do it.
BTW, that file is usually in the C:\AeroGlass folder :D

This is what I did pretty much, instead though I just made a new folder in the aeroglass folder and put that file in there, at least doing it that way you can keep using your donate key and remove the desktop watermark.

One of the most important things to remember when using AeroGlass if you are having display driver crashes is to hold the Ctrl button and it will stop loading AeroGlass and then you can rename or move the symsrv.dll or disable Aero Glass.

Edited by MrGRiM
Extra info

Aero glass works just fine for the most part for Windows 10 RS 1 build 14393.10. However, when a window is inactive there is a line through the title. How and when will this be fixed?

Edited by Gatharian

1 minute ago, Gatharian said:

Aero glass works just fine for the most part for Windows 10 RS 1 build 14393.10. However, when a window is inactive there is a line through the title. How and when will this be fixed?

Sro0i1w.jpg

Currently if you are using AeroGlass on RS1 you will get artefacts, the solution to this is to use the AeroGlass GUI and disable the blur, also change Caption glow effect mode to either no glow effect or use theme setting to fix the caption text.

35 minutes ago, MrGRiM said:

Currently if you are using AeroGlass on RS1 you will get artefacts, the solution to this is to use the AeroGlass GUI and disable the blur, also change Caption glow effect mode to either no glow effect or use theme setting to fix the caption text.

Would we get that on version 1607 Build 14393.10 that is not RS? thanks

54 minutes ago, jscarano said:

Would we get that on version 1607 Build 14393.10 that is not RS? thanks

Yes, 1607 Build 14393.10 is RS1 (Redstone One) aka Windows 10 Anniversary Update