Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, Tripredacus said:

No. I use my devices appropriately.

"Appropriately" is in the eye of the beholder.

Regarding what *I* personally find INappropriate...  If when I request a "normal" browsing experience (i.e., one and the same as what I get on my computer) instead I get a site that "dumbs itself down" and delivers a mobile site that provides far less information and won't respond to a reverse-pinch-gesture zoom, I'm through with it. 

Occasionally I want to see things at a different size, and devices that will zoom in real time have been available for quite a few years now.  Someone who thinks it's necessary to take that away from me is not someone who has any information I need or want.  I have not forgotten whose computer or device it is, and I'm sick and tired of someone else feeling as though THEY need to take control of what I do.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

4 hours ago, rn10950 said:

Remind me how they would get this information without user tracking again?

Why would you think anyone besides us chickens would think that user tracking is bad?

Microsoft absolutely thinks that more is better on that front.

-Noel

13 hours ago, NoelC said:

"Appropriately" is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes true. For me, I expect my mobile device to show websites in mobile view. For the setting you speak of, the ability to "view as desktop" do you know exactly how that works? I imagine it is just changing the user agent.

OK, I have one positive thing to say about Windows 10. :w00t:

The other day I was troubleshooting the PC of a neighbor who'd made the transition to Win10, and while trying to follow some complicated directions I inadvertently scrolled the mouse over an inactive window. Surprisingly, I was actually scrolling up and down the Web page in the inactive window.

That could turn out to be a handy feature.

--JorgeA

2 hours ago, JorgeA said:

OK, I have one positive thing to say about Windows 10. :w00t:

The other day I was troubleshooting the PC of a neighbor who'd made the transition to Win10, and while trying to follow some complicated directions I inadvertently scrolled the mouse over an inactive window. Surprisingly, I was actually scrolling up and down the Web page in the inactive window.

That could turn out to be a handy feature.

--JorgeA

You can already do that in Windows 8 (and maybe 7), just navigate to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop and change the DWORD MouseWheelRouting value to 2. That's all ;)

Edited by MTDirector

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, Tripredacus said:

Yes true. For me, I expect my mobile device to show websites in mobile view. For the setting you speak of, the ability to "view as desktop" do you know exactly how that works? I imagine it is just changing the user agent.

No, I don't know the specifics.  I imagine as you do - hence my mentioning it here in light of the discussion on tracking.

-Noel

18 hours ago, MTDirector said:

You can already do that in Windows 8 (and maybe 7), just navigate to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop and change the DWORD MouseWheelRouting value to 2. That's all ;)

Huh, so the feature has existed for some years (I didn't see it on my Win7 system), but now they made it the default.

Still, it's nice.

--JorgeA

I imagine the Microsoft programmers (can't really call them engineers) looking for hidden options the system already has and evaluating whether they could enable them and call it all "new and improved!"

The whole Windows 10 development smacks of underfunded, undertalented work that attempts to get a little something for nothing and do a whole lot of marketing.  One wonders what could have been accomplished if they'd only routed the marketing money into doing real engineering.  How many good engineers could they employ for a year just by not running one TV commercial?  By not paying people who lie and cheat for a living?

-Noel

On Thursday, May 05, 2016 at 4:28 PM, rn10950 said:

Remind me how they would get this information without user tracking again?

[...]

Again, remind me how they would get this information without user tracking?

A post on Woody's website leads to this TechNet paper. The .DOCX provides some details on what Microsoft is collecting. For example, in the "basic" telemetry setting MSFT collects "Basic device information, including:  quality-related data, app compatibility, app usage data, and data from the Security level." In the next busybody level, "Enhanced," they collect "Additional insights, including:  how the OS, System Center, and apps are used, how they perform, advanced reliability data, and data from both the Basic and Security levels."

And the "app usage data" involves gathering the following information: "how an app is used, including how long an app is used for, when the app has focus, and when the app is started."

More generally, the paper says that

Telemetry provides a view of which features and services customers use most. For example, the telemetry data provides us with a heat map of the most commonly deployed Windows Server roles, most used Windows features, and which ones are used the least. This helps us make informed decisions about where we should invest our engineering resources to build a leaner operating system.

Finally, the author delivers one kick in the stomach to their hundreds of millions of individual and small-business users:

We put enterprise customers in control—they can customize their own privacy settings.

The rest of us, we're expected to just bend over and take it. Our privacy isn't as important.

Others who are more familiar with the ins and outs of Windows may be able to glean further useful insights from the TechNet paper, with respect either to Microsoft's policies or to what users might do to "enhance" their own privacy relative to MSFT. See anything else in there?

--JorgeA

One less reason to use Outlook.com...

Using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Outlook.com? Time to update your email application!

...unless you actually like being force-marched.

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outlook.com and began rolling out an exciting new email and calendar experience to users worldwide.

New, certainly. Exciting? That's for the user to decide, not you, señor Soltero. Such evaluative adjectives are the language of marketing; as NoelC points out, the marketers have taken over in Redmond.

It used to be that Microsoft products basically sold themselves, on the strength of their usefulness and quality. Now, company vice presidents such as Mr. Soltero need to pitch Microsoft's current offerings.

And the rest of us need to be corralled into using them by making it impossible to use the earlier products.

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Finally, the author delivers one kick in the stomach to their hundreds of millions of individual and small-business users:

>"We put enterprise customers in control—they can customize their own privacy settings."

The rest of us, we're expected to just bend over and take it. Our privacy isn't as important.

Right on point.

What I just don't understand is what could possibly be SO attractive about a "forced user experience" that Microsoft would just take away the ability for small business users (or serious enthusiasts) to actually PAY for an operating system version.

-Noel

49 minutes ago, NoelC said:

What I just don't understand is what could possibly be SO attractive about a "forced user experience" that Microsoft would just take away the ability for small business users (or serious enthusiasts) to actually PAY for an operating system version.

Beats me. I don't get it, either.

What I do understand is that, for whatever reason, there are people out there who are what we might call "aggressively conformist." We've seen them over in the Windows Insiders forum. Not only do they seem to actually prefer being told what their OS will do in terms of telemetry and forced updates (the "conformist" part), but they get snarky and sarcastic with anyone who dislikes it (the "aggressive" part).

As to why they would be like that, that's something for psychologists to explore.

--JorgeA