Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

photo-287775.png?_r=1440570352

JorgeA, most regrettably I must inform you that your new avatar is of extremely bad taste and unbearable to watch.

For it is too skeuomorphic and démodé, and totally lacks in modernness and sophisticated design.

Please allow me to suggest a more fashionable alternative:

uJJ4T1gR.png

[/sARCASM OFF] ;)

P.S. Will edit the avatar within 24 hours... ;)

The message is righteous.  If you change it, make it one of the other representations of "golden poo". 

The steam is a good touch.

-Noel

photo-287775.png?_r=1440570352

JorgeA, most regrettably I must inform you that your new avatar is of extremely bad taste and unbearable to watch.

For it is too skeuomorphic and démodé, and totally lacks in modernness and sophisticated design.

Please allow me to suggest a more fashionable alternative:

uJJ4T1gR.png

[/sARCASM OFF] ;)

I'm sorry that my conduct has disappointed.   :angel    ;)

--JorgeA

P.S. Will edit the avatar within 24 hours... ;)

The message is righteous.  If you change it, make it one of the other representations of "golden poo". 

The steam is a good touch.

-Noel

I'll leave it in place only if it's OK with the mods. Don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my standing here!

Oddly, the one that you see there is the only one that I could get to display on my screen. I don't have that emoji font installed on my Win7 system, and trying the other choices off the site you posted yielded error messages. This is the only one that I was able to do a screenshot from. :unsure:

--JorgeA

Another logic-free defense of Win10:

So How Successful is 75 Million Windows 10 PCs?

Some will argue that this negates the success of Windows 10, that one can’t compare a free upgrade to a paid license. But that view is nonsense, and for a number of reasons.

First, both Windows 7 and Windows 8 had special promotions at launch. Microsoft offered a 3-for-1 deal for Windows 7 Home Premium in the Family Pack, which later came back for a second go-round. And Windows 8 didn’t cost the normal price for many at launch, either: You could upgrade for $40. And Windows 8.1? Absolutely free. Not just to users, but to PC makers too.

Also, that 75 million figure is actual users, with actual PCs running Windows 10. Not licenses.

But forget all that. The real reason the Windows 10 figure is so astonishing is because of the upgrades. Before this release, in-place upgrades were one of the most unreliable and scary things a user could attempt, and it was so bad very few Windows users ever did try it. With Windows 10, the vast majority of the initial 75 million users did in fact upgrade their PCs. And they did so successfully. That’s the 75 million.

Folks, that is a triumph, no matter what you think of the math. And Windows 10? We’re on course for this thing being the single most successful Windows launch of all time. There is no way to see it otherwise.

Sure :yes: , exploit the Windows Update settings that you've recommended to inexpert users to get hundreds of millions of them to automatically download your new OS. Combine that with a dollar-free "up"grade and a (mostly) working installation process, and why wouldn't you get tens of millions of new users within four weeks?

Look Paul, I can set up a booth on Seventh Avenue in New York City and use a bullhorn to announce that I'm giving away free cheese. I can probably give away as much as I can get my hands on, the line will snake around for blocks. And if I get a bunch of bike messengers to deliver the cheese anywhere in the city, I'm sure I can distribute more cheese in NYC than they can make in Wisconsin. Does that mean that cheese is suddenly more desired by the public than it was yesterday? Does that make the cheese giveaway program a "success"? Hardly. All it means is that many people are lured by the word "free," and the easier you make it to get the freebie, the more you'll get to give away. BFD.

Windows 7 was and remains a measurable success because customers were and are willing to pay for it. Unlike Windows 8, they didn't refrain from buying PCs (in the process kneecapping the PC market) just to avoid having to deal with the B.S. Rather, they went out and eagerly snapped it up. Comparing the demonstrated market value of Windows 7 to the push-tactics of "free" Windows 10 is absurd.

--JorgeA

Look Paul, I can set up a booth on Seventh Avenue in New York City and use a bullhorn to announce that I'm giving away free cheese. 

Maybe you should first work a bit on your logo :whistle:as it isn't - as is - particularly appealing to most cheese aficionados, particularly the "steam"  ;).

(not that the good MS guys might also need to have someone else - like NOT a 5 year kid - to redesign their logo BTW).

But, hey:

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2012/02/17/redesigning-the-windows-logo/

Our final goal was for the new logo to be humble, yet confident. Welcoming you in with a slight tilt in perspective and when you change your color, the logo changes to reflect you. It is a “Personal” Computer after all.

:lol:

jaclaz

I need an advice, guys.

We have an old Windows server in our office (Server 2003). Sooner or later it should be replaced. It needs to be a Windows server because some crucial applications need it. I thought at first that we should wait until the new Windows Server will be available, but given that it is based on Windows 10.. ugh.

I wasn't fond of Server 2012, but I would rather have metro than spyware.

What are the odds that MS will include the same amount of spyware into their server version of W10? Get Server 2012 now or wait for the W10 based server and hope it doesn't include the same amount of spyware the client version does?

Actually the server core has not that crap:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846323(v=vs.85).aspx

unless you install it:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2012/09/20/windows-server-2012-shell-game.aspx

http://blog.ittoby.com/2013/01/add-gui-to-server-core-2012-and.html

and even the "minimal server interface" is not that bad:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/archive/2012/05/09/configuring-the-minimal-server-interface.aspx

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And Windows 8.1? Absolutely free. Not just to users, but to PC makers too.

Wow no, not free to PC makers. While MS did make it so you could take you Windows 8 PC and upgrade to 8.1 from Windows Update, they made the actual Windows 8.1 OS a totally separate SKU. They did not release a method to update your Windows 8 images to 8.1. Different media kits, different product keys, different recovery media. It was not like Windows 7 to SP1, more like Windows XP to SP2.

I need an advice, guys.

We have an old Windows server in our office (Server 2003). Sooner or later it should be replaced. It needs to be a Windows server because some crucial applications need it. I thought at first that we should wait until the new Windows Server will be available, but given that it is based on Windows 10.. ugh.

What are the odds that MS will include the same amount of spyware into their server version of W10? Get Server 2012 now or wait for the W10 based server and hope it doesn't include the same amount of spyware the client version does?

It may not applicable, given your requirement that it be a server OS, but here's my anecdote:

I put a Win 7 Ultimate install on my brand new Dell PowerEdge T20 small business server a few months ago.  It serves two Subversion repositories.

I couldn't be happier.  It runs unattended sweetly for weeks at a time between Windows Updates that require reboots!  Easily saturates gigabit Ethernet with file data.

-Noel

I need an advice, guys.

It may not applicable, given your requirement that it be a server OS, but here's my anecdote:

I put a Win 7 Ultimate install on my brand new Dell PowerEdge T20 small business server a few months ago.  It serves two Subversion repositories.

I couldn't be happier.  It runs unattended sweetly for weeks at a time between Windows Updates that require reboots!  Easily saturates gigabit Ethernet with file data.

-Noel

Server 2008 R2 would also be a good choice, as it is pretty much Windows 7 Server.