Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Thirty-day Win10 experiment lasts only a week

...The first crash occurred on day two, in the middle of work. Two days later, it happened again. On day six, Win10 crashed twice! Each crash was preceded by erratic Windows behavior and no response from the keyboard and mouse. Two more crashes the next day effectively ended the 30-day experiment.

Fellow contributor Susan Bradley kindly offered to take a look at my system’s dump files. (She’s far more skilled at interpreting them than I am.) Her guess: the manufacturer’s drivers were at fault. And she was apparently right — the final crash was on a Friday; the following Monday, Microsoft pushed out updates that included new ASUS drivers. Those updates seem to have fixed the crashes, but there were still other issues to solve.

Wasn't it mainly driver issues that sank the introduction of Vista in 2006-7 and left it with an unshakeably bad reputation?

I soon discovered that my browser problems weren’t exclusive to the laplet. The same issues with Chrome, Firefox, and Edge also showed up on the desktop PC I’d upgraded to Win10.

New operating systems always come with some kinks and compatibility issues. I doubt that Win10 has more than previous Windows updates. But this time around, Microsoft is giving a new OS away for free — and a whole lot of people are jumping on it.

This could potentially mean a heck of a lot of angry, dissatisfied users out there, crusading against Windows 10. Microsoft's campaign to get the new OS on as many computers as possible may end up backfiring on them, big time.

My experience was likely worse than most. But you should nevertheless take it as a warning — be prepared for unexpected consequences. If you’re ready — with either experience or time — to tackle the potential problems following a migration to Windows 10, put the upgrade off for a few months — even if you’re sick of Win8. That will give time for the release of new drivers and software fixes.

The bottom line:

Win7 users have even fewer reasons to upgrade anytime soon. If you don’t have a touchscreen, Win10’s advantages to you are minimal.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Win7 users have even fewer reasons to upgrade anytime soon. If you don’t have a touchscreen, Win10’s advantages to you are minimal.

Minimal?

Why are people (not you Jorge) so kind with words?

Looking as seriously as humanly possible at ROI, the thing is actually a net loss.

• No one wants or needs Metro/Modern Apps - and this condition has persisted for YEARS now, so it's not just a matter of time.

• Though it's basically compatible, the desktop is uglier and offers NO new usability features over Windows 7 (sorry, but their best effort with Task Manager left me flat).  Same stuff as Windows 8, which (clearly) the Windows 7 users in question didn't want.

• No one in their right mind wants MORE of their personal / sensitive business info sent to servers all over the world, yet that's what Win 10 does.  No one wants to have to figure out what it's sending where in an ongoing fashion and try to outguess it.

• The continuous update model...  Who really wants their OS to CHANGE every few months?  Who wants their settings reset by Microsoft every few months?  Sorry, but Microsoft has lost the plot entirely... It's not about running the OS, it's about USING the OS.  The OS needs to be STABLE and USEFUL.

-Noel

Look Paul, I can set up a booth on Seventh Avenue in New York City and use a bullhorn to announce that I'm giving away free cheese. 

Maybe you should first work a bit on your logo :whistle:as it isn't - as is - particularly appealing to most cheese aficionados, particularly the "steam"  ;).

:D

--JorgeA

P.S. By the way, when I first saw that headline in Winbeta.org, I actually thought that maybe Microsoft was offering an apology for Windows 10, and explaining how that POS came to be.

Minimal?

Looking as seriously as humanly possible at ROI, the thing is actually a net loss.

• No one wants or needs Metro/Modern Apps - and this condition has persisted for YEARS now, so it's not just a matter of time.

• Though it's basically compatible, the desktop is uglier and offers NO new usability features over Windows 7 (sorry, but their best effort with Task Manager left me flat).  Same stuff as Windows 8, which (clearly) the Windows 7 users in question didn't want.

• No one in their right mind wants MORE of their personal / sensitive business info sent to servers all over the world, yet that's what Win 10 does.  No one wants to have to figure out what it's sending where in an ongoing fashion and try to outguess it.

• The continuous update model...  Who really wants their OS to CHANGE every few months?  Who wants their settings reset by Microsoft every few months?  Sorry, but Microsoft has lost the plot entirely... It's not about running the OS, it's about USING the OS.  The OS needs to be STABLE and USEFUL.

-Noel

Great roundup of the fundamental problems.

The bit about being kind with words regarding Win10, I think has to do with the writer being, uh, diplomatic. :angel

--JorgeA

Wasn't it mainly driver issues that sank the introduction of Vista in 2006-7 and left it with an unshakeably bad reputation?

From what I remember, Vista x86 was perfectly fine with 4GB RAM, or x64 with whatever. The main problem was that PCs and Notebooks at launch were being sold with 1-2GB RAM and were really slow. It wasn't until SP1 came out that Vista worked well enough with 2GB RAM.

Minimal?

• Though it's basically compatible, the desktop is uglier and offers NO new usability features over Windows 7 (sorry, but their best effort with Task Manager left me flat). Same stuff as Windows 8, which (clearly) the Windows 7 users in question didn't want.
  • No one in their right mind wants MORE of their personal / sensitive business info sent to servers all over the world, yet that's what Win 10 does. No one wants to have to figure out what it's sending where in an ongoing fashion and try to outguess it.
  • The continuous update model... Who really wants their OS to CHANGE every few months? Who wants their settings reset by Microsoft every few months? Sorry, but Microsoft has lost the plot entirely... It's not about running the OS, it's about USING the OS. The OS needs to be STABLE and USEFUL.

-Noel

I'm quite positive there are many improved task manager replacements for 7

Of course.  But most "feature" lists prominently state that Windows 8 and newer have vastly improved the Task Manager.

-Noel

It doesn't matter how much they "improved" the task manager if half the time it doesn't even OPEN. On one of my upgrade test VMs, the Task Manager would lock up every time it was opened, while the Win7 one worked fine. (Which I would promptly use to kill the locked up TM)

I'm seeing some windows open, close, then open again in Win 10.  Example:  Event Viewer.

There are clearly a bunch of folks programming Windows that possess only a basic understanding of how it works.

-Noel

There are clearly a bunch of folks programming Windows that possess only a basic understanding of how it works.

Now, you are being excessively diplomatic. :whistle:

SCOOP! :w00t: I have an actual picture of a programmers'meeting ;):

headless-chickens.jpg

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Minimal?

There's currently a troll paranoia on the net. Be a tad negative, and you're a troll. Point out flaws and you're "bashing". I don't know exactly how this trend started, but it is surely convenient for MS and the others.

Today I saw that KB3081448 ("This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10") became available.  It is a big one, another cumulative update.  Lots of files are updated.

To confirm something for which I performed a controlled test, permissions I set up to try to thwart an undoing of configuration changes I had made were reversed, and configuration changes were undone!

Specifically, I had removed Desktop from appearing under This PC by removing these registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}

Then I set permissions on the NameSpace key that should have prevented any further access.  Now I look and SYSTEM again has Full Control, and the subkey was readded by the Windows Update process.

Our systems are no longer our own!

-Noel

There is weirdness and frustration floating around the question of the Windows 10 "up"grading process:

First item:

I get the list of weekly patches, but when I tell Windows to download and install them, after they are downloaded it starts downloading Windows 10. When I click on Cancel Download (for Windows 10), I can no longer see any of the patches and nothing gets installed.

And:

Windows 10 update is not on the list so I can't right click to hide it. It says Total selected: 1 optional update selected (2,712.6) Mb but it is not on the list of optional updates.

Second item (found as a link in the first item):

When I started Windows Update for the first time it showed 122 important and 6 or 7 optional updates. I checked that there was nothing called anything like "Upgrade to Windows 10" or similar; there was nothing of that kind. I told the system to install the updates.

Imagine my shock when as the very next thing Windows Update showed me exactly this window:

FORCED%2BWin10%2BDownload.png

Echoing something that's being said in this thread, the blogger concludes that

Some people at Microsoft are either overworked, totally stressed out, simply not at all caring about quality and quality control or they are outright idots. 

Or any combination thereof, you choose.

--JorgeA

Although your definition of few is a little warped, funny you should mention that Noel.

For me, funnier are the reviews, or the ratio of satisfied customers in them...

S1YdM6w.png

That screenshot of the reviews is quite an indictment.

So, what was wrong with the DVD feature in Windows Media Player (let alone Windows Media Center)? Somebody had to actually spend time removing those lines of code from WMP. To what end, exactly? To save a few pennies per Windows license on codec rights? Was that worth the cost of annoying your customers?

--JorgeA