Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

There are so many threads now on how to fix or improve Windows 10 (what does that tell you  ;) ), that I'm not sure where to post the following:

Free up space in Windows 10 by removing unwanted core apps

More important IMO than freeing up physical space on the user's disk, is freeing up the user's mental space: no longer will he/she have to deal with these cr*pps as the user visually scans the Start Menu, the Tiles, or the Taskbar.

I'm pretty sure this ground (or something very much like it) has been covered before, but it's been a while since it was and it may be a good idea to remind people of it now, especially as there will be new Forum visitors and members looking for precisely this sort of information.

Maybe somebody can collect all these tweaks, fixes, and hacks into one integrated volume for readers' convenience. Because he has rich experience cutomizing his Windows environment, I would nominate @NoelC  ;)  but in reality it could be anybody who has not only the time and the inclination, but also the expertise to assess each candidate fix for inclusion.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Thanks for your vote of confidence.  Rest assured I'll be learning all I can to tweak Win 10 into a "To Work" system.

The title you quoted ("...unwanted core apps")...  Note that many cannot be removed via the commands shown. 

RemovalFailed.png

I assume Microsoft is trying to protect against excessive tweaking to the point where it really kills windows (and it's REALLY disappointing to think there are some Modern packages that are essential to its operation).

I was a bit surprised that Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.7.22.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe came right out, no problem.  I call that a WIN!  :)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Did you try the suggestion from Richard Saunders in the comments?

Two powershell commands that get rid of everything *EXCEPT* for app frameworks, OS middleware (e.g. calculator, sound recorder, etc,) and other embedded functions. All of the bing apps and other junk are gone. If you aren't sure what apps you can and can't remove, just use these, and if you find you're missing something, you can always reinstall it from the Windows store.No OS functions will be broken by doing this.First one (this should paste into powershell as one line:Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -ne "Microsoft.Appconnector"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Windows*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -onlineSecond one (again, one line):Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.AccountsControl"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.BioEnrollment"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.LockApp"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Windows*"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Windows*"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.NET*"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.Appconnector"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.VCLibs*"} | Remove-AppxPackage

Cheers and Regards

No, I reviewed the list entry by entry and made the choice whether to remove it.  The lines you quoted culminate in the same command I was using (Remove-AppxPackage).

The several I'd want gone that wouldn't go via Remove-AppxPackage...

Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10240.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_10.0.10240.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Edit:  Misread part of the post.  Sorry.  I neglected to try:  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

The first command fails as listed.  It needs a little more in it to avoid trying to remove Microsoft.Dism*:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -ne "Microsoft.Appconnector"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Windows*"}  | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Dism*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Battle of the hype:

Report: Windows 10 is now installed on 67 million PCs as of this morning

Windows 10 installs reach 18 million over launch weekend; not 67 million

Both reports claim confirmation; both cannot be right.

...And the Microsoft Fanboy Prize of the Month goes to the following commenter under the second headline:

If MS really cared about bringing everyone into the future, they should've immediately deprecated Windows 7 and began to charge a legacy fee for continued feature updates. These people are going to hate Microsoft no matter what, so Microsoft needs to stop being so gentle with them. Unpopular opinion, I bet!

Not even Microsoft would be so brazen as to go back on their clear commitment to support Windows 7 for ten years. Wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Actually, I can't think of a faster way to increase Linux and Mac OS X market share numbers...

--JorgeA

Not even Microsoft would be so brazen as to go back on their clear commitment to support Windows 7 for ten years. Wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Actually, I can't think of a faster way to increase Linux and Mac OS X market share numbers...

--JorgeA

Even if they were to drop Windows 7 support, I don't see Windows 7's market share dropping that much more then it will now with support in tact and the upgrade (read: downgrade) available. Most, if not all, third-party developers will continue to support Windows 7, as they currently do with XP. The only application developers that would most likely not support Windows 7 in this scenario would be Microsoft.

ah the hype arrogance

if I install that stupid thing into multiple VM's, and install guest additions, the s*** has access to network

and voila spyware report that IT has been installed

why don't they report how many have been formated/removed ?  :P

aah yes there is no telemetry for that !

Edited by vinifera

aah yes there is no telemetry for that !

Not really, most probably there is also data for when you leave the machine unattended for a few minutes (to get a cup of coffe or smoke a cig), one of the points of telemetry (as implemented by MS, and set aside the privacy concerns)  is that you have no access to it's data, and the good MS guys (particularly the PR and marketing guys) can say anything about it, just like statistics (when results are published without providing the RAW data).

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/oh-people_can_come_up_with_statistics_to_prove/338856.html

I will go further :w00t::ph34r: in the past a number of boasted numbers about SALES of MS (OS or hardware) were later debunked by analyzing quarterly or yearly financial reports, in this case, when there is no sale as the upgrade downgrade is free, they can really tell you *anything* (and the contrary of it).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, whenever someone (anyone) gives you numbers or statistics, a good idea would be to check and double check them, sometimes they are simply wrong or misrepresented or misinterpreted.

Right now on Wikipedia the netmarketshare data for Windows 10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

is at 2.47% :w00t: while the original data on Netmarketshare:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomb=&qpcustomd=0&qpsp=198&qpnp=1&qptimeframe=M

is at 0.39% :ph34r:

As a matter of fact if you sum the whole column on Netmarketshare it's result is 100.01, while the whole column on the Wikipedia page is 102.00 :whistle:

Of course in this case it is most probably a slip of the finger/typo, and has no practical consequences, but the same thing (or a similar one) can have really dramatic consequences, last world wide example being the (in)famous Reinhart-Rogoff Excel mishap:

http://theconversation.com/the-reinhart-rogoff-error-or-how-not-to-excel-at-economics-13646

a number of countries adopted (completely wrong) economical politics based on an already debatable enough theory based on false/wrong data.

jaclaz

Bad guys are starting to take advantage of Microsoft's aggressive pushing of Windows 10 onto PCs running previous Windows versions:

"Fake Windows 10 update leading to ransomware attack: Alert Priority High

Ransomware disguised as an installer of the new Microsoft Windows 10 operating system is encrypting Australian user and business computers.

The ransomware resides in an email that claims to be from Microsoft which offers a free upgrade to Windows 10. The email contains a zip file attachment, which contains a program labelled as the Windows 10 installer.

However, if you run this program, it will encrypt any important files, including Word documents and photos on your computer.

If you receive an email offering a free upgrade to Windows 10, we advise that you delete the email and do not open it or any attachments.

Windows users interested in upgrading their computer can register via Microsoft’s official website. Windows 10 updates will then be facilitated by a program on your computer, not via an email offer."

--JorgeA

Now in hindsight: Was Windows 8 an eloberate plan to push OrwellOS, aka W10?

The start screen on W8 was so bad, that anything resembling the old start menu is praised as best thing ever compared to it - that's how W10 gets accepted, despite the spyware in it. Imagine if W10 had the spyware AND the start screen. There would have been a revolt.

It's hard to believe that Microsoft truly thought an abonimation like W8's GUI would work.

The only argument against this theory is the high amount of executives getting the can post-W8 (Sinofsky, Ballmer, Reller, Larson-Green)