Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I've always preferred Seamonkey myself, that along with AdBlock + NoScript.

I'm starting to lean more towards SeaMonkey now, since Firefox changes their UI every year and with additions like Pocket and Hello. Once uBlock supports it, I will fully convert.

User rejection of forced automatic updates is spreading beyond Windows 10:

Why I’m dumping Google Chrome

You've got to read the whole post for the infuriating details of Google's hostility to user choice. ...

I could be wrong, but I think that jaclaz's post here, about SRWare Iron as an alternative to Chrome, was actually meant to be posted in this thread in response to your post above. At least here it makes sense. :)

Cheers and Regards

1. Dear God, Windows XP is still far more better then these abominations.

2. Do I need to upgrade from Vista to play new videogames?

3.Dear God My Windows XP can run most of my Windows 9X programs, and many of my NT5.0 needs.

4. What new spyware is installed now? More background scanning of my USB devices. More labeling my MP3 files. More displaying the name of the video I am watching and sending that information to Microsoft Servers. More background Google Analytical.

5. I can buy an OSX Intel mid late model and install 256Gigs of memory for my high end programs and then install Vista or Linux, or whichever one comes first. Including Snow Leapard.

6. Lets be honest. Microsoft drop support for Windows 98 ( like those eastern language files I need to run eastern programs properly ). They drop support for windows XP. Like that free upgrade to XPS3 that was once upon an time.

7. Why are you going to buy this again?

A. Because your an smelly elderly man who wants to live in the future

B. Because your some computer geekwad who wants to marvel at the amazement of Microsoft

C. Because you just want the latest and greatest software upgrades and updates.

D. Because you have no ideas about the free Linux OS or compiling files for Linux or compiling anything for that matter.

E. Because you just want something new.

F. Because the school is forcing you to get one.

8. Microsoft AKA the government is playing the anti-privacy game. They want to get rid of all the wired users and have everybody on

wireless device which by law limits your rights ( like your drivers license ). They want to get you into trouble. They want THE HERD TO SEPERATE AND DIVIDE. That is why we have youtbube users and Facebook users. They want to label you and have you take an profile picture and make an file about you. So that later they could use it against you.

9. My advice is. Do not purchase any new OS unless your JOB needs it from you.

10. Steam box............Steam box is powerful enough to emulate Gamecube.

11. Every time they release a new OS I feel stupid. I am still amazed by the 98 startup screen which could be replaced. I mean why bother anymore? I think XP was an downfall for what 98 could have been with Unix instead of DOS.

Edited by ROTS

User rejection of forced automatic updates is spreading beyond Windows 10:

Why I’m dumping Google Chrome

You've got to read the whole post for the infuriating details of Google's hostility to user choice. ...

I could be wrong, but I think that jaclaz's post here, about SRWare Iron as an alternative to Chrome, was actually meant to be posted in this thread in response to your post above. At least here it makes sense. :)

Cheers and Regards

Nice catch, bphlpt! :thumbup  I'll bet that's exactly what @jaclaz had intended.

Maybe @dencorso or @Tripredacus can move that post over here, and then remove our discussion of it.

--JorgeA

4. What new spyware is installed now? More background scanning of my USB devices. More labeling my MP3 files. More displaying the name of the video I am watching and sending that information to Microsoft Servers. More background Google Analytical.

I'm definitely with you on that one. Every time I need to select the settings on Windows Media Player (and it seems to be more and more often lately), I choose Custom settings and turn off all options that involve communicating with anything beyond my PC. None of their d*mn business what I play on my computer.

--JorgeA

@bphlpt

Right on the spot. :thumbup

I must have been confusing topics when replying, my bad. :blushing:

The good news being that this is perfectly possible on XP (and Opera with a numebr of tabs open) while it may be a tadbit more complex in a Metro NCI system ;).

jaclaz

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Faulty-update-time-And-again-W10

Yeah, I know I am wasting my darn time there. But the Office problem I described there really happened (an update from WU crippled Outlook 2010 and so I had to hide it) So I thought it would be a great opportunity to see what the apologizers will come up this time with to still rationalize W10's behavior in such case (where this is not possible anymore)

Well.

My point is whether 10 will be managed differently such that the problematic updates won't cause the same kind of issues that make people turn them off. In other words, they may use more rigorous testing and the insider preview program to catch problems before they go out.

You see, MS will just stop producing buggy updates! No need to worry!

Edited by Formfiller

There is a sense of dread out there regarding the invasion takeover launch of Windows 10, and enterprising companies are stepping in to provide an easy-to-use safety net:

Worried about upgrading to Windows 10? EaseUS System GoBack Free provides you with an escape route

Just for the record/FYI I had a quick peek at that package (and didn't like what I saw :():

http://reboot.pro/topic/20601-win10-downgrade/

jaclaz

Oh, great, I just bought an Office 2010 license since I no longer care to use Office 2013 or its pale successors.

I wasn't going to move up to Windows 10 anyway, at least not right away.  Do you know whether the same update that broke your Office 2010 was issued on Win 8.1.

-Noel

Well, the KB3061014

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3061014 

was on revision 3.0 on the 5th of April (or is that the 4th of May?):

Article ID: 3061014 - Last Review: 05/04/2015 18:46:00 - Revision: 3.0

after (before?)  that on April 15 the good MS guys released UPDATE KB2965295

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2965295

which is obviously not mentioned and - guess what :unsure: - botches again the Outlook:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/33f220d7-2349-448f-bd2b-a45bf0df0072/updates-break-imap-every-month?forum=outlook

I can see how they are actively researching this problem. :yes:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Do you know whether the same update that broke your Office 2010 was issued on Win 8.1.

-Noel

I think yes.

But I would just try it, maybe the problem won't happen on your configuration. At worse you would just need to hide the updates on WU (which is possible on Windows 8.1).

Edited by Formfiller