Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Anyway, and with all due respect to the good guys that assign the awards :) the whole thing more than a competition seems a lot like a showcase for industrial products (or prototypes) that are "new" and possibly "weirdly" designed or exploring the borders of - well - *something*, example  :w00t:

http://www.idsa.org/awards/idea/student-designs/vesper

Personal Accessories

Vesper is a wearable, vibrator necklace that is both a piece of jewelry and a powerful, slim, multi-speed vibrator. It is made from highly-polished, 316 stainless steel and chain. The product is water resistant for easy cleaning and charges via USB. With a removable chain, the user can wear the pendant as jewelry in public, just use it as a vibrator in private, or mix and match as she pleases. Vesper is available in three, sleek metal finishes: silver, rose gold and 24K gold.

jaclaz

Hmm... so the user of this nifty device "can wear [it] as jewelry in public," or "use it... in private," or "mix and match as she pleases." :o

I can just picture this "mix and match" usage taking place at restaurants, theater plays, on the bus, etc. :lol:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hell is freezing over! A Microsoft uber-fanboi has actually expressed disapproval of something Microsoft did:

In my opinion Microsoft would gain a lot of goodwill by simply summarizing what has been addressed in an update so users do not have to go looking for it.

You don't say.

What you have yet to understand is that disrespect for the user and keeping him in the dark is at the heart of Microsoft's model for Windows 10. :angry:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

...By hook or by crook we will.  :crazy:

-Noel

Edit:  Before watching the video clip I had remembered "shall" instead of "will".

Edited by NoelC

This is not Bing: The Sequel. It's something much bigger and smarter. At this point, Microsoft's operating system ships with a lot of services that users are already familiar with and dependent upon (e.g., OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel). Windows 10 makes it clear that anything you do in these apps can (and likely will) be scanned, parsed, and sold to advertisers. Your emails, messages and documents -- nothing is off limits.

Here's the full article (or sales piece).

Originally, when I used the insider preview, I had tons of problems with the OS. So I decided to wait it out for the RTM. All i can say is that I'm impressed. Unlike Windows 8.1, Windows 10 hasn't given me a problem on my system. It also feels smoother overall to Windows 7, and faster too. Windows 8.1 caused quite a few problems for me. namely one annoying problem where devices would disconnect for no reason. The UI of Windows 8.1 was also not that great.

However, Windows 10 comes with a very refreshing UI, that is much more desktop-friendly, and has neat features like multi-desktop.

For an RTM release, Windows 10 is also rather stable, which is a great thing. Whether it was on my main machine, in a VM, or on an ASUS laptop I have, Windows 10 has not caused any issues and runs excellent.

However, there are a few things that I'd like to change. By default, it would be better off for the Windows Update P2P to be disabled. I have a slow 1Mbps connection, and that can potentially cause problems. Also, the "Modern" applications running in the background would have been better if kept off.

Regardless of this, the OS hasn't caused me a single problem yet.

Overall, I really like this OS, and I believe it is a step in the right direction.

Better than Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 caused quite a few problems for me. namely one annoying problem where devices would disconnect for no reason. The UI of Windows 8.1 was also not that great.

Very possible :yes:

Faster/smoother than 7? :unsure:

It also feels smoother overall to Windows 7, and faster too.

Can you try performing this test?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174160-guide-disable-data-collection-in-windows-10/page-2#entry1104539

jaclaz

Is it just me, or do you feel a bout of nausea when mainstream media "reports" with paid bias - not to mention disregard of observed reality?  It's like they're weaving threads of ridiculous untruths into the fabric of the news in the hopes that we'll all start to actively disregard our own experiences in order to fit into their version of reality.

refreshingly, the company seems to have found its stride with its recent releases. Windows 10 seems to be making up for lost ground with an operating system that is beautiful, easy to use, and dare I say ... enjoyable.

What about upgrading? Seamless

Holy mother of  tsg_smiley_devil.gif

Postulate a couple of ridiculous "givens" like the above, then work into an expose of how Windows is just going to be the world's most successful adware.  The givens MUST be true, then, eh?

This is unhealthy for the people of the world.

-Noel

I would like to see the results of that test as well.

I don't discount personal / anecdotal experience - it's very powerful - but I think there can be reasons beyond an actual improvement in the OS (which I have been unable to detect in Win 10) that a new system could seem more responsive - especially in light of objective testing that implies otherwise...

The old system might never have been set up properly.  It's a wonder how many systems aren't running the best (or even proper) drivers.  And I certainly respect that if a system is unstable with an older OS and a newer one gets the configuration more right and runs stably there's just no comparison.  Stable always beats flaky.  Remember the old song?  "...she's fast, I don't care
she blows up in mid-air!
..."

Also, when people report that a new system seems more responsive, there could be a factor of comparing a well worn, crudded-up Windows 7 installation against a fresh, new Windows 10 installation.  How many folks do a fresh Windows 7 installs to facilitate an objective comparison?  How many folks know how to manage all the things that run on their computers?

And of course not everyone does the same things.  There may well be a few things the new system does well, and if the person's experience involves doing those things a lot, then they will feel there has been an improvement.

-Noel