Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Not sure what a "UAP wrapper" is. Does his answer make sense?

When using Metro apps, are we merely getting a Web page with a severely limited feature set?

UAP seems to be User Account Protection, a term from Vista which is now just UAC.

You can make a Modern app (appx) using HTML5, but I do not think they are exclusively using just webpage technologies.

Thanks for the explanation, Trip. Now I can go back and read that guy's comment properly.

--JorgeA

About the 404 pages... I've been getting that a lot recently. Mostly on the SBLicensing pages where it will go to 404 in all browsers I try, yet they can be accessed by other computers. One link last week was doing this, but today it is working fine. :wacko:

This is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/salesmarketing/Pages/media-replacement.aspx

That's really strange. How would other computers be able to get to that page (I just tried it successfully on a Win7 system), but not a Win10 machine?

--JorgeA

That's really strange. How would other computers be able to get to that page (I just tried it successfully on a Win7 system), but not a Win10 machine?

--JorgeA

I don't think it has anything to do with Windows 7 vs Windows 10. For that specific link, last week my Win7 got the 404 in 3 different browsers, but a Win8.1 could see it fine with Chrome. And today it works on Win7 in Firefox. There is obviously an issue and I thought it was just my PC, but apparently there is something larger going on.

And, just for the record, C#/XAML or Silverlight developers (do the latter still exist? :unsure:) have no excuses now:

http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1960/2014/9/30/New-Extension-for-Visual-Studio-Released-to-Create-HTML5-Apps-Using-C/

http://www.cshtml5.com/#learn-more

And some considerations:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/689534/What-to-Choose-between-XAML-and-JavaScript-for-win

Of course if you are going to write (say) an AutoCAD or Photoshop alternative for tablets :w00t:, C#/XAML is likely to be faster but limited to the Windows ecosystem that seemingly very few people will use, but for the 90% of apps that at the most try to be an alternative to Candy Crush Saga or  Ruzzle would make much more sense due to almost transparent portability to the other tablet platforms to use HTML5 ...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

About the 404 pages... I've been getting that a lot recently. Mostly on the SBLicensing pages where it will go to 404 in all browsers I try, yet they can be accessed by other computers. One link last week was doing this, but today it is working fine. :wacko:

This is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/salesmarketing/Pages/media-replacement.aspx

I just tried the link on Win7 Ultimate x64 using a version of Chrome and got:

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

with  https://, but it worked fine with http://.  Same was true when I tried SlimBrowser.

Cheers and Regards

I also have been experiencing 404s on many MS pages lately, on both 7 and XP/2003, usually on stuff related to downloads and old versions of VS. Maybe Microsoft re-did their download manager recently?

By the way, here's an interesting test to make if you have both Win 7 and 8.x/10 systems to compare:

1.  Open an Explorer window and navigate to the root folder of drive C:.

2.  Select all files in the Files pane.

3.  Right-click and choose Properties.

4.  Time how long it takes to count up all the files, then divide the files counted by the number of seconds it took.

The above gives an indication of how much overhead you're seeing to navigate through the file system directory structure.

With Win 7 I would see between 30,000 and 50,000 files per second counted up, depending whether the information is already cached or not.  With Win 8.1 it's 8,000 to 12,000.  Try it yourself.

That sounds interesting, I will do that. My test laptop has both Win7 and Win10 on it, so the comparison will take place on the same hardware.

Ran some tests this afternoon, each time after rebooting to the OS to be tested next. Here are the results, given (as suggested above) as files/second:

Windows 7: 1715; 4188, 1333, 7821

Windows 10: 1182, 1209, 1527

Each of these times was taken some minutes after booting, although I suspect that some of the same-OS variation might be due to the boot process not yet being quite complete. The fastest results occurred after the longest waits post-boot. A formal test would involve taking the measurement after a standard amount of time -- say, 10 minutes after booting.

Out of curiosity, I also reran the tests once with each OS immediately after doing it a first time. Win10 repopulated the results in 15.78 seconds, but Win7 did it in 4.34 seconds.

Hardware: Lenovo IdeaPad Z580, Intel Core i5-3210M.

Others are welcome to try the test and see how their results compare.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

The system to system comparison is important, but it seems to me that the most interesting fact is that the newer system takes so much longer to read the information from RAM (i.e., the second time, after the data's been cached).  THAT defines how fast it can be on a given system, no matter how good you make the I/O devices.  Just what we needed at the time when SSDs are becoming the norm - a system that does I/O much less efficiently.  :}

Now, NTFS is supposed to have been improved in Win 8 - to be more robust and self-healing (not that I ever had any problem with it before)...  But the interesting thing is, per my tests, the slowdown happened at the transition from Win 8 to Win 8.1.  Nothing particularly important about the file system was noted then as best I recall.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

To be fair, the Win10 partition contains nearly 217,000 files, while the Win7 partition has about 128,000 files, so the speed difference is not as stark as might seem. (The difference in the number of files is attributable mainly to the presence of some 98,000 files in the Windows.old directory in my Win10 installation.)

Still, this translates to 28,059 files/second for Windows 7 in the "load from RAM" trial, vs. 13,745 files/second for Windows 10, so Win7 is more than twice as fast in this test.

--JorgeA

There finally seems to be some clarity with what Insiders are (not) getting for working as beta testers. One commenter here puts it succinctly:

Yeah, they are forcing all insiders to either;

1. Continue in the preview program "forever" (without receiving the free upgrade license you're stuck).

2. Reinstall Win7 or Win8.1 on july 29 or within a year, then upgrade to Win10 to receive the free license, and finally reinstall Win10 again.

That's what we get for testing... Bleh.

My time is worth something. I've already spent countless hours exploring Win10 and providing feedback in multiple venues in the attempt to help save Microsoft from itself. I'm not going to invest volunteer hours indefinitely into the future just to avoid paying money for Windows 10.

When the last Insiders build expires on or after July 29, I am done with Windows 10. To echo what jaclaz said a few days ago, at this point Microsoft would have to pay me to keep using this POS operating system (and those initials don't stand for "point of sale").

--JorgeA

To echo what jaclaz said a few days ago, at this point Microsoft would have to pay me to keep using this POS operating system (and those initials don't stand for "point of sale").

Let's clear this aspect :realmad: , you get payed ONLY AFTER I have been paid :yes: , provided that MS has any money left :unsure:.

jaclaz

Hahaha, Microsoft's madness with WIndows Update leads to desperate measures by OEMs...

http://winsupersite.com/windows/samsung-decides-some-systems-do-not-need-windows-update-turned

When I first read the headline, my first thought was that Samsung is trying to put a stop to the borked-update madness, but after reading the article it looks more complicated than that. I don't like what Samsung is doing, but OTOH they have a point about Updates messing with the hardware.

All of this, of course, argues for MORE granular control of Updates by the user -- not less, as Microsoft is pushing with Win10.

--JorgeA