Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

To echo what jaclaz said a few days ago, at this point Microsoft would have to pay me to keep using this POS operating system (and those initials don't stand for "point of sale").

Let's clear this aspect :realmad: , you get payed ONLY AFTER I have been paid :yes: , provided that MS has any money left :unsure:.

jaclaz

That's fine, I'll be happy to take my turn. ;)  If the kitty's empty by the time I get to the front of the line, well, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of folks. :thumbdown

--JorgeA

Let's clear this aspect :realmad: , you get payed ONLY AFTER I have been paid :yes: , provided that MS has any money left :unsure:

Hm, a thought occurred to me...  Microsoft has chosen to give away the OS, probably both because they know its essentially worthless and because people are smart enough to see that.

That's what, $30 less than the last one?  Win 8 was $29.95 as an upgrade initially, right?  I sense a trend.

Will you adopt Win 10.1 if they paid you $30 cash to take it?

$100?  More?

At the price my time is worth, I've put thousands of dollars into testing Win 10 for them.  If they actually listened to any of my feedback (and surprisingly I believe they actually have, though not nearly enough) it would be more than worth it in the long run.

Personally, the price they charge for a license is no object (or incentive) to me - one day I'll pay $200 for a fresh, new license once it actually improves the ongoing value I get from Windows over and above what I'm running now.  But that day is not this day, and I have doubts it'll be within a year.

All in all I'd rather they built a serious, high quality OS for engineering use that delivers excellent value then charge a healthy sum for it.  Making free software liberates them from having to take anything seriously.  I believe they'll be pushed down this path when enterprise thumbs its nose at the toy that is currently Win 10.

-Noel

Will you adopt Win 10.1 if they paid you $30 cash to take it?

$100?  More?

Heck :w00t:, more, much more than that!

I am an old, grumpy and cheap bastard, but not that cheap.

I still have (some remnants of) a dignity

At the price my time is worth, I've put thousands of dollars into testing Win 10 for them.  If they actually listened to any of my feedback (and surprisingly I believe they actually have, though not nearly enough) it would be more than worth it in the long run.

Sorry, but IMHO you are mis-perceiving the reality: they did not.  :no:

The fact that they implemented anything that you suggested is a mere coincidence, whenever something appeared to have gone through it was just because it overlapped with the contents of their (immutable) agenda.

jaclaz

Hahaha, Microsoft's madness with WIndows Update leads to desperate measures by OEMs...

http://winsupersite.com/windows/samsung-decides-some-systems-do-not-need-windows-update-turned

When I first read the headline, my first thought was that Samsung is trying to put a stop to the borked-update madness, but after reading the article it looks more complicated than that. I don't like what Samsung is doing, but OTOH they have a point about Updates messing with the hardware.

All of this, of course, argues for MORE granular control of Updates by the user -- not less, as Microsoft is pushing with Win10.

I had another, more devious thought about this hidden Samsung software. :sneaky:

Wonder if the program will work in Windows 10 on a non-Samsung computer? Remember that the point of the program is to prevent Windows Update from performing its magic; applying it on a Win10 system, where there is no choice but to accept downloads when they become available, might then bring a measure of control back to the user. Users maybe could then research the updates as they come out and manually download the ones they want. :unsure:

What do you think?

--JorgeA

From what I can see there's a Group Policy entry to avoid allowing Windows to choose when to update but to wait for you to run Windows Update when it's convenient for you (which could be never, I suppose).

I guess, if you want to take on installing the hotfixes directly, you'd have to have a separate test system set up somewhere that will let you know exactly what updates are available and when, so then you can go vet them and ultimately install them.  Just checking for updates with the aforementioned group policy setting is tantamount to giving the green light to install now.

-Noel

That's an interesting approach, although it does require a second (test) system and the dedication to run it.

I was thinking in terms of, if you can stop Windows from updating itself with something like the Samsung application (or some other fix yielding the same result), then you could periodically visit selected forums and see what Updates have been released, plus read reports of what havoc those Updates might be causing. Then, you would manually visit the KB articles and individually download the specific updates that you want from those pages.

Although this sounds like less work than running a test system in parallel, one possible drawback of my method is that the rolling release of new Windows (10) Updates will be less of an "event" than Patch Tuesday and therefore less newsworthy, garnering less coverage in cyberspace. So it could become difficult to even find out and keep track of what new updates are coming out.

--JorgeA

I will only use Windows 10 if I get paid at least minimum-wage HOURLY for every hour I waste doing something that was quicker, easier, and more convenient in Windows XP or Windows 7. The minutes add to hours... the hours add to days, and if this is to be MS's last OS, I will become a rich man.

And about the Samsung thing... I think it's a really bad idea, UNLESS they're only blocking KB3035583 and the other Win10 updates. I am also surprised that MS hasn't terminated their OEM agreement yet... Netscape as the default browser, anyone?

That's an interesting approach, although it does require a second (test) system and the dedication to run it.

My thought was to run a Domain controller in a VM, probably could use an eval copy of Server 2012 R2 or anything similar on the technet eval page. Then you join your PC to the domain and add configure to use WSUS. Then you can just have WSUS not feed any updates if you wanted. This would mean WU would still be enabled on the client, yet no new updates would be installed.

I don't plan on using Windows 10 personally, but it was an idea I had.

OT :w00t::ph34r:, but not much ;), someone has discovered that visually differentiating (optionally) the program window in focus from the other windows opened in the background helps in "getting rid of distractions and focus on current task":

https://hazeover.com/

HazeOver — Productivity Aid App for Mac.

Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task.

HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by fading out all the background windows.

jaclaz

OT :w00t::ph34r:, but not much ;), someone has discovered that visually differentiating (optionally) the program window in focus from the other windows opened in the background helps in "getting rid of distractions and focus on current task":

https://hazeover.com/

HazeOver — Productivity Aid App for Mac.

Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task.

HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by fading out all the background windows.

jaclaz

Well, that was enlightening: now I realize that the Microsoft folks are trying to imitate the Mac UI: same gray undifferentiated windows with hard-to-find controls and tons of wasted blank space in the application interface. About the only element missing is that garish dock thing.

Of course, veterans might point out that Microsoft playing "monkey see monkey do" with an Apple UI is nothing new, but still that's no excuse.

--JorgeA

Still OT, but not much, it seems that after all also good ol' XP is becoming SAAS (at least for the time being and for a few people) :

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/25/navy_pays_microsoft_9_1_million_to_continue_supporting_windows_xp.html

Besides the "Navy" news, I find this interesting:

As of Thursday, NetMarketShare.com was still listing XP as the second most adopted Windows version after Windows 7. Windows 8.1 is finally in striking distance to overtake XP, but really the whole situation is just pitiful at this point.

since in about a month time (or a little bit more) we will have no more 8/8.1 meaningful/relevant data (I forecast something like maybe the current around 2% Vista has right now :unsure:) and most probably a sensible reduction of 7 installs (all the pople that will have been tricked into the Windows 10 free upgrade transformation ).

I expect that by the end of August (or as soon as the data for it will be available on netmarketshare and similar) a lot of people will tag Windows 10 as "the OS that overtook XP" (instead of "the OS that definitely killed 8/8.1"). :whistle:

jaclaz

Still OT, but not much, it seems that after all also good ol' XP is becoming SAAS (at least for the time being and for a few people) :

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/25/navy_pays_microsoft_9_1_million_to_continue_supporting_windows_xp.html

Besides the "Navy" news, I find this interesting:

As of Thursday, NetMarketShare.com was still listing XP as the second most adopted Windows version after Windows 7. Windows 8.1 is finally in striking distance to overtake XP, but really the whole situation is just pitiful at this point.

since in about a month time (or a little bit more) we will have no more 8/8.1 meaningful/relevant data (I forecast something like maybe the current around 2% Vista has right now :unsure:) and most probably a sensible reduction of 7 installs (all the pople that will have been tricked into the Windows 10 free upgrade transformation ).

I expect that by the end of August (or as soon as the data for it will be available on netmarketshare and similar) a lot of people will tag Windows 10 as "the OS that overtook XP" (instead of "the OS that definitely killed 8/8.1"). :whistle:

jaclaz

The thing is, I really can't see XP's share going anywhere anytime soon. The people and companies that use XP are here to stay at this point, as anyone that needed to migrate has probably already left. I can see 7 and 8's percentage fall, while 10's rises, but I feel XP's percentage will remain if not constant, very little change.

I, too, don't see XP's numbers falling dramatically any time soon.

However, Win10 usage share might overtake that of XP, if only because a lot of unsuspecting Win7 users out there are going to let their systems downgrade to 10, either because they're curious or because they don't know that they don't have to accept it.

--JorgeA