Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

The documentation HAS finally showed up.

The depth and quality of the highly technical info are breathtaking!  Example - this gem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3027209

This one runs a close second:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3030947

-Noel

Its funny for sure... I recall a Microsoft KB article once saying that referred to the cause being a "Hardware or Software error." I cannot find it now, as it has likely been revised to read something different. It is still a joke about the office when we can't find the answer to something. Someone will say "It is probably just a hardware or software error." :lol:

@NoelC

... and you should see the automatic machine translation to italian page I land to[1]! :ph34r: 

#Trip

Just in case, a nice collection of the classic ones is here:

http://www.jazzkeyboard.com/jill/qarticles.html

A few particularly funy ones being highlighed here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/3541-how-many-microsoft-programmers-does-it-take-to-screw-in-a-light-bulb/

My all-time personal preference is probably this little pearl, that I imagine as a line for Mr. Spock in Star Trek (BTW, may MR. Nimpoy R.I.P. :():

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835840/EN-GB/

The problem here is that the file formats used by Office applications are extremely complex, and not too logical either.

jaclaz

[1]The good thing is that these translations (when they actually contain some info) are so patently wrong and absurd that it is unlikely that they will cause damages, as noone will be able to follow them based on the translation

Uh-oh...

Oh god... screenshots from Windows 10 build 10036 look worryingly like Windows Phone

OK, I'm starting to get worried now. I've been working my way through each of the public previews of Windows 10 and, on the whole, I've been fairly impressed. Not blown away, but generally satisfied. But some of the recent screenshots that have been leaking out have me a little concerned. -- there's more than just an air of Windows Phone, and that turns my stomach.

Yes, I know that there's meant to be a merging of paths between Windows for phones and Windows for the desktop, but for Microsoft to veer towards the look and feel of Windows Phone is a huge mistake. I only hope that the screenshots currently doing the round from build 10036 are not representative of the build we're waiting to be released.

[...]

What are you doing, Microsoft? We're meant to be moving forward. Looking to the future, not the past. Have you not learned by now that Windows Phone was a mistake -- people don’t like it. To be fair, they weren’t all that keen on Windows 8.x either (although I'm more enamored than many people are). This in mind, why would you want to sully the look of the next generation of Windows with elements from such a wildly unpopular mobile operating system? It just seems like insanity.

Exactly.

--JorgeA

The once-hot tablet market is slowing fast. Global shipments of tablets and 2-in-1 devices are expected to reach 234.5 million units this year, a modest 2.1% gain over last year, says research firm IDC.

That's down from 7.2% growth in 2014 and 52.5% growth in 2013, IDC said Thursday.

The slowing growth comes on the heels of the first year-over-year decline in worldwide tablet shipments, in Q4.   

At 4%, Windows tablets are projected to show the greatest proportional gain in shipments next year, but that's on a 5.1% base. (For the non-statistically-minded, that doesn't mean that trhe market share of Windows tablets will jump from 5.1% to 9.1%, but from 5.1% to something like 5.3%.)

And for this microsocopic gain in a declining market, Microsoft  is wrecking the Windows Desktop experience.

--JorgeA

I get that sense, too.

BTW my latest feedback to the Windows team (via one of the "Your Mission" tasks in the Insiders app) involved Windows Updates. I told them that they need to restore to the user the ability to read what an update is about BEFORE agreeing to download and install it. We've had enough disasters with Windows Updates already that this is the prudent thing to do.

I also told them that, in the Settings app, the infobox that pops up when you click on "more details" for a specific update needs to stay open for more than a half-second so that one can actually read and absorb the information. Also noticed that the more times I click on that to try to finish reading the box, the faster it goes away again.

They also need to include a button to cancel the download in case something happens or the user changes his mind. (Not holding my breath for that one. :} )

From the user's standpoint, the changes Microsoft has made to how Windows Updates work could turn out to be more troubling (both literally and figuratively) than anything they've done to the UI.

--JorgeA

Agreed.

Trouble is, most users don't seem to see the difference between "download and (if you 're conservative) schedule a time to restart with all the updates in place" vs. "vet each update, decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks, then choose to download / install it when it's most appropriate".

And the level of the documentation they produce for the updates is dismal lately.  It's a case where they know that doing less means people will care less.  They'd say it's a win-win situation.

That being said, keeping up with updates actually HAS been viable up to now, though not without a few stumbling blocks, for some of us anyway.

It's another case where the devil is in the details!

ULTIMATELY having chosen to install all updates to stay current is quite different than blindly and blithely installing all of them on the very same day Microsoft feels like releasing them.

Hopefully they've gotten the message as the feedback has been strong, but there's a clear conflict of interest.  Accepting their updates means everyone will be pushed further and further toward Microsoft's agenda, while a user retaining control means Microsoft isn't in control.

Don't we all wish it was Microsoft whose slogan is "don't be evil".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Dumbing down, yes, as well as a fair bit of sheep herding.

I am curious what you feel about the installation process is "terrible" though.  Is it that Microsoft all but hides the ability to create a system that runs from a local account?  Outside of Microsoft acting predatory, technically it seems to go fairly easily.

By the way, did you catch the note that they're going to make the installer download things from the Internet at install time?  That way they can change it as time goes on.  Call me jaded, but I see it as facilitating these things:

• Release of software that doesn't work right, because "it can be fixed later".

• An increase in predatory behavior as time goes on and the market will bear it.

• Less certainty that just because you have "a DVD and a license" you'll actually be able to do a fresh install.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Check out the following tidbit from this article --

Windows 10: Microsoft continues to refine and improve the user-interface

One of the most anticipated UI adjustments, being the transparent Start Menu is present in this build and is just a taste as to what's to come with the UI overall. WinBeta understands that many more elements of the UI will eventually receive transparent treatment, and that it'll be an option so those who do not like the idea of transparency can opt to not have it on.

I'll be curious to see if the transparency option extends to window borders (Aero Glass).

--JorgeA

As far I have tried leaked build 10036:

Installation of  build is worse than before:

Creating local account is even more hidden now. It still work when you put wrong login information to MS account but it no longer say that you are creating local account. It just gives you page where you put account information but without telling you that you will in fact create local account.

Thankfully clock in taskbar hasn't been uglified yet at least.

Icons in Windows 10 currently are just ugly. They look like icons in Windows did long time ago.

Start has indeed transparency but it only has transparency. It doesn't have blur. This is similar to registry weak in Windows 8.1 update 1 which only gives transparency to borders. Transparency is not Aero Glass. Aero Glass is blur + transparency = translucency.

in addition to Aero Glass I also want Aero visual style ( elegant buttons, progress bar, Aero icons etc.), Windows 7 style start menu as option and clock need to look like it does currently in taskbar. ( Don't make it ugly in the future to be more simplified / Modern UI style like it is with registry tweak). Windows 10 so far is disappointing and continue being worse with each version so I will continue waiting to next version of Windows unless something changes radically in Windows 10.

Edited by Aero7x64