XAML is the best thing that ever happened to Windows

dhjohns

That "Aero 7" theme by sagorpirbd seems a bit unpolished.  It has potential - I like that it gives controls visual style - but doesn't do nice things like return style to the Win 10 Taskbar, and has a few little style glitches/mistakes (squared corners of a few buttons that should be rounded, glyphs not centered in caption buttons, etc.).  I thought about trying to tweak the graphics in it a bit, but I've just gone back to standard Win 10 with my theme atlas replacement only.

A fully polished full theme replacement that "does it all" will no doubt appear.  People are already generating themes that are mostly working.  It's already clear that we can have a better looking / smoother working Win 10 UI than what Microsoft delivered.

Here's hoping Big Muscle can get FrameMargin working again.  :)

-Noel

You don't have to thank me.. thank Microsoft for the half assed UI.
That is just your opinion, I beg to differ!

That "Aero 7" theme by sagorpirbd seems a bit unpolished.  It has potential - I like that it gives controls visual style - but doesn't do nice things like return style to the Win 10 Taskbar, and has a few little style glitches/mistakes (squared corners of a few buttons that should be rounded, glyphs not centered in caption buttons, etc.).  I thought about trying to tweak the graphics in it a bit, but I've just gone back to standard Win 10 with my theme atlas replacement only.

A fully polished full theme replacement that "does it all" will no doubt appear.  People are already generating themes that are mostly working.  It's already clear that we can have a better looking / smoother working Win 10 UI than what Microsoft delivered.

-Noel

My opinion ? No it's not. It's a fact.

-Noel

XAML is the best thing that ever happened to Windows.  You are wrong to say it is a fact, because it is not a fact, it is just your little opinion.

-Noel

XAML is the best thing that ever happened to Windows.  You are wrong to say it is a fact, because it is not a fact, it is just your little opinion.
what is so good with XAML I mean this is an OS not a website.

also enforcing style elemets like that is not pretty, I rather have the taskbar W7 style but directly transparent/transcluent/whatever, but without blur, similar to my Win8 with Aero and stuff...

-Noel

Now you are the only being self entitled, of course its my opinion but you have no right to jump on me stating otherwise, I never said it wasn't my opinion. It's a fact that XAML is being half assed with other elements creating a bastardized OS (which the average user wouldn't notice) and makes it harder for themes to be created (if anything aside from Window border themes is made).. But I state that "fact" is my opinion, like it or not... Stop the entitlement.

Other people agree with me and im sure i am not the only one, stop being self entitled. I know because I've seen complaints from other people.

"XAML is the best thing that ever happened to Windows"

Not sure if serious or just trolling and being self entitled, it's clearly not the best, when I did an upgrade from a recent insider build to RTM, Almost NOTHING XAML Based was working and it was very slow and unresponsive, this would have never ever happened to any Win32 element as all were working fine. After a clean install everything worked fine, The new start still lags sometimes and takes a few seconds to show up when Windows 7 / 8 Start Menu / Screen would show up immediately and fast. I don't see how XAML Is the best thing that ever happened, it cannot even be themed, it's alien and buggy. It's "MY" Opinion and I say whatever I like, go bash your head somewhere else, bye.

Edited by Mrox2

-Noel

You don't even know what it is don't you? You're just parroting some buzzwords you heard elsewhere. Next thing you'll be saying is that everything should be done in Javascript lol

Edited by Blackbird256

I guess that we could use comparative terms :unsure:.

XAML is as smart as .Net

XAML is as useful as Silverlight

BAML is as stupid as .... (no wait, I don't think there can be something stupid enough to be compared to it ;))

jaclaz

Next thing you'll be saying is that everything should be done in Javascript lol

Ah, you've not had the pleasure of using GNOME 3 yet, I take it?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; Non-XAML Action Center (warning: less functionality); Windows 8 Clock and Battery Applets[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell]"UseActionCenterExperience"=dword:00000000"UseWin32BatteryFlyout"=dword:00000001"UseWin32TrayClockExperience"=dword:00000001; Windows 8 Network Applet[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Network]"ReplaceVan"=dword:00000002; Windows 8 Volume Applet[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MTCUVC]"EnableMtcUvc"=dword:00000000
With the above applied (to apply the ReplaceVan key, you'll need to take ownership or just run reg/regedit under a Command Prompt session as SYSTEM with the TrustedInstaller token) and StartIsBack++, the only XAML thing remaining here are the jumplists.

The non-XAML Action Center is far more barebones compared to the XAML one so perhaps consider not setting that key, for anyone interested.

(Saying that, I only collected the list of keys above from various sources because the XAML applets took eons to show in my initial installs of 10 in VMware, but on a real install, there's only a slight delay compared to the native ones. I just still prefer the native ones nevertheless.)

Edited by qwerty12

There are going to be people all across the spectrum.  It all has to do with what you need from your OS, what you run it on, and let's be honest - what you like.

There are folks who just want to surf the net and play games, and for them it feels as though Microsoft is doing the right things.  But there are others who, from their vantage points, don't see any merit in anything added to Windows since Windows 7 or maybe even earlier versions.

There are still others who are very critical of specific bad things that have been done, and yet remain hopeful that there may be a way to reconfigure and augment the latest Windows so that it's tolerable to use and may be able to give value for however long it takes until the next truly great leap in technology occurs.  I am in this camp.

Face it, Windows 10 is here.  It is what it is.

All we can do is try to be tolerant of one another, keep an open mind, and resist polarization leading to conflict.  It takes all kinds to make the world a rich and lively place.

To speak to the specific subject of this thread... 

Though IMO the current Metro/Modern environment leaves a LOT to be desired, wouldn't you say that a new, easy-to-program paradigm with an infrastructure to support it could be a Good Thing - IF it was actually done with technical excellence?  With all due respect, not everyone is equipped with the training / experience to see that it simply isn't implemented very well as it stands.

-Noel

anything that is managed and not native compiled is garbage and tend to be slower

but with 8 and now 10, they are pushing .net to be mandatory integrated part of an OS

which brings me to their statement that "this is last windows version", this somehow smells to me

that next thing in line is actual .net based OS

project Singularity was in dark veil since years

MS obviously does NOT plan killing .net as they are stubbornly continue with it

vista and 7 needed only .net 2 for DWM

but this new metroized os-es need I guess minimum version 4

and the more you go the more .net/wpf/xaml will take over

Edited by vinifera

Well, to be fair modern computers are faster than virtually anyone needs, save for maybe DNA folders or SETI signal analyzers.

Something had to be done to ensure people will crave more gigaflops and buy more hardware.  Gaming just can't be the only incentive.

-Noel