Windows 10 Detailed Feedback and wishes

R4D3

Two complaints so far, both pertaining to Audit Mode.

1. Start Menu does not work. Fortunately the right-click on the Windows logo still works, as well as Win+R.

2. MS removed the Change user and Power options from the lock screen. This means if the PC goes to sleep then you must fully remove power in order to boot back into the OS.

Since Windows 7 it is not even possible to install to FAT32 (without quite a few tricks)

The old tried and true phrase, "that's not a bug, that's a feature" comes to mind.

I don't understand a desire to use an inferior file system.  That doesn't mean it's not valid, just that I don't understand it.

Remember having to repair your disk all the time back when Windows ran from FAT?  Remember real loss of data?  How many times have you had to repair an NTFS volume because it became corrupted, even though modern computers now crunch through thousands of times more data?

Now, don't get me wrong...  I don't think NTFS is the best system that could be made.  We deal with its limitations and some of the inefficiencies of its implementation all the time.  I had hopes for ReFS but it's apparently stagnated.

I'm not being critical here, nor am I any fan of bloat.  I just prefer to pick different battles, and I do know how to deal with permissions issues.

-Noel

Well let's not restart the usual flame-war about FAT vs. NTFS :), as I see it it is not about which file system is "better" as it doesn't exist a "better" that fits all.

NTFS which I personally like and use whenever I can BTW, has a number of features that are simply not needed in a non-corporate, non-multiuser use and is more complex, which on not fast machines often implies a performance penalty.

Most probably the *right* file system for non-corporate, non-multiuser, low powered hardware would be exFAT (which not so casually has been "invented" in Windows CE and Windows Phone) particularly in the TexFAT (where the T stands for transactional) version but somehow/for whatever reason the good MS guys seem like having lost interest in it.

jaclaz

Thanks for your answers...

1h) Active Desktop

How to Explain (my English is not perfect :D) - with Active Desktop, you can put Web Elements, Folders, Icons, HTML, CSS, Flash Stuff, on your Desktop. As Example: you have Pic with a Face on the Desktop, and you like to have Animated Eye´s on the Face, with linked functions - so instead of loading a Bmp/Jpg File, you load your custom html (or add a Web-element) - with your face picture in Background, the animated Eyes (Flash, or Gif) in Foreground at Fixed Position, and add a Click function there (like open Web browser, etc...) - you can create small Buttons somewhere, add a HTML based Version of Sticky Notes, you can have Media-Player Controls, Buttons, and more...

This feature (i think) wasn't used of much people (so there is not much finished download Stuff for this)

The cool thing is, you can put that html, in your .theme file - and so you´re able to make a Working space preset by Themes... (one for Media/Video, etc...) - Note: A Background Embedded Flash/Gif Animation did not use CPU Power, if something like a window overlays it...

2b) File-Locking (.dll; .exe Files) (i think{not 100% sure} you already fixed that for me see Post 5) - question is did MS fixed that too ;)

2d) Reduce that 50.000 Folders

Why? Who cares what's in the Windows tree?

I care about... - i a care about every singe bit - since my first Computer (2x86DX with 20 Mhz Turbo, 2 MB Ram and 20MB HDD - i have payed something like 2000 Bugs for it... and i really see no reason why an OS need more than 1GB - i wanna have the full control of all files, and like to "know" them - its like when you open the Taskmanager of your Grandma, or something, - and you see 150 Tasks - with much of Crap, Spyware, etc... - you really can tell her, after one look, that something is wrong and that most of the stuff did not belong there - so for me a system needs a kind of order, that i am able to follow in my mind...

2e) If Windows Setup RamDisk + Hybridoption (using RAM !!!) for Temp Files

- Not an issue with modern SSDs, especially if you get one a bit bigger than you need.  Rule of thumb:  Lifetime writes of an SSD are about 1000x the capacity (actually, probably more than that).  So a 120 GB SSD should be able to receive 120 TB of writes in its lifetime.  Most folks would find it hard to write more than a few GB a day.  120,000 GB divided by even 50 GB of writes per day == 2400 days == more than 6 years!  Double the disk size and that goes up to 12 years.  Trust me, in 12 years you will not be using the same tech to store your data.

- but, my 4 Years old 60GB SSD allready lost 2% of health ;( - if Windows stops writing "xxxx" on my SSD, the lifetime will be longer (for me Hardware have to run at least 25 Years without any problems... )

2f) NEED ciadv.msc

No idea what you're talking about here.  You can stop indexing, and avoid the use of Windows Search entirely and still have a fine computing experience.

the Turn Off Option in this dialog, is different to the dialog in your HDD Properties...

2g) Search is Terrible ! 

I think they changed some things to make the Start Menu search not go out to the Internet, but I can't say for sure as I abandoned the Microsoft Start Menu a long time ago.  

Classic Shell is da bomb on this front.

i mean the Old XP Search like Agent Ransack https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/screenshots

4a)  Source Code Comments

What are you talking about here?  A specific language?  JavaScript in browsers?  What?

I am talking over the Resource Files inside Exe, Com, Dll, Ocx, etc

As Example you have thousands of cursors, doubled Images, 3 Color Images saved with a 24 Bit Palette, 1000 Times Doubled Images, - i dont know - at least more than 1000 Resources of crap (i think most of that s***, belongs to a bad compile of the source code)

4b) Doubled vacancies, doubled blank lines, vacancies on end of line, Tabulators

I use Visual Studio all the time to compile e.g. C++ code into native instructions and and I have no idea what you're talking about.

There are more than 12 Million of empty spaces in txt based Files of a Xp Iso... 12 Million !!!

Here is my first try of deleting that crap:

4c) Color Palette Optimizations

Sounds to me like you need a bigger disk drive - or a whole bunch of them.  No one worries about file sizes any more.  All the graphics I work on I save in at least 16 bits/channel mode, which is 2**48 colors.

:D nah, i need smaller files ;) - that reduces the amount of memory usage, disk usage, and my CPU can run them faster, and more energy efficient... I agree that doesn't matter, if you have a 8 Line long Batch file... - but if you have a Batch with 12 Million Lines, it matters...

If you like to test it, compile two exe files, one with 12 million empty spaces, 999.999 doubled 2 Color Pics at 320x200 with 16,7 Mio Color Palette, and one without that crap... - run them, and take a look, at CPU/GPU/RAM Speed, Usage, etc... - dont say there is no difference, and don't say, you need a new CPU for that - you don't need a new CPU, you need a proper written small elegant code...

4d) Doubled Resource Files Ico/Cur/Gif/Ani/Wav/Png/Bmp/Avi Files (thousands of doubled resources blow up the OS Size like a balloon) 

Time to buy some new SSDs.  Not long I got three Vertex 3 120 GB drives off eBay for like $45 each.  Made a RAID array of them using the motherboard SATA ports and Intel chipset.  Get with the times.

Example: You can slim down the XP explorer.exe to 330 KB or less (without loosing functions, or Style) by removing doubled Resources, and slim down the used colors

5b) Wim Image & Mounting

You're not supposed to be doing that.  You're supposed to let them install your OS via Windows Update.  That's not me talking, that's what Microsoft wants.  I'm with you, but the ability to do your own thing is certainly becoming less well supported.

Beyond that, it sounds like you need more resources in your computer.  Recall what I said above about getting more SSD hardware and making a RAID array.  They really work.

You know, if i got the great Deep Thought here in my room, i would give him the mission, to slim down his own Operations System to 42MB ;) - Windows without nlite/ntlite is not an Option for me...

6c) A Complete Sandboxed UserAccount

Sounds like you could benefit from use of a virtualization package.  I use VMware Workstation myself to do isolated testing. Your computer needs to be a bit overpowered to support running virtual machines, though.

Beyond that, there are some very good tricks to keep your browsing secure.  First and foremost, visit the MVPS.org site and get their hosts

Nah, i like to have a full sandboxed UserAccount, where i can click and install every virus i found (just to see what happens), without beeing harmed after a relog !

6d) Browserhjacking Stop

I'm not sure what you're running but the firewall might help you.   See my comment above about the MVPS hosts file.  Also, disable Internet Explorer from running ActiveX from anything but a Trusted Site, and require an act of Congress before adding a site to the Trusted Sites list.  You really can browse freely without worry with just a few things set up better than the out of the box configuration.

Did you never install something you like, or click a help button inside a Tool - and than Your Standardbrowser starts and open a Page - without warning ? (yes i am able to stop that, with firewall, or by deleting the default browser reg...

6f) Need a Firewall PresetProfile for Windows Update

Not bloody likely.  Microsoft's foot is firmly in the door with Windows Update.  They don't want you messin' with that.

:D see it from the other site: i already blocked to much, as i wrote this ;) (look at my Windows FW preset thread for it...)

7b) Better Mididatabank

As one who used to do some pretty spectacularly fun stuff with a soundblaster AWE64 way back when (ah the good ol' days), I have to agree that MIDI in a modern Windows system is just yesterday's news.

- Cause you dont need it, but there are people who need; - and yes i can change it with timidity)

A) USB SPINDOWN

I leave my USB drives connected (they're chiefly for backup) so I can't speak to whether there are any improvements here.  But...  Why are you moving USB hard drives around?  

Maybe you could consider improving your LAN or using big, fast USB flash drives?

- do you work for a Hardware Seller ? Why i should by new stuff every time ? - i allready pay 0,3$ per KWh for my Wind & Water Energy, dont need more power consuming, MS just should stop the spinning, when i disconnect them !

11f) 32 Bit BMP Codec is Broken (Prewiev cant open them, Paint does strange things with some Colorchannels...)

I saved a 32 bit BMP from Photoshop and had no problem opening it in Paint in 10240.

Did you add colormangemant to the pic ?

11g ) Problem of Jumping/Scrolling Themes and Pics

Not seeing anything that resembles that here.  Can you be more specific?

There was that problem, (when you add pictures), that i wasnt able to scroll (it jumped up and down the whole time...)

11e) repair installation need internet) and broke Guestaccount

You're probably screwed if you don't have a full-time Internet connection.  It's a cloud OS after all.

They can give me the Option, to run Renderengines on their Cloud Servers for free - that would make me happy ;) But Render them here, and save them in a cloud is not an option for me... (my data belongs to me - no one need to how often i log in or out, how much time a day i use my computer, and all that - if they wanna know, they can pay me for and i will tell them ;)

Edited by R4D3

I applaud your desire for independence and for efficiency.

I don't work for a hardware seller.  I actually run my own software business on as small a budget as possible. 

Sometimes you have to keep yourself from holding onto technology that's inefficient, because new stuff can be very, very good.  SSDs for example use almost no power at all by comparison to hot electromechanical disk drives.

As an example:  Not too many weeks ago I got a good deal from Dell on a PowerEdge T20 small business server.  The thing is actually a serious powerhouse and can saturate the gigabit Ethernet that connects it to the world.  I don't have $500 in it, and it boots and runs Win 7 x64 from a RAID 5 array of SSDs, with regular USB 3 backups to a Western Digital MyBook drive.  It's virtually silent, and draws something about 15 watts of power just sitting there.  No kidding.  It literally stays cold to the touch - feels no different than its surroundings.  In short, performance people only dreamed of a few years ago, hardly any power consumption, and not too much money.

Why did I buy it?

I had an old circa 2005 Dell workstation that I had repurposed as a file server.  It worked well enough but was a power hog, drawing nearly 200 watts and heating the room (costing even more in A/C).  When it finally failed due to bad capacitors I thought about resurrecting it - I even bought some capacitors - but before I could do the soldering I saw the PowerEdge deal and thought, what the heck.  Now I have a system that will pay for itself in power savings in a few years, and with a 3 year factory warranty.  Some of the hardware from the old server (e.g., keyboard, monitor, backup disk drives) from the old server now are part of the new server.

Moral:  That old hardware that you think is fine and should last 25 years may just be a boat anchor.  Don't put more into it.  Get something modern and enjoy.

-Noel

thx ;)

What you forget, is the energy that's needed for create new Hardware...

Don't think, I am running very old systems... - I don't... - I have Phenom II X6 1055T, with an 80%+ Gold Power Core running with one of the most Energy Efficient GPU´s on the World - the HD7700 (which gives in theorie 22 GFlops/Watt - in real its poorly slower than my old HD4770 that I got before - I cry crocodile tears because of that...) - I although got 2 SSD´s a 60GB (which already don't work so good anymore) and a 250 GB SSD which will be untouched as long, as I am don't have a OS in a State, where it does less writing on it... (reading doesn´t matter, this drive should not share his destiny with the 60GB one)

What you maybe don't know, is: that a Ramdisk (very cool if you have much memory) - is 100 times faster than a SSD (that's one of the reasons why I wish that MS gives me the Option to make a native 24GB Hybriddrive (12GB Ram, 12 GB SSD)

Time & Speed is a relative thing, and when you do some 3D Stuff, - you always need to force down, your renderoptions as much as possible - cause, if you wanna make a short animation - you don't like to wait 3 days for every single frame - sometimes I break it, when I see, that my system just finished 2% of a Pic after hours... - that´s the second reason, why I like to get a OS, that using less resources as possible - what means indeed that the 3 days will shrink to 2,5 days! Sometimes 0,5 days make a big difference in life - maybe its now my reasons are a littlebit more clear for you...

I am so disappointed from Windows 10 that I now try to make a Hackintosh instead (I am not very far with that...), I will try the successor from IBM OS2 too and sure, I still hoping for ReactOS to get finished (if I don't get success with that I will change to Win2003; - I don't care for Updates)

Edited by R4D3

Start menu customization from taskbar is no more possible... I'd like to change the number of recent programs and more used programs and the tab has disappeared for the last build... Instead of fixing things, M$ removes them from options!

-old windows update.. No pushed updates

-stop having settings all over the **** place... Remove "settings" and everything in control panel. Having both is a pain.

-windows wasn't meant for cellphones.. Stop making the os like its running on one.

Windows phones and PCs should be seperate operating systems. Besides i predict 3 years from now there won't be a windows phone.

Windows update is my main gripe atm

The update troubleshooting tool that Microsoft released last week could become a workable alternative for handling Windows Updates, if someone can figure out how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically looking for new updates. Then you could set up a scheduled task to run the new tool, and find out what updates are available that way.

--JorgeA

Jorge, I have Windows 10 Pro not automatically looking for new updates.  I described it before:

• Run:  GPEdit.msc
  • Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  • Change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to Disabled.

It seems to work, though one can never be too sure; I know I've had updates accumulate for days.  Have you tried this and specifically seen updates come in automatically?

-Noel

ConfigureManualUpdates.png

Edited by NoelC

Thanks for the reminder, I'll change that setting to what you suggest and see what happens.

Presumably Home users won't have even this possibility, right? Besides that update troubleshooter, is there any tweak anywhere that might be offered to Windows 10 Home users so they can pick and choose the updates they'll accept?

--JorgeA

I suppose Windows 10 Home users might not, but why would anyone want to run that?

I believe I have identified a possible strategy, based on the above setting and the use of that new "update hider" tool, for both seeing what updates are available and managing what updates are installed.  What remains to be seen is the depth Microsoft is willing to go to dredge things back up and especially how aggressive they'll be in overriding users' decisions.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I suppose Windows 10 Home users might not, but why would anyone want to run that?

That's the version obtained by most people who buy their PCs at a bricks-and-mortar store. <raising hand>

I believe I have identified a possible strategy, based on the above setting and the use of that new "update hider" tool, for both seeing what updates are available and managing what updates are installed. What remains to be seen is the depth Microsoft is willing to go to dredge things back up and especially how aggressive they'll be in overriding users' decisions.

Yup! If Microsoft doesn't mess with that strategy, it will go a long way toward mitigating the outrages introduced by Windows 10.

--JorgeA

^^ I totally agree. It would be interesting to see how Pro sales developed over the next several months, if Microsoft ever released a breakdown of sales of the various flavors of Windows.

--JorgeA