We can hide updates

netbookdelgob

So we can hide updates.

"To temporarily prevent the driver or update from being reinstalled until a new driver or updated fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface for hiding and showing Windows Updates and drivers for Windows 10. You can obtain and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter by downloading it from the Microsoft Download Center."

KB article 3073930

Something to note here...

This tool will show you updates that are available for your system without your having to install them.

That's significant.

Run it, choose the Hide updates option, and voila...  It shows you the list of updates available.

Let that sink in for a moment...

Coupled with the group policy setting that doesn't allow Windows to install updates until such time as you request it to, this suddenly makes management of the application of Windows Updates manageable once again with Windows 10.  Something like:

• Set your system to update only when you ask it to.
  • Check for updates at times appropriate to you by running this tool.
  • Vet each update by researching it online.
  • Maybe hide an update reported to bork a system or deliver unwanted functionality.
  • Start the Windows Update process via the Settings App.

GroupPolicyStallsUpdates.png

-Noel

The KB article explicitly states that it's only temporary. I don't see how this changes anything. You're still only delaying the updates. You're still only changing the when not the if. I think I'll install the Enterprise version and just not deal with this.

An add-on to replace a removed feature... how original. :thumbdown

They're covering their butts. They thought people would take it lying down, but they were wrong and had to scramble.

Edited by ptd163

The KB article explicitly states that it's only temporary

Do we believe everything we read by the company that's turned evil and devious?

I'd certainly pay to license 1 or 2 copies of Enterprise if that were possible.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

The KB article explicitly states that it's only temporary

Do we believe everything we read by the company that's turned evil and devious?

I'd certainly pay to license 1 or 2 copies of Enterprise if that were possible.

-Noel

I'll have to go back into the KB article to see what exactly it says about being temporary, but even if it isn't a temporary measure, consider the following:

By making the Hide Updates tool a separate thingie that users have to deliberately choose to install and launch, Microsoft is setting up a situation where a year or two from now they can say, "Well, only X percent of users ever opened this Troubleshooter, so we're discontinuing it for lack of demand."

Lack of awareness of it would be the real reason, of course. Since it's not integrated into the settings or even part of the OS as installed, only the techiest users would know this tool is even available.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

This tool will show you updates that are available for your system without your having to install them.

Run it, choose the Hide updates option, and voila...  It shows you the list of updates available.

Coupled with the group policy setting that doesn't allow Windows to install updates until such time as you request it to, this suddenly makes management of the application of Windows Updates manageable once again with Windows 10.  Something like:

• Maybe hide an update reported to bork a system or deliver unwanted functionality.

-Noel

FYI, this is working.

Today, for example, I see the following upon running the tool.  No automatic update had to occur for me to know what's available.

AvailableUpdates08062015.png

At this point I could:

• Do nothing for a while, and wait to see what others say about the updates.
  • Vet each one by doing an internet search
  • Choose individual updates to hide.
  • Just go to the Settings App and trigger an update.

Basically all the same things available to us before, with older systems.

-Noel

I can confirm that the tool works the same way for me. I have the KB3081424 and the same Defender definitions update waiting for me.

Not sure that the Defender update will wait forever, as my tweak of the Windows Updates settings took place over the weekend and several Defender updates have installed on their own since then, but the 1424 has indeed sat waiting for a couple of days now.

--JorgeA

Right.  As I recall Windows Defender itself loads its own updates on its own schedule, separately from the main Windows Update.  That's a case where automatic updates makes sense.

-Noel

If you are on WIFI you can permanently avoid downloading updates, valid for all versions.

Go to config, select Internet, Wifi & Bluethoot, open WIFI, in advanced options select metered conection, (better reboot just in case).   Then you can go to check for updates as usually but you only see what is available and no more updates download. I guess they made this option thinking in cell phones, tablets and laptops.  Desktop is not a priority anymore.

This utility is free for home users: http://www.portableupdate.com/ 

From it you can check for updates, select what you want  to download, and then it installs your selection if you want, It uses MS API's.  I recomend to read all info in that page to learn how to use it.

Edited by alacran

If you are on WIFI you can permanently avoid downloading updates, valid for all versions.

Go to config, select Internet, Wifi & Bluethoot, open WIFI, in advanced options select metered conection, (better reboot just in case).   Then you can go to check for updates as usually but you only see what is available and no more updates download. I guess they made this option thinking in cell phones, tablets and laptops.  Desktop is not a priority anymore.

This utility is free for home users: http://www.portableupdate.com/ 

From it you can check for updates, select what you want  to download, and then it installs your selection if you want, It uses MS API's.  I recomend to read all info in that page to learn how to use it.

Yep :), that option is already in Windows Phone and in Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-faq

I guess that our good friends down under (Australia) where metered connection is I believe very common will have an advantage, as long as they disconnect the lan cable and use Wi-Fi instead.

Next useful tool (besides the nice one you mentioned) might be *something* that allows to include cable connected NIC's as "metered connection" :unsure:.

jaclaz

Next useful tool (besides the nice one you mentioned) might be *something* that allows to include cable connected NIC's as "metered connection" :unsure:.

jaclaz

On cable conections you can try disabling the windows update service, and use the mentioned utility. I haven't tested this approach.

This utility is free for home users: http://www.portableupdate.com/

Edited by alacran

That's significant.

GroupPolicyStallsUpdates.png

-Noel

how to stop an update of a driver? (I don't want the latest driver for my touchpad!  WU keep install it!

N8Jf5sj.png