Windows 10 Detailed Feedback and wishes

R4D3

Nice guys, that you care about this like me - whats your alternative if MS Fails aggain ? - Join ReactOS ?

Personally, I will stay on Vista and then Win7 for as long as the software I need to use continues to work on those operating systems. If Windows is still broken at that point, then I'll move over to Linux which certainly offers no lack of customization options. Right now my leading candidates have been Zorin OS, which offers the closest "look and feel" Windows-like experience; and Netrunner, which offers a visually stunning desktop. (@dencorso says that this is because they use KDE.)

It would be nice if the ReactOS folks were to actually finish a fully Windoows-compatible operating system, but I'm not very hopeful that will ever happen.

--JorgeA

"Fail" is not a hard and fast thing.  It's an oversimplification.

Microsoft could continue to "fail" to make the newest versions of Windows a market success.  You might think, at a big picture level, that such a thing would mean that they would just go out of the operating system business, but the simple fact is that they've got a lot of manufacturers by the short hairs.  There has been and will be no absolute failure.  Microsoft themselves would say that Windows 8 is not a failure, with some tens of millions of users.

They could "fail" to deliver anything more than we've already seen in the Technical Previews.  In that case, I already know that (with the help of 3rd party developers and a lot of reconfiguration) it can be made it into a decent, workable system for me - I already have such a configuration running.  The worry, of course, is that they may break even more stuff and/or delete more features we need before release.

Personally, I imagine I'll work out the details to where I can continue forward with my engineering business running on Windows 10.  Should they suddenly make that impossible to sustain, I'll either stay with what I have at the time or at worst case drop back to an earlier version that I already have on hand.  And, as I have done with the several prior major releases, I'll have my book on configuring and augmenting Windows out, so in a small way I'll be turning their failure into my success.

The one real issue I have to confront, however, is that if Microsoft, as they say, diminishes then I'll need to branch my product development into other markets, with other systems (e.g., OS X, Linux, Android, Unix, ???) - something which I'm already doing in the background.  That'll just have to pick up a bit.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, i did an Windows Update (there was 3 Updates, one for my LAN, one for a MS Keyboard (i plugged it in 3 day ago, just 1 min for testing...), and a third one, - think it was for the Realtek Sound...

- This Updates brokes my whole windows, when i turn the PC off, - it tooks really long, than the message: there was a problem, and today its dead...  - i allready killed it three times now, and thats enough !

I dont believe that MS can fix all bugs until summer... - so what did this mean ? - It means: MS try to sell a broken buggy OS aggain, -  and i dont appreciate that ! 

Its boring and frusttrating ! So what can i do now ? - I could test Linux, E-Comstation (OS2), but i allready know that my progs dont work on it...

I would stay on XP, but my Hardwarecompanys (like AMD) drop their driver support for it - so i have just one single s***ty working driver for my desktop gpu...

Maybe i can use Windows 7 a bit (until Support Drops) - to wait for ReactOS, - or i sell my PC´s and buy a Mac... - or i try to get a Windows Server 2003 Version (maybe thats the best option i have, cause 10 sucks, and MS dont listen to their users, as they promise before !!!)

Edited by R4D3

Yesterday, i did an Windows Update (there was 3 Updates, one for my LAN, one for a MS Keyboard (i plugged it in 3 day ago, just 1 min for testing...), and a third one, - think it was for the Realtek Sound...

It is never a good idea to install driver updates from Windows Update. :whistle:

And now, without extra effort, you get no choice.  One of my main complaints is that they have oversimplified the control interface for managing updates.  From what I can see, now you just get the opportunity to have the computer ask you for a reboot after the updates are installed, and you get all of what they have queued.

I think there is a way to specify "don't update drivers" in another place.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It is never a good idea to install driver updates from Windows Update. :whistle:

And yet of course, as NoelC pointed out that foolish policy is exactly what MSFT is now expecting its users to adopt!

There's been talk of tweaking the new Windows Updates process so that you can decline driver updates. But that's not the only source of danger. Just a couple of months ago there was an update for Windows itself that broke DRM for Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center.

You'd think that with all this evidence of the hazards involved, the folks at Microsoft would adopt a more cautious approach to pushing updates on their customers. Looks like it's going to take a major disaster involving hundreds of millions of users and crashing their stock price, before they wise up.

"Pride goeth before a fall."

--JorgeA

That setting no longer exists, at least not directly.  Via the normal user setup UI you now have two choices:

• Automatic (recommended)
  • Notify to schedule restart

...as shown below...

WindowsUpdateAdvancedOptions.png

I'm not completely sure, since there have been a limited number of updates and my copy is emitting a "There were some problems" message, but I believe both of the choices above cause updates just to be installed immediately when they come out.  The difference is that the second case nags you to do a restart after the fact via the Notifications panel vs. just going ahead with it.

The "Choose how you download updates" setting is new, and appears to be a way to disable peer to peer networking, which is fully enabled by default (to the cloud!  to the cloud!)...

ChooseHowUpdatesAreInstalled.png

If I have misinterpreted the above, I would love it if someone could point me to documentation that describes the way it's really supposed to work.  It's all still pretty new.

-Noel

*Scouting around, I've found some options available via Group Policy (noting that the Local Group Policy snap-in doesn't work quite right in 10041, so is clearly getting new work done)...  I still need to investigate these to see if a combination can be set that implements an "Inform me when updates are available and let me choose when to install them" policy.

Cant check it right now (Win10 is still broken, and i will not stress my ssd with another install...)

You can get the Old Windows Update (in Control Panel) back with:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]"UxOption"=dword:00000000

(if you got more Options than, i dont know, but maybe some Regentrys from W7 just have to be added at this place, to get it to work properly...)

Edited by R4D3

The ability to configure updates would be a good reason to opt for "Pro" if that differentiated the edition from "Home".

There's also going to be an "Enterprise" edition which, even though I'm a small business, probably wouldn't opt for since I think the minimum you can buy is 5 licenses and I don't need that many.

-Noel

Build 10041 downloaded and installed today (automatically, of course -- hogging my bandwidth in the middle of the day while I was trying to get some Web research done on another PC in my network  :angrym: ).

The new build broke one of my Windows Gadgets, the network meter:

post-287775-0-62971100-1427327736_thumb.

Next thing I tried was to change the Windows Updates settings to what we discussed upthread. I set it to 2, to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." After a reboot to make the registry change stick, when I checked manually for updates, it nonetheless started downloading them at once without letting me choose, and at the end I had to reboot. The PC Settings crapp tells me that I have Updates set to "Notify to download." :realmad:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

...hogging my bandwidth in the middle of the day while I was trying to get some Web research done on another PC in my network   :angrym: ).

... but you had to reduce background p0rn downloading and totally unneeded lolcat browsing, so it is actually a good thing as with a reduced bandwidth you are more prone to better focus on your priorities ;) , we at Microsoft are working hard to better your experience when connected to the internet... :whistle:

jaclaz

NOTE: 

We who have used Win 10 are "changed" and can't deal with deep fun stuff from now on.

Please keep cute posts to the use of short words and base thoughts.

Thank you.

-Noel