Windows 10 Detailed Feedback and wishes

R4D3

NOTE: 

We who have used Win 10 are "changed" and can't deal with deep fun stuff from now on.

Please keep cute posts to the use of short words and base thoughts.

Thank you.

-Noel

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/quotes?item=qt0282091

Pando :w00t:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/15/8218215/microsoft-windows-10-updates-p2p

Apps and OS updates can be downloaded from Microsoft and PCs on a local network, or a combination of local PCs, internet PCs, and Microsoft’s traditional Windows Update servers. It’s no surprise that Microsoft is moving towards this distribution model. The software maker acquired Pando Networks in 2013, the maker of a peer-to-peer file sharing technology that’s similar to BitTorrent. It’s not clear what technology Microsoft is using for its Windows 10 testing, but it’s reasonable to expect it has evolved from the Pando Networks acquisition.

:ph34r:

jaclaz

...hogging my bandwidth in the middle of the day while I was trying to get some Web research done on another PC in my network   :angrym: ).

... but you had to reduce background p0rn downloading and totally unneeded lolcat browsing, so it is actually a good thing as with a reduced bandwidth you are more prone to better focus on your priorities ;) , we at Microsoft are working hard to better your experience when connected to the internet... :whistle:

jaclaz

Ssshhhh... quiet!  :sneaky:

--JorgeA

On that note (the Pando scenario) ... you may be able to disable any sort of peer-to-peer sharing by using the Firewall and using an outbound UDP rule.

Sure :), the point might be IF the built-in Windows Firewall end up with some hardcoded exceptions (it would not be the first time that something similar comes from Redmond [1]) or if one would need a Third Party Firewall or go all the way down and build a good hardware firewall, Linux or NetBSD/FreeBSD based (let's say IPCOP, Zeroshell or NetBSD/i386 Firewall) :unsure:.

jaclaz

[1] Old news (just in case):

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/431032/30/0/threaded

Good thinking on the firewall.  Of course, one would have to identify the components, protocols, etc. for the process.

Looking over jaclaz's linked article, it brought to mind something regarding publicly "exposing things Microsoft does"... 

Anyone noticed it no longer seems to matter whether the child points out that the Emperor's new clothes are a farce?

-Noel

Having adjusted the Win10TP Windows Updates setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them," today I got a notification that two updates were available. This time (don't know if it's because I changed the setting or because 10041 works differently), I was actually allowed to see what the Updates were about BEFORE downloading and installing them.

However, I still did not have a choice to download one update but not the other. This is still unacceptable: suppose that one update provides a critical and urgent security fix, but the other is known to brick computers?

Not enough granularity of choice here yet. (This choice existed all the way up to and including Windows 8, so I'm not asking for anything unusual or difficult here.)

The little pop-up that provides details about each update now stays visible for more than a split second, which is an improvement, but it still does not give a working link to the KB article.

--JorgeA

Was that the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" setting found in the group policy editor?

Unfortunately my Windows Update just sits with an error message stating, "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later...  blah blah", so I can't compare my experience what you're seeing.

I'll probably throw out this installation and start a fresh one from the ISO soon.

-Noel

• 4 weeks later...

I allready stopped my test, but i have to write this stupid one last thing here...

I wasnt able to play my lovley HOMM2 in Windows 10 cause i couldn´t use a low VGA resolution anymore.... Grrrrrrr !

Well... that game was designed for DOS... doesn't it even work with DOSBox at full screen?

I prefer to play the Windows Version (16 Bit.exe !?) - with dosbox there was a problem (cant remember right now...) - but the problem i haved was just with the resolution - cause you cant run 640x480 and 800x600 ? - Sounds stupid - if i think about - but i really wasnt able to force it to run in any way... or to fix that resolution error... - and than my OS was broken the third time (cause of an Update) - and than i stopped.. - ms will never listen to their users on a way users would like...

• 2 months later...

Question for people who run the Latest RTM Build....

- Did Microsoft solved some of my criticismspoints ? - Or is it still a waste of time to install it ?

See my comments in blue, interleaved with your questions.

>1a) Explorer Tabs (like QTTabBar_XP see Pic)

Nope, didn't happen.

>1b) AlwaysOnTop-Button (like QTTabBar_XP see Pic)

Nope.

>1c) Folder Icon Color (like Icolorfolder_XP see Pic)

Nope.

>1d) Folder Background Picture via Desktop.ini (see Pic from XP)

Heh, the only one available is "polar bear in a snowstorm", like Office 365.
That's a joke.  No, there's no background picture capability.

>1e) .msstyles reactivation, with UxTheme Patch for Community .msstyles

We wish.  Big Muscle's UxThemeSignatureBypass works fine, though.

>1f) Aero Glass (Transparent window Boarders)

They tried to pass off partial transparency as "glass", even though it was one of the most requested features.  A**holes.

>1g) Possibility to mark Files with a color via Entry in Desktop.ini (in this way its possible to remember things like in
>books with colored paper stripes, and color marker)

Nope.

>1h) Active Desktop (it took me a long long time to build 3 different unfinished HTML desktops who have interaction with
>the background picture, build in Mediaplayer, quick notes etc...)

Not sure what you mean here.  Whatever Win 8 had, Win 10 seems to have, but maybe less.

>1i) Library's: Get Rid of Music, Pictures, Own Files, and all that crap - Clever People don't like saving Files
>on Systempartition ! (Or: Let the user Choose where this Folders are Stored Physical !)

It's possible to hide Libraries and a few others by a system-provided setting.  The rest - EXCEPT for Quick Access - can be hidden by tweaks to the registry.  Trying to hide Quick Access makes it disappear, but also breaks dragging and dropping in the Navigation pane.

>1j) Small Icons Everywhere (Close, Minimize, Maximize Buttons are to big) - msstyles support should fix it (**** MS
>there is a whole Community on Deskmodder, Deviantart, and much more, and in every Windows Version they try
>to made it perfect - but YOU make it so hard for us Users - to Personalize Everything - its like you throw a tree between our legs....)

Nothing better here out of the box.  Now the caption buttons paint across the entire vertical space of the Taskbar.  It's possible, with Big Muscle's toolset, to replace the theme atlas that looks okay, though.

>1k) Need CLASSIC START MENU and DESIGN ! (that Startmenu who takes 40% of my Desktop PC Screen is a
>funny joke - you cant mean that serious !)

The 10240 Start Menu went through some changes, but I think it's just stupid as it is.  And it doesn't run at all with UAC off.

>1l) Fade/Dimm Everything except the Active Window (means that always the Active Windows is Highlighted
>- see Ghoster v1.2 from "Skrommel")

Nope.

>2a) Optional install on exFAT File System for Users who don't like Junctionpoints & Rightsmanagement & FileLocking 

Nope.  And it has no more ReFS support than Win 8 had either.

NTFS ACL permissions are fine, but they're not for the faint at heart.  I had training from the company that invented them - Digital Equipment Corp. - in 1980, and they really are okay once you understand how things work.

>2b) FileLocking: I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it !!!!!!!!!! (just to be clear at this point - i don't like to
>restart my PC cause i wanna delete a file who is used by explorer.exe) (probably fixed see Post 5 - big thx !!!)

A well-setup Windows system does not normally lock files unexpectedly.  If you have applications that are malfunctioning or are still allowing your system to manage Thumbs.db files, you need to do some system work to clear that up.  I can advise further if you'd like.

>2c) File/Harddrive Encryption with Options of Choosing Encryption Format and Rate (SHA512, ...)

I don't know about this.  I haven't heard of any new features in Win 10 in this area.

>2d) Reduce your 50.000 Folders (with 4 Files per Folder) to a maximum of 99 Folders - big thx !

Why?  Who cares what's in the Windows tree?

>2e) If Windows Setup is installed on a SSD there should be the Option to make a RamDisk
>(Unlimited + Hybridoption) for Temp Files (Browsing, Updates, Extraction, should not destroy the SSD Life !)

Not an issue with modern SSDs, especially if you get one a bit bigger than you need.  Rule of thumb:  Lifetime writes of an SSD are about 1000x the capacity (actually, probably more than that).  So a 120 GB SSD should be able to receive 120 TB of writes in its lifetime.  Most folks would find it hard to write more than a few GB a day.  120,000 GB divided by even 50 GB of writes per day == 2400 days == more than 6 years!  Double the disk size and that goes up to 12 years.  Trust me, in 12 years you will not be using the same tech to store your data.

>2f) NEED ciadv.msc to put out Harddrives completely from Indexservice

No idea what you're talking about here.  You can stop indexing, and avoid the use of Windows Search entirely and still have a fine computing experience.

>2g) Search is Terrible ! (i like the Advanced Search from Windows Xp without Assistant - i don't wanna search in
>Internet with this tool (for Internet i use a Browser !!!) - and i don't wanna wait ! - got a SSD here ! - The Thirdparty
>Tool Agent Ransack is able to find good and quickly - but normally i really prefer that XP Search ! (the Quick Search
>in Windows Explorer for the active Folder is fine, but QTTabbar on XP did it better !)

I think they changed some things to make the Start Menu search not go out to the Internet, but I can't say for sure as I abandoned the Microsoft Start Menu a long time ago.  Classic Shell is da bomb on this front.

>3a) Please take the: FALL-BACK ON ERROR Language out of the Files - and move it to mui files as the others
>(or go back to real localized version)

I have no info on this.

>3b) Don't Translate Foldernames ! Its totally weird that i cant trust the Name of a Folder ! (or Localize them although !)

I think they still do this, though I personally use en-US so I can't say from personal experience.

>Compiling the Source Code - A clean Compiled Code (save up to 70% per file !!!), where following is removed:
>4a) Comments (the ; Comments are not for Normal Users, so there is not need to be compiled !)

What are you talking about here?  A specific language?  JavaScript in browsers?  What?

>4b) Doubled vacancies, doubled blank lines, vacancies on end of line, Tabulators (no need for this !)

I use Visual Studio all the time to compile e.g. C++ code into native instructions and and I have no idea what you're talking about.

>4c) Color Palette Optimizations (a Pic with 4 Colors and a Alphachannel don't need to be saved with a 16,7 Mio Color Palette !

Sounds to me like you need a bigger disk drive - or a whole bunch of them.  No one worries about file sizes any more.  All the graphics I work on I save in at least 16 bits/channel mode, which is 2**48 colors.

>4d) Doubled Ico/Cur/Gif/Ani/Wav/Png/Bmp/Avi Files (thousands of doubled resources blow up the OS Size like a balloon) 

Time to buy some new SSDs.  Not long I got three Vertex 3 120 GB drives off eBay for like $45 each.  Made a RAID array of them using the motherboard SATA ports and Intel chipset.  Get with the times.

>If you delete doubled Resources, you need a dll Library like Shell32.dll (its impossible without using a Library file) -
>an it would be Perfect when this file get Permission to be Modified, and if its Documented which Icon is for what...
>(for easy Shellpack making like FlyAKite - people would love it !!!)

Sounds like you want Windows to be more open, more customizable.  Windows 10 is going ANYWHERE but that.

>Setup

>5a) More Options for Personal Install and for Choosing what Apps are needed: Newsmessage, Weather, OneDrive,
>.... - i really don't need it !

I agree.  I want none of it.  But you get it all by default, and you can't install some of it - without resorting to hacks.  Windows 10 is all about Microsoft delivering what THEY want you to have.  What you want to have is inconsequential.

>5b) Wim Image & Mounting: it tooks hours, days, months, years - everytime i try to change the
>Wim Image it feels like starving ! - The old inf based setup was soooo much better, and easier to be changed...

You're not supposed to be doing that.  You're supposed to let them install your OS via Windows Update.  That's not me talking, that's what Microsoft wants.  I'm with you, but the ability to do your own thing is certainly becoming less well supported.

Beyond that, it sounds like you need more resources in your computer.  Recall what I said above about getting more SSD hardware and making a RAID array.  They really work.

>Bootoptions , Logon & Security needs:
>6a) Boot Windows in a Write Protected mode like Embedded Standard 2009 did with advanced
>NTLDR & EFW [Enhanced File Writer] by creating a temp file on a disk or ramdisk

I see nothing new in that area in Win 10, and it'll be a while before I'd trust any 3rd party caching system, such as PrimoCache or similar.

>6b) Boot Registry Write Protected Mode like Embedded Standard 2009 did with the /MINNT Bootflag by creating
>a temp file on a disk or ramdisk

See the above.

>6c) A Complete Sandboxed UserAccount for Testing Software, Installers, or Secure Internet Browsing !

Sounds like you could benefit from use of a virtualization package.  I use VMware Workstation myself to do isolated testing.  Your computer needs to be a bit overpowered to support running virtual machines, though.

Beyond that, there are some very good tricks to keep your browsing secure.  First and foremost, visit the MVPS.org site and get their hosts

>6d) Browserhjacking Stop ! (No Software should be allowed to Open the Standard Browser, and call a url address
>! There Should be an Exact Warning Message, like: MCP.EXE is trying to Open: www.PutFlintIntoTheLaser.com !
>- Would you like to open it ? Yes / No

I'm not sure what you're running but the firewall might help you.   See my comment above about the MVPS hosts file.  Also, disable Internet Explorer from running ActiveX from anything but a Trusted Site, and require an act of Congress before adding a site to the Trusted Sites list.  You really can browse freely without worry with just a few things set up better than the out of the box configuration.

>6e) Better Outbound Control and Alert for Windows Firewall ! If whatever try´s to call out or in, i wanna be
>asked and be able to make a rule for it (like the Invictus XP Kerio Firewall 2.1.5)

I see nothing to imply WIndows 10's firewall has any additional features over the firewalls of its predecessors.  It's still permissive by default.

>6f) Need a Firewall PresetProfile for Windows Update !

Not bloody likely.  Microsoft's foot is firmly in the door with Windows Update.  They don't want you messin' with that.

>Sound
>7a) AC3 & SPDIF Options/Filter/Codecs: Some people get problems with SPDIF Passtrough via Cinch
>or Toslink - means: no Dolby Digital 5.1 when playing a DD 5.1 DVD in Media Player

I have no specific info, except to say that Microsoft expects you to get your own software to play media now.  Reports from others seem to indicate Media Player et. al. have less capability than ever.

>7b) Better Mididatabank (at least 8MB - the inbound Library doesn´t Sound good, and it seems that
>no one have worked on that since Windows 3.0) - Don't forget Reactivate the Midi Interface ! 

As one who used to do some pretty spectacularly fun stuff with a soundblaster AWE64 way back when (ah the good ol' days), I have to agree that MIDI in a modern Windows system is just yesterday's news.

>"Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers (APIC)"
>8a) Some tools i use need APIC Support ... so put it in the Multiprocessor Kernel please

Only comment I have on this is that Windows is moving away from being a "To Work" system and is becoming ever more oriented to being an end-user data content consumption system.  Unless APIC support is something they're going to need to support the latest Intel chips, or some 3rd party will write a driver to go with a specialty development package, you're probably not going to see improvements.

>USB
>9a) Got the Problem that USB Harddrives don't stop spinning even when i do that unnecessary secure disconnect
>(i know that you just need it when you have enabled the cache on it...) - so i need something similar like the PARK
>Command from DOS 5.0 to be sure that the Harddiskhead is Parked well, and i need to send a extra SPINDOWN
>(if this is not part of the park Command) - pluggin out cables from spinning harddrives i really don't like !

I leave my USB drives connected (they're chiefly for backup) so I can't speak to whether there are any improvements here.  But...  Why are you moving USB hard drives around?  Maybe you could consider improving your LAN or using big, fast USB flash drives?

>9b) FORCE DISCONNECT for USB Devices - or report me exactly which handle/pid/thread looks it,
>and why, and how to force a Process termination !

I am unable to comment on this.  I haven't seen any problems, but then I'm not plugging much in/out of the USB ports.

>Energy
>10a) Sometime the Energyscheme decides to send a sleep state while the CPU is on 100% utilization -
>when a rendering Program needs hours or day to be calculated, i am leaving the PC and don´t move the
>mouse anymore, and then windows start the sleep state ! I can change it, when using another Powerprofile,
>- but this means - that the PC doesn't go to sleep, - even when the work is done... (Green Energy is
>not so cheap in Germany !!!)

I can't comment on this.  Most of my Win 10 testing is on a virtual machine.

>10b) I even need a dynamic Energyscheme (means on idle the PC has to use the absolute possible
>minimum Energy, but when its working at 100% i wanna have all the Power i have paid for !)

I did do some measurements of power consumption on a real Win 7 / Win 10 dual boot hardware setup, and with Win 7 vs. Win 10 playing the exact same video, Win 10 ran the processor some 10+ degrees C hotter.  Somewhere around here is a thread where I posted the numbers.

>Paint
>11a) Give it some "Levels" like PS and add a better Selection Utility

I have Photoshop, so I can't speak to this one.  Also I run with UAC disabled, so no Modern Apps for me.

>Photoviewer
>12a) Where is the Option to take Pic as Desktopbackground ?

As with prior versions, it's almost universally better to replace the Windows-supplied viewer with something like Irfan View.

>Windows Media Player
>13a) Please put back the wmpband.dll to get a wmp control in the taskbar

As I mentioned earlier, they seem to be moving away from having Windows play media in general.  I never used any kind of WMP control from the Taskbar myself.  Other than that it seems pretty much the same as in Win 8.1.

>11c) Sometimes a System Properties Page (Localization was last one) hangs, when this happens the Explorer
>got Problems to, and the Startmenu doesn't working anymore, a restart of the explorer.exe and the Profile Account
>doesn't fix it - whole PC restart is needed !

Can't say I saw that in particular, but Win 10 build 10240 is not without failures that require a reboot.  Microsoft seems proud of the fact that Win 10 is being released without being called "RTM", and I guess this means that the programmers can keep hacking changing code right up to the day it goes out to customers.  I certainly can't see this as anything good.

>11d) The Search in the Start Menu just find a inactive Windows Update link (is it anywhere else than in the Action Center ?)

Use Classic Shell and be happy.

Seriously, no one could possibly use Windows 10 without tweaking it heavily and using 3rd party tools.

>11e) PhysX cant be Installed on AMD (for CPU PhysX)

No idea.

>11f) 32 Bit BMP Codec is Broken (Prewiev cant open them, Paint does strange things with some Colorchannels...)

I saved a 32 bit BMP from Photoshop and had no problem opening it in Paint in 10240.

>11g ) Problem of Jumping/Scrolling Themes and Pics when you wanna change it

Not seeing anything that resembles that here.  Can you be more specific?

>11h) - After i tryed to repair Windows Update with a BatchFix for Windows 7 - ive
>destroyed Startmenu and Action Center completely - **** need complete reinstall....

Microsoft would say, don' mess wi dat.  If you're going to hack you need a good safety net.  Again, I recommend testing in a VM.  One of the things VMware provides is the ability to make (and restore) snapshots literally in a few seconds.  There's nothing like the comfort of restoring a snapshot after trying a registry mod that kills the system.

>11e) I did a repair installation (old windows ist moved to windows.old) - after that i could not log in
>(password was acepted only when i am plug in the internet) and it seems i boke something with this
>(Guestaccount as example...)

You're probably screwed if you don't have a full-time Internet connection.  It's a cloud OS after all.

>11f) The firewallrules you get when create a new user, are different to them you get after install,
>and different to the standard rules - and all of them are mostly bad configurated

I can't comment on whether this is any better in 10240.  Sorry.

>11g) If you create a new user Account and log into it, - all firewall rules (even in your main account) - will be overwritten !!!

I can't comment on whether this is any better in 10240.  Sorry.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

See my comments in blue, interleaved with your questions.

>2d) Reduce your 50.000 Folders (with 4 Files per Folder) to a maximum of 99 Folders - big thx !

Why?  Who cares what's in the Windows tree?

I do :yes:, and I even have some practical reasons for this :w00t:.

Since Windows 7 it is not even possible to install to FAT32 (without quite a few tricks), JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/topic/19643-winsxs-hardlinked-files/

because of the sheer number of files and the complex hard-linking.

If the good MS guys would use some common sense (pretty much rare quality) in the organization of the OS, removing the bloat and the completely unneeded complexities, I bet they could have a much faster OS as a result (the difference would not be noticeable on high end machines with high speed SSD Raids, but likely it would make a whole lot of difference on the senselessly underpowered machines like phones and tablets).

jaclaz