KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

4 hours ago, schwups said:

@MIKL: "Copy and Paste broken" Is your entire system affected or only NotePad++? Please tell which NotePad++ you use.

The copy & paste problem affects only "KEx-apps to Non-KEx-apps" but now also "KEx-apps to KEx-apps". I use latest Notepad++ 6.9.2 but the problem is also there with a 6.8.x version. SumatraPdf is also affected.

"Need-only" means functions are only used if a module won't load without them. They are not used for delay-loading.
If a module is UPXed, Need-only status is ignored and all functions (including stubs) can be used at any time. This will break some features and some complete apps.
UPX support is still highly experimental. Un-UPX any files that do not work as expected.

Almost all of the new functions in v.14 are Need-only stubs that are only used if a module won't load without them. These will not affect any currently working apps that are not UPX'ed. They are definitions from my Kexstubs.ini file tested to help run additional apps and dlls that previously did not load.

LockFileEx was converted to Need-only because its incomplete implementation could cause a thread to hang (based upon SeaMonkey debugging).

The other new functions are just forwards:
- Ntdll.RtlGetCurrentDirectory_U
- Ntdll.RtlSetCriticalSectionSpinCount
- Rpcrt4.UuidCreateSequential

here KernelEX as INF package for Win98IF:
http://bust.narod.ru/98if/r_kernelex.zip (always last INF version)
For SE or SP3 need some cosmetic INF script corrects, because uninstall link in SystemComponets window placed in category, that no in SE and probably SP3. (see [KERNELEX] group)IFko says that uninstall link may placed to root if no category
For place-in to SE, SP3 distributives you also may need rename INF file (see if_progJ.inf keyword in INF file)
</p><hr />
@MIKL: "Copy and Paste broken"
I have only standard "problem": if you copy unicode text from program, that no fills ANSI variant to buffer, to program, that not know and not support unicode - you have no paste or paste incorrect.
<hr />
Are some instructions about syntax core.ini? How to install, make KernelEx plugin?

Very thanks Jumper & Xeno86

Edited by filth
update info

On Samstag, 3. September 2016 at 10:42 AM, MiKl said:

Hi Jumper, SumatraPDF 3.1.2 freezes on both of my main PCs when clicking on the menu icon top left. Does not happen always but very often.

Hi Jumper, today I noticed that when I have one or more tabs open that SumatraPDF 3.1.2 does not freezes/hangs !!
Maybe this will help if you try to fix this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Opera 10 (10.01, 10.1, 10.63) doesn't start anymore with "Use default compatibility options (KernelEx is enabled)". Failed to load Opera.dll: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. It runs, if I disable KernelEx for Opera.dll.

The last lines of ApiHook log:

1 ffc55877      [OPERA.DLL]0134e75a:<Kernel32.DLL>FlsAlloc(bfa4a2aa)
1 ffc55877      [OPERA.DLL]0134e75a:<Kernel32.DLL>FlsAlloc                        ffffffff

1 ffc55877     [OPERA.DLL]00404cbe:<Kernel32.DLL>ExitProcess(bfa4cc8c)

0 ffc55877   End of ApiLog for C:... 

Edited by schwups

Please clarify "anymore". (FlsAlloc didn't change in .15)
Un-UPX opera.dll
Edit CORE.INI to disable Fls in modes lower than WIN2K3
Try ME mode.

Solved: in CORE.INI add:

[DCFG1.names.98]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=none

[DCFG1.names.Me]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=none

[WIN2K3.names]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=kexbases.0

Edited by jumper

14 hours ago, jumper said:

Please clarify "anymore". (FlsAlloc didn't change in .15)
Un-UPX opera.dll
Edit CORE.INI to disable Fls in modes lower than WIN2K3
Try ME mode.

Solved: in CORE.INI add:

[DCFG1.names.98]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=none

[DCFG1.names.Me]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=none

[WIN2K3.names]
KERNEL32.FlsAlloc=kexbases.0

I didn't say this behaviour occurred with version 14, not 15. Yes, adding these entries solves it! Opera 10 runs up to mode Win2KSP4 again.:cool:

I recommend that everyone add these entries.

FlsAlloc is the first new function in several years to be identified as needing its scope limited in CORE.INI, but there have been others in the past. Theoretically, all new functions (stubs and full) should have corresponding entries in CORE.INI to limit their scope. In practice, however, that would bloat CORE.INI beyond usability.

The UPX support hack treats "want" requests as "need" requests, exposing any Vista-aware modules that are UPX'ed to potential compatability problems. I'm working on an updated architecture that solves the UPX problem and also allows new functions to be assigned a minimum OS mode. I hope to deprecate CORE.INI eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a version 14 package, which included updates for all the dlls but didn't include any installation files, and a version 15, which just updated kexbases.dll.
I think that the version 11 package was the last to include any installation files.
:)

11 hours ago, ugooconnell said:

Hello, it's the latest update link dead?

I suppose you mean the link to Release 11 in first post. Indeed the link is broken, most likely due to recent board software update.
Here's the correct link: Release 11

I'm in the process of gathering all possible releases (complete with links) and hosting them at my repository for backup purposes and easier retrieval.
Hopefully I'll finish by tonight (UTC+2). Check the KernelEx folder sometime later.

5 hours ago, Drugwash said:

I suppose you mean the link to Release 11 in first post. Indeed the link is broken, most likely due to recent board software update.
Here's the correct link: Release 11

I'm in the process of gathering all possible releases (complete with links) and hosting them at my repository for backup purposes and easier retrieval.
Hopefully I'll finish by tonight (UTC+2). Check the KernelEx folder sometime later.

I think I have 11-13 in my Downloads if you need it