POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I guess I am ignorant, but what is the purpose of all those .Net Framework files? How do I know I should install anything beginning with .Net?

I don't know anything about certificates either, is there something I ought to do about them?

Edited by Roffen
Fixed text.

I'm pretty sure that .NET is an intrinsic component of later Windows versions, and cannot be removed, but on XP you don't need to have it installed at all unless you have applications that use it.
If you do use it (and I'm not sure of any easy way to tell if you do!) then you should update it for security.
:)

Both updates installed fine, although they both took ages to do so.
Do we know if they supersede any previous updates whose installation files can now be deleted?
KB4020517 is for .NET 2.0 SP2 BTW, not for .NET 3.5.
I haven't seen an update for .NET 3.5 for ages.

8 hours ago, Roffen said:

I guess I am ignorant, but what is the purpose of all those .Net Framework files? How do I know I should install anything beginning with .Net?

Programs written in language that is based on .NET Framework will require .NET Framework. Security updates... well, patch known vulnerabilities :P According to @heinoganda's revelations, these are hotfixes fixing something broken in previous .NET updates. If you are not using stop-computer cmdlet in Powershell (and if you are outside of corporate network and don't know what 'powershell' is, this is rather unlikely) you most probably won't notice that changes provided.

.NET is a base for more and more programs for Windows (for example, popular password Manager KeePass2 requires .NET framework to run). However, of you don't use any .NET based program, you might uninstall it completely - which might not be that easy, to track down which dependency every of your programs require.

Personally, I uninstalled .NET 1.1 Framework on XP, no more updates are being provided, and I failed to install any available POSReady updates into it. And I don't think I have ever used .NET 1.1 based program o_O.

8 hours ago, Roffen said:

I don't know anything about certificates either, is there something I ought to do about them?

A base for digital signatures and internet encryption. They have their own expiration dates, and some are being revoked if stolen or published by authority that later appeared., eh, slicky. Not to dig deep into it's theory, it's worth to have them updated.

Windows has it's own certificate storage, but other programs, f. e. Firefox browser, have their own as well.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I haven't seen an update for .NET 3.5 for ages.

netxp1egcr0mo419.jpg

netxp2pq4xoy0dcj.jpg

KB4020517 is for .NET 2.0 SP2 BTW, not for .NET 3.5.

Version 3.5 of the .NET Framework was released on 19 November 2007. As with .NET Framework 3.0, version 3.5 uses Common Language Runtime (CLR) 2.0, that is, the same version as .NET Framework version 2.0. In addition, .NET Framework 3.5 also installs .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 (with the later 3.5 SP1 instead installing 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2), which adds some methods and properties to the BCL classes in version 2.0 which are required for version 3.5 features such as Language Integrated Query (LINQ). These changes do not affect applications written for version 2.0, however.

As with previous versions, a new .NET Compact Framework 3.5 was released in tandem with this update in order to provide support for additional features on Windows Mobile and Windows Embedded CE devices.

The source code of the Framework Class Library in this version has been partially released (for debugging reference only) under the Microsoft Reference Source License.

.NET Framework 3.5 is supported on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, 7, Server 2008 R2, 8, Server 2012, 8.1, Server 2012 R2, 10, and Server 2016.

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework_version_history#.NET_Framework_3.5

Do we know if they supersede any previous updates whose installation files can now be deleted?

KB4020517 and KB4014580, as KB4020510 and KB4014570 can easily extract with 7Zip and compare the contents of the patch files (extension msp). KB4014580 and KB4014570 are no longer required!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?page=39#comment-1106194 (I have updated accordingly!)

Edited by heinoganda

Heinoganda and everyone - Regarding heinoganda's post just above at LINK TO ABOVE, do you think these will also appear on Tuesday?

It's a beautiful Spring in NYC - Central Park trees are all young green with a dusting of lemon.

Er, possible slight problem here guys!
Windows Update is no longer working for me.
I'm just getting redirected to a help page which is just showing an emoji in Internet Explorer 8.
If I go to the same address in Firefox, I'm just getting the standard FAQ page for Windows Updates.
Anyone else seeing this?
Has Windows Update now finally been blocked to us?
:no:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

I'm seeing it, too. It's not related to your updating FF, because I'm still on 52.1.0 esr.
Let's wait and see. The site may be down for now, and get back up later.
It seems the problem is with the redirect, though, because
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
works all right (on IE8, of course).
Later addition:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-uk
also works OK.
And not just that, it's also offering a new DST update (KB4015193) as a High-Priority? Come on: Magallanes in Chile... are they serious?

Whew, thank goodness for that!
I don't think this is anything to do with Firefox versions.
Your link does indeed still work when opened in IE8.
It's the "Windows Update" link on IE8's toolbar under "Tools" that isn't now working.
Let's hope it's just temporary as you say.
:yes:

Can the IE8 toolbar link be modified?
I can't see it obviously in the registry anywhere.

I've just tried it on my netbook, and that's showing the "you must update your browser to use this site" message as well as the emoji.

Edited by Dave-H

Thanks Den!
I already had a shortcut that just ran wupdmgr.exe, but I'll change it so it runs that command, and hopefully it will then keep working!
A bit annoying that the embedded link in IE8 no longer works though, but as you say it may just be a temporary glitch.

@heinoganda

I realise that .NET 2.0 SP2 is included in the .NET 3.5 installation, but the install of KB4020517 all through its installation routine said it was updating .NET 2.0 SP2, not .NET 3.5, so I think it should be flagged as being an update for .NET 2.0 SP2, not .NET 3.5.
There may be people with .NET 2.0 SP2 installed, but not .NET 3.5, who don't need .NET 3.5 so have never installed it, and it should be clear that that update applies to them.

The only updates I have listed in Add/Remove Programs that specifically say they are for .NET 3.5 SP1 are KB2736416 KB953595 KB2604111 KB963707 KB958484 KB2840629 and KB2861697.
Is that correct?
Cheers, Dave.

To the subject .NET framework, since I do not have to lead a "belief war" since it does not change the fact that the .NET Framework 2 is a component of the .NET Framework 3.5.

The web link (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) is fixed in the wupdmgr.exe file as well as in IE files.
The redirection goes to this website https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq
Guess that this is not a bug, but it is willed by MS!
Many paths lead to Rome, matching weblinks in the IE favorites list or shortcuts to the following destinations

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

Edited by heinoganda