Windows Me in 2014

Stefan43

Hello,

Do some persons on this forum use Windows Me on their computer? If the answer is yes, is it possible to run Windows Me on a computer in 2014 with an up to date browser, and Flash working? And what programs and updates do I need to install so that it's safe and functional?

Sorry that I posted this topic double. Something went wrong with my internet connection.

Edited by Stefan43

And do more users on this forum use Windows Me?

Just look a bit "around you" in this same sub-forum. :)

Understandably :whistle:, most people here run 98SE, some with the 98SE2ME Mdgx's recommendations, and only a few run "pure" Me, but the differences with 98SE are not that much (or are you going to racistly tag those using 98 as "retrocomputing geeks"? :w00t::ph34r:) ;)

jaclaz

You do not need anti-virus software, you need to be aware of ways people attack a computer. If somebody attacks a computer, then it is some goverment person, snooping around. Older anti-virus software, might work, but newer ones pretty much prevent people from protecting themselves from privacy. Speaking of privacy, their are a couple of browsers that are virus aware, and promises you that. Chances are if you limit your browsing, like you limit where you go outside, chances are you will not run into any viruses. Right now it is about the law, violating privacy.

Windows 9X runs just fines, it is more about security issues, with dick-less g-people, trying to snoop your system. I use a browser that blocks, the entire website from loading, but it leaves open certain websites.

About Flash, the highest I ever got was an unofficial version of flash 9. I forget which version it was. Right now Flash is on 15 or is it 20, and you will not see that, unless you have the higher end computers. Most FLASH Video websites, also wants the latest flash. Youtube will settle for the older flash. I found a flash down loader program, that uses HTML interface, no Java, and was an EXE file, it works great, when I am unable to view a website. That is as good as it will get with 9X, unmodified KernalEx. Their are also flash plugins for browsers, but they have spyware. Also adobe itself, admitted to security flaws. Because a flash could run processes as well. So beware, of what file you run.

Edited by ROTS

Thanks to everybody for answering.

@ROTS: What browser do you use on Windows 9x?

@jaclaz: Ok, I found an Unofficial Service Pack for Windows Me. But my installation of Windows Me is Dutch. Is it possible to install the English Service Pack on the Dutch version of Windows Me?

Thanks to everybody for answering.

@ROTS: What browser do you use on Windows 9x?

@jaclaz: Ok, I found an Unofficial Service Pack for Windows Me. But my installation of Windows Me is Dutch. Is it possible to install the English Service Pack on the Dutch version of Windows Me?

I dont know if a dutch version was made, but you should look though here http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/61407-service-pack-for-windows-me/ . Also you should look at this post, which addresses an important issue with the Me service pack http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/61407-service-pack-for-windows-me/?p=840541 (not a bad issue, but 3 files are misplaced). Welcome to the club :thumbup

@Flasche: Thank you. If there is no Dutch version available, then I am going to install the English Serivce Pack on my Dutch installation of Windows Me.

Is Windows Update still working on Windows Me? If not, how can I get all the updates for Windows Me without Windows Update? Can I find them on www.mdgx.com? And are there any important unofficial updates that are recommended to install?

@Flasche: Thank you. If there is no Dutch version available, then I am going to install the English Serivce Pack on my Dutch installation of Windows Me.

Is Windows Update still working on Windows Me? If not, how can I get all the updates for Windows Me without Windows Update? Can I find them on www.mdgx.com? And are there any important unofficial updates that are recommended to install?

Unoffical pack should apply all offical patches. Alot of really nice unoffical patches can be found on www.mdgx.com , and here. I recomend that you get upx so you can get latest vlc (2.1.3).

Best you can have is Opera 12.02 with latest Flash.

Requirements: KernelEx and Kstub822 with an entry for the GdiAlphaBlend function in addition for Flash.

The only major change that Opera 12.1x has with 12.02 is that it needs psapi.dll. So copy that file to your system directory and I think Opera 12 (up to 12.16) should work fine.