Disable the Web key on keyboard

j7n

I have received a used Samsung R40 laptop. It has an additional function key on its keyboard with a symbol of "home", which is located next to the arrow keys. When this key is pressed, Internet Explorer opens, or a new tab in my real browser if it is already active. This also happens when a fullscreen application is focused.

How would I disable this function, because I don't find it useful, and often trigger it by accident when using the arrow keys. There are no OEM "launcher" applications running, therefore I conclude that it is part of Windows XP (SP3).

How would I disable this function, because I don't find it useful, and often trigger it by accident when using the arrow keys. There are no OEM "launcher" applications running, therefore I conclude that it is part of Windows XP (SP3).

I think it's more likely that it's part of the keyboard driver or chipset driver package that is specialized for that laptop, not part of XP itself.

Cheers and Regards

I've pulled out the Power key on desktop keyboards before. I'd rather not do that, to keep it looking good.

The operating system here is generic, looks reinstalled and tweaked for performance already. It's working well.

Windows sees a Standard 101/102-key PS/2 keyboard and ATI Xpress 1250 chipset.

? The "Home" key is set to open IE????

On a Standard PC Tower, standard Keyboard (what your Driver apparently is), mine (even in Explorer) goes to the Upper Left of any given Window. That's generally a "standard" and Home key means, well, GO HOME.

Odd that you have that set. I also note that following the above links indicate that it may be a "non-Standard" setting (note the reference to IntelliType software "controlling" the HotKeys). I also note installing certain Video Drivers (e.g. Intel) do this as well (spanky new "hotkeys"). Guess I'm just dumb?

? The "Home" key is set to open IE????

On a Standard PC Tower, standard Keyboard (what your Driver apparently is), mine (even in Explorer) goes to the Upper Left of any given Window. That's generally a "standard" and Home key means, well, GO HOME.

Odd that you have that set. I also note that following the above links indicate that it may be a "non-Standard" setting (note the reference to IntelliType software "controlling" the HotKeys). I also note installing certain Video Drivers (e.g. Intel) do this as well (spanky new "hotkeys"). Guess I'm just dumb?

The user has not set their country in their profile, it is possible they are using a different locale than en-US. Also Windows does not treat all keyboards the same. For example, using an Apple keyboard on XP also ends up having "odd" key press results on the non-Windows keys.

Yeah, I decided to "dig into" just a bit (never cared before) and also found this -

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/06/the-ultimate-guide-to-keyboard-remapping/

which indicates Keyboard Mapping in "CurrentControlSet" along with the corresponding ScanCodes (ref the note to ScanCodes above). Of course, this is different than assigning a Key to a given Function, as noted also above.

edit - and the above link provides several other alternative Keyboard Softwares in addition to the one noted.

Edited by submix8c

The keyboard key has a symbol of a house on it, and is called the Www Home key in the remapper. I do have the usual Home/End/PageUp/Down set on the QWERTY keyboard.

I deleted AppKey 7 and the key now does nothing. :thumbup:

Edit: Put the backslash there with KeyTweak. :w00t:

KeyTweak will potentially be useful to disable the power key. As I understand, it adjusts another mapping layer separate from language specific keyboard layouts. Because I don't have a Scancode Map at all now. It could potentially "fix" localized keyboards that have some keys switched around without editing each Windows layout in use. Good stuff.

I am currently well stocked up on PS/2 keyboards (which are getting obsolete) because they lacked the Power key. But at one point I used one where it was in the place of either Print Screen or Pause. It seems that KeyTweak could be used to make it Print Screen again. Nice. Here somebody is considering shooting his keyboard with a handgun to get rid of the sleep key.

I always get rid of hkcmd.exe in Intel drivers, and also the ati2evxx.exe service in ATI drivers.

Edited by j7n

JFYI, since you mentioned it, I have a PS/2 Keyboard I just swapped out (due to high usage and therefore letters worn to the point of indecipherable) that has additional Power/Sleep/Wake -plus- an "Fn" key on the upper right (Brand/Model? = TurboTrak). IOW, they do exist - you just have to find them.

I don't want to find keyboards with Sleep/Power, I wish to avoid them! Now, if those special, rarely used functions could be activated when the Fn is held down, that would make sense. And the Fn shouldn't get in the way.

The placement of Fn in this TurboTrak is fine. But the Sleep/Power keys make PgUp/PgDown Home/End (which I do use frequently) belong to a column of three keys, which aren't as easy to find by touch then.

I chose to put backslash there, because I'm used to the layout pictured here. The pipe/backslash key is above Ctrl, next to the arrow keys.

I chose to put backslash there, because I'm used to the layout pictured here. The pipe/backslash key is above Ctrl, next to the arrow keys.

It would seem that I use a yet another keyboard layout that is neither ANSI, nor ISO. I don't know what it is called. Getting good quality keyboards of this type is not possible any more. I therefore have a rather old worn unit.

Hmmm, wouldn't this do?

http://thatsportsgamer.com/tt-esports-meka-g-unit-keyboard-review/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, not to go 'round and 'round arguing, I think you misunderstood. You said

I am currently well stocked up on PS/2 keyboards (which are getting obsolete) because they lacked the Power key.
and I said
JFYI<snip>IOW, they do exist - you just have to find them.
Just For Your Information / In Other Words. And JFYI, the one you link to isn't the one I have - mine's a KB-9001E (on the sticker) and appears to be more like the KB-400i (says HQK BITS9001 on the plastic). And YES the DO only activate with the Fn Key. Here's a "generic" description of those keyboards (note that this describes symbols instead of keys, obviously for a different model). I have no clue wheter you have to have an actual Driver/Software, but I believe that it MAY be possible to set the Keys (again, reference ScanCodes and any "special" settings).

http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/keyboards/turbo-trakkeyboardat/turbo-trakkeyboard.htm

BTW, I didn't suggest you purchase THAT brand, just suggesting that they DO EXIST with a Power Key (you "misunderstood"). It's really up to you to find what you want (and jaclaz was kind enough to look for you too). ;)