bigmuscle

So one problem I'm having is that text glows in applications, but not for folders.

That's the fault of Explorer itself, and all the applications that have "tabbed" view (another is WordPad).  They use a different scheme for compositing elements than typical applications.

As I use dark backgrounds, I see it too.  I've just learned to live with it, because Explorer can be convinced (e.g., by Classic Shell) to put the path in its address bar.  So the path is not far from the top when you glance at the window.

I have heard that with certain non-Microsoft themes the glow can be restored in Explorer windows, though I'm not keen on replacing the theme programming myself so have little experience.  For me Aero Glass plus my own graphic theme atlas do as much as I need.

The biggest things I like about Aero Glass for Win 8 is that it helps make the client area of windows I'm working with easier to focus on (in that it helps make the too-bright chrome around every Windows 8 desktop window less intrusive), and it facilitates a theme atlas graphic library replacement, which can, among other things, be used to restore the drop shadows around desktop windows.

Lastly, it plays well with other tweaks available from 3rd party developers, e.g., Classic Shell, OldNewExplorer, Folder Options X, and bunches of others.

Oh, and I find it to be genuinely rock solid stable software.  A big THANK YOU to Big Muscle for hunting down all the bugs!

AGW81_05292014.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hello everyone!

So, thanks for the program, it's been working fine so far and I'm planning to donate as soon as I possible, but I have 2 questions:

First, Aero Glass doesn't work when I start up my computer unplugged. It works fine when it's plugged and when it's not it starts working as soon as I connect the power cord. After that, it keeps working just fine even if I unplug it, unless I restart DWM.exe I'd like it to be enabled regardless of if I start up with my power cord connectd or disconnected. I have already checked the registry editor and the DisableGlassOnBattery key IS set to 0.

My second question is about donations, but for what I've seen in the last posts they seem to be disabled for now and until BM gets a new hosting. Could you be more clear on this? Cuz all I have found at http://glass8.berlios.de/support.php are indications about how to donate, but not actual link to a paypal account or anything.

Edited by Miguel_S

I'd try sending a polite PM to Big Muscle, but I can't say whether he's granting requests for keys that way or not.  He may be simply overwhelmed given that the berlios server going offline.

-Noel

I have come to the conclusion Aero Glass for Win8.1 is not for me and will fail, because of the way it works, and because updates and support will not always be there. :}

So use it until you can't.  Live life better while you can.  Chances are Microsoft is going to screw things up in unimaginable proportions in the next version of Windows anyway (how can they keep calling it Windows?).  It'll likely make anything we do now - even without Aero Glass - feel like the golden days of yesteryear.

-Noel

It might help if you could make a screen video showing the effect

Here is a screenshot at least. I wouldn't mind the glow missing so much as the alignment jumping around every other directory.

Pf4oDN3.png

Thank you NoelC for the detailed description. So does everyone's text go out of alignment?

EDIT: I just realized the file you have highlighted, and whether it pops up one of those tabs like 'Picture Tools' is the culprit. I don't think vanilla 8.1 bumps the title over though.

Edited by Pixel Eater

Hello everyone!

So, thanks for the program, it's been working fine so far and I'm planning to donate as soon as I possible, but I have 2 questions:

First, Aero Glass doesn't work when I start up my computer unplugged. It works fine when it's plugged and when it's not it starts working as soon as I connect the power cord. After that, it keeps working just fine even if I unplug it, unless I restart DWM.exe I'd like it to be enabled regardless of if I start up with my power cord connectd or disconnected. I have already checked the registry editor and the DisableGlassOnBattery key IS set to 0.

My second question is about donations, but for what I've seen in the last posts they seem to be disabled for now and until BM gets a new hosting. Could you be more clear on this? Cuz all I have found at http://glass8.berlios.de/support.php are indications about how to donate, but not actual link to a paypal account or anything.

On your first question, go here: http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html , scroll done to the registry tweaks and look for the DisableGlassOnBattery DWord under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM. If you are running a fairly clean version on 8.1 Update 1, you may have to create a DWM key in the Windows key section. Then click on the DWM key and on the right create a new DWord and leave it on '0' to use glass on battery power.

As to the second question, bigmuscle posted this on this forum page above:

Generating keys is not currently possible because BerliOS developer website is being closed and it is not possible to connect to their database from the outside. I am going to buy external hosting for this software and will set it up there, just please be patient, it can take some time.

I have come to the conclusion Aero Glass for Win8.1 is not for me

Sorry to disappoint you but it is your millionth post where you are claiming that Aero Glass is not for you (or you won't be using it) but you are still here :whistle:

Sorry to disappoint you but it is your millionth post where you are claiming that Aero Glass is not for you (or you won't be using it) but you are still here :whistle:

If you read most of my posts it's to help and support the people you fail to help, and to test any changes aero glass has, so i can offer the right help. :lol:

DWMGlass.dll is an excellent project, but you fail this project on so many levels it will fail. :}

Edited by ace2

If you read most of my posts it's to help and support the people you fail to help, and to test any changes aero glass has, so i can offer the right help. :lol:

DWMGlass.dll is an excellent project, but you fail this project on so many levels it will fail. :}

Most people can find the help, as you have pointed to (as have I), if only they would READ bigmuscles's AeroGlass site. Most of what is needed is there on the guide page. Others that have had legitimate problems related to the software have always been helped.  

The fact that this forum is so long with a lot of whiners (not necessary meaning you) has most people not looking for the solutions by reading previous postings as well.

I can see BM's point in this. If it is your 'conclusion' that AeroGlass is not for you, then do not use it. Conclusion means 'an end' or 'summery'.

People will not see help in this kind of statement, only a perception that the software is not of any worth. This does not help advance the project, only hurt it. Stating it over and over with no 'conclusion' included as to why it is not for you will only confuse people and that is not 'help'. 

Wolfshadow

Why its not for ME ?

1.Vulnerable to MS updates.

2.Need / Vulnerable to MS Symbols.

3.Vulnerable to black screen of death (which can be a nightmare for some).

4.Donation system is a joke (NOT Clear).

5.Donation popup box.

5.Watermark.

6.Help and Support is a joke.

NOTES:
A solution to Backup and Replace working files before and after MS update, until DWMGlass.dll is updated.
Symbols not to be needed
Retail DWMGlass.dll and Price is needed
Trial DWMGlass.dll is needed without limitations for 30 days
Donation system made Clear / Understandable (Without word play / games)
Donation popup box is not needed
Watermark is not needed
Real Help and Support is needed

:lol:

Edited by ace2

you fail this project on so many levels it will fail. :}

No, I don't fail this project because it still goes in the path which has been specified in the beginning = utility which is done in free time mainly for private (education) purposes and for fun. Nothing more.

1.Vulnerable to MS updates.

Maybe, but not more than any other project which must rely on undocumented API.

2.Need / Vulnerable to MS Symbols.

No, it is not needed if user is using supported version of OS.

3.Vulnerable to black screen of death (which can be a nightmare for some).

The same as above, the software itself cannot cause black screen.

4.Donation system is a joke (NOT Clear).

The donation is just a donation - you want to donate, so you get PayPal address. Nothing more, nothing less.

6.Help and Support is a joke.

Mostly covered by Wolfshadow above: "The fact that this forum is so long with a lot of whiners (not necessary meaning you) has most people not looking for the solutions by reading previous postings as well."

I would like to thank you, bigmuscle, for the excellent work you put into this project.  I have read each, and every post in this forum from beginning to end, and find it very helpful.  Your software has NEVER caused ANY issues with my computer, and I keep it up-to-date.  I am running Windows 8.1 with every update that has ever been released.  I do NOT mind the pop-up or the watermark, and will continue to use it with both.  I would LOVE to donate, but my wife, and I are very poor.  I hope you understand.  Thank you again for all of your help, and hard work.

Hello everyone!

On your first question, go here: http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html , scroll done to the registry tweaks and look for the DisableGlassOnBattery DWord under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM. If you are running a fairly clean version on 8.1 Update 1, you may have to create a DWM key in the Windows key section. Then click on the DWM key and on the right create a new DWord and leave it on '0' to use glass on battery power.

As to the second question, bigmuscle posted this on this forum page above:

Generating keys is not currently possible because BerliOS developer website is being closed and it is not possible to connect to their database from the outside. I am going to buy external hosting for this software and will set it up there, just please be patient, it can take some time.

Thanks, but as I already said, I checked the registry and the key you mention is set to 0. I have tried reinstalling AG8 more than one time and setting the key to 1 and then back to 0, but nothing works.

Miguel_S: Although I have never seen such behaviour, according to your description above, it seems that your system does not provide power information correctly. And I must admit that I don't know the solution for this.