nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

nuhi

yro, which tool? Actually either way, no it's not dead. nLite will be updated eventually, and the new tool is progressing nicely.
If you meant the new one - as I already said, there is no point in releasing something for which I have list of bugs and tasks to do, which are obvious.
I want feedback, but I don't want to hear what I already know.

Patience, more time I spend here, later it will come out :)

trala, oh thanks. This is one of the features that is in todo. I know that big part of assembly is generated, and I wanted to see what can be trimmed pre-install out of it, let me know if there is more in .NET that can be recreated, even if we use runonce post install to ngen it or whatever.

nuhi, as far as the things I *know* regenerate, the NativeImages_v2 are the only ones. But more can be removed from the assembly subfolders but I don't think those things regenerate. But tests on additional stuff removed were kind of haphazard, as in, 'hey, it looks like stuff still works when I remove this' :) so it would require your expert eye to determine what is safe and what is not. But the NativeImages_v2 folders definitely can be removed as those fully regenerate. As you say, you could force a ngen post-install, but even if you don't the folder still get regenerated in idle time. It's easy to test in a VM; just take an image and mount it and remove the NativeImages_v2 folders, then save to iso and install in VM. Then let the install sit for a while and you'll see it will regenerate those folders fully. I think when you try to run an app requiring certain .net stuff, it may trigger the ngen also. But either way apps still work, even if the NI_v2 folders haven't regenerated yet. When I make fully updated Win7 images (I use sysprep for that) those NI_V2 folders get rather large. Recently when I removed them they were 600+mb combined on x64 Win7. So for an install.wim that can save 150mb easy, which is huge savings.

EDIT: I tested this just now, and the result is: No, we don't need the KB951376 hack for KB2862330.

Here is what I've done. I installed XP on a VirtualBox VM with the virtual USB controller explicitly disabled. On such system, only usb8023.sys driver is installed (but not loaded). The rest of these files are not installed at all (they reside in DRIVER.CAB and SP3.CAB so that users don't need to insert the XP CD when system needs the driver)

I've tried just the same thing and you are correct Explorer.

Just DISABLE USB during setup of XP and 2862330 will be installed correctly.

Good job E09. :D

@Nuhi

It would be nice when you would integrate the possibility to catch proggies which are packed as sfx-addons ! You know what I mean ?

Regards

P.S.

Looking forward for your new proggie for 7/8.1 !

• 2 weeks later...

So now is:

nLite doesn't support [HexEdit] sections in entries.ini uses in addons on ryavm forum. These patch addons are intended for the RyanVM Integator only.

addon example:http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274&highlight=patch+tcpip+sys

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2325&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Do you plan to change in this regard?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...