Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Hi all!

It seems to run now, but it keeps ignoring my CustomThemeResource registry key. I have downloaded the PDB symbols, which are recognized, as the log window shows:

DBGHELP: dwm - public symbolsC:\AeroGlass\symbols\dwm.pdb\34BE7E5FC12E4A8BB5DFBAC3D915A6872\dwm.pdb

(and the other one)

Then it says:

Atlas resource loading (custom: )

It seems that the path is not read at all (I would expect it to appear after "custom:"). I have tried setting it both in HKLM and in HKCU (SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CustomThemeResource set to "C:\AeroGlass\theme1.png").

Any tips?

Thank you in advance!

i am having a problem that started a few minutes ago with the RC2, aeroglass and effects are working perfectly, however it keeps popping up a box titled "Incompatibility issue" and asking to retry symbols downloading. no matter how many times i click Retry or Cancel the box keeps coming back. The last thing i did before it started doing that was used mrgrim's aeroglass configurator tool to change themeatlas files and reflection settings.

I'm curious... Does anyone here besides me run their system for long periods without rebooting?

My systems stay on 24/7 and regularly go weeks between reboots. Right now, the last install that required me to reboot was more than 6 days ago, for example.

SixDaysRunning.png

I'm wondering if the (very) occasional DWM restarts I'm seeing may be the result of a resource shortage after running it for a long time. I have had several more over the past days, and I finally did find something that didn't recover properly - Outlook 2013 didn't repaint its controls properly after one such DWM restart.

I'm not convinced it's BigMuscle's software that is causing these restarts, as there are never any error messages logged in the debug.log. I have installed a newer ATI Catalyst release (I'm now on 13.12) since having seen the first restarts under 13.9, and I've seen a few of them with 13.12 as well.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

That's good to know, Hancoque. Thanks. I am trying to figure out what else I use that can affect DWM in this way (though I'm not absolutely certain it's not a basic Windows problem). It only happens during monitor power-down conditions. Occasionally I do get an error message in the event log, but not always. The last one was on the 25th...

The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898008d)- System   - Provider    [ Name]  Desktop Window Manager   - EventID 9020    [ Qualifiers]  49152    Level 2    Task 0    Keywords 0x80000000000000   - TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]  2013-12-25T15:57:16.000000000Z    EventRecordID 7034    Channel Application    Computer NoelC4    Security  - EventData    0x8898008d 

Note that I'm not the only one who's ever seen that (an Internet search turns up a number of folks reporting 0x8898008d). Notably many/most are using ATI video interfaces.

I've even found one thread that claims disabling Aero Peek causes it.

Do you use an ATI or nVidia card (or other)?

-Noel

I use an NVIDIA card and never enabled peek in Windows 8. Normally I don't let the monitor shut off automatically or let the computer enter sleep mode. But I enabled both functions for a brief test and couldn't trigger any DWM restarts. So, maybe it's really an AMD driver issue.

So, maybe it's really an AMD driver issue

That's my current theory as well. There was a time not too long ago that AMD drivers would cause the screen to wake back up after it had gone off. They apparently have some trouble managing the power-down state.

The monitors are the only things I allow to be turned off, by the way.

In other news, BigMuscle and Ivo Beltchev (author of ClassicShell) have been communicating, and I've been contacted to test changes pursuant to my request to have ClassicShell better manage Taskbar transparency. Things are looking good for a future release of ClassicShell.

I feel I should once again express my sincere gratitude to folks like BigMuscle and Ivo who are paddling against the current in order to make Windows 8(.1) a more usable and pleasant product, despite MIcrosoft's efforts to "wean" us off serious computing and onto video games.

-Noel

In other news, BigMuscle and Ivo Beltchev (author of ClassicShell) have been communicating, and I've been contacted to test changes pursuant to my request to have ClassicShell better manage Taskbar transparency. Things are looking good for a future release of ClassicShell.

Well done NoelC and Thanks to BigMuscle for communicating with Ivo Beltchev.

What does license error 0x80090006 mean?

0x80090006 is an Windows error and means this:

C:\Users\André>err 0x80090006# for hex 0x80090006 / decimal -2146893818  NTE_BAD_SIGNATURE                                              winerror.h# Invalid Signature.# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_SSPI (0x9), Code 0x6# for hex 0x6 / decimal 6  ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE                                           winerror.h# The handle is invalid.# 2 matches found for "0x80090006"

have you tried to modify the license file?