IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - BUGS Only

xper

Hi,

First, thanks for the forum.

I have been active only in the Windows 8 section. Since I did not know about this thread, and also since the problems I'm having are specific to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8, I posted some problem reports over there.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171031-problems-with-this-forum-using-ie11/

You likely already know about these things, but for the convenience of those here, I'll repeat what I posted at the above link:

I've never managed to get a very good experience from this forum ever since moving to Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer version 11. I can read posts here just fine, but it's just difficult to edit...

Problems:

• The first problem is basic, really - I can't paste anything. It's surprising how much I rely on cut/copy/paste. You really notice when you can't do it. Not being able to do so really hobbles the user experience on a technical forum. Pasting in things like registry data, script code, etc. or even moving blocks of text from one place to another while composing a message are painful.
  • Another problem is that the quoting facility doesn't work. When I press the
    button, there's just an empty edit box. If I use the balloon icon, just an empty "Quote" box appears.

Workarounds:

Sure, there are some workarounds, but the need to be using workarounds seems to be going on kind of long. It's not like IE11 is newly released any more. Makes me wonder whether the forum software authors have a particular hatred for Internet Explorer 11...

• Drag and drop text from one place in the forum to another usually works. But after cutting text and finding out it won't paste somewhere else, one has to remember to use Control-Z to Undo the cut, then select/drag/drop. And you can't drag/drop from another window.
    • One CAN paste into a code box, then drag and drop out of that box and into the plain text area, then delete the code box - so that's actually an effective workaround, if a bit convoluted.
    • Sure, I have other browsers installed, and I could use them (having heard that they work on this site) but I'd prefer not to. I prefer to use IE for several reasons. This is not a fundamental "can't get there from here" kind of problem - just an irritation.

Thanks for your attention.

-Noel

The paste issue was the responsibility of the post editor (CKE) which is 3rd party to IPB. CKE supposedly has this issue fixed in the 4.3 version of their software. It was caused by (surprise) MS made some change to how IE is detected and instead of being detected as IE it showed up as something else. This I gather from reading but I'm not entirely certain.

Now to how to fix? While CKE has completed their fix and release the new version, Invision doesn't seem to have updated to it.

You can see Invision's bug tracker for this issue:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/internet-explorer-11-copy-paste-issue-r42941

When they release an update, then we can do the update here. Until then, you'll have to use another browser or not paste anything in IE11. :no:

Tripredacus said;

" While CKE has completed their fix and released the new version, Invision

doesn't seem to have updated to it. "

Yes, that is unclear - that webpage you referenced contained a further link;

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/395212-any-plans-to-make-editor-in-ipbiard-34-series-ie11-compatible/?p=244135

that could have clarified this - but that link is not accessible to the general

public or IPS members (such as yourself) - only to +client account holders

such as Xper or Tarun...

Whatever the fix(es) are that Invision have suggested to allow full

workability with IE11, there is hope that they apply to an IP.Board ver 3.4.6

- look at this Boards posts (page 2 and 3);

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12372-problems-with-internet-explorer/page-2

(Incidently, I believe MSFN is currently using CK Editor ver 3.6.6 .)

Edited by buyerninety

• 2 months later...

I am once again not receiving e-mail notifications of new posts in threads I'm subscribed to. The most recent notification I received was on Wednesday this week, and I've seen newer posts in at least one of my subscribed threads, but only by accident (which is why I prefer to get the notifications).

There have been no changes to my account, at least none made by me. Could this have to do with any internal measures taken by MSFN to protect against the Harttbleed bug?

I have since then changed my password.

--JorgeA

P.S. Just to make sure there's no confusion: I changed my password AFTER realizing that the notifications had stopped.

Edited by JorgeA

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an

email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Yes, my settings are to receive immediate notifications via e-mail. That hasn't changed. The only difference is that the e-mail notifications are no longer arriving, for whatever reason.

I logged out of MSFN and cleared my browser cookies yesterday. Still no notifications today (and posts have been made in threads that I subscribe to).

Any ideas/suggestions?

--JorgeA

Regarding notifications I just tested through mail checker few members mail addresses and they didn't received it. Checked server mail logs and mails are delivered properly. So it seems that something else is going on here either your ISP or something else blocking mails. My suggestion will be to try another mail address and see if that works.

Regarding notifications I just tested through mail checker few members mail addresses and they didn't received it. Checked server mail logs and mails are delivered properly.

When I worked for an ISP, we used to use a metaphor that the mail exchangers were like one of those fish traps. You know the type where the fish goes in but can't get out, even though you (as a human) can look and see how you could get out? So emails getting stuck in the mail exchanger probably was never actually what was happening, but that didn't stop us from telling people that. :D

I am once again not receiving e-mail notifications of new posts in threads I'm subscribed to. The most recent notification I received was on Wednesday this week, and I've seen newer posts in at least one of my subscribed threads, but only by accident (which is why I prefer to get the notifications).

There have been no changes to my account, at least none made by me. Could this have to do with any internal measures taken by MSFN to protect against the Harttbleed bug?

I have since then changed my password.

--JorgeA

P.S. Just to make sure there's no confusion: I changed my password AFTER realizing that the notifications had stopped.

2014-04-25 16:11:31 1Wdgqh-0001uG-A5 <= nobody@athena.msfn.org U=nobody P=local S=953 id=2ce9a7dca7142004341c2ff6c86a40f5@www.msfn.org T="IP.Board Email Test" for p******ght.now@verizon.net

2014-04-25 16:11:31 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1Wdgqh-0001uG-A5

2014-04-25 16:11:31 1Wdgqh-0001uG-A5 ** p*******ght.now@verizon.net R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host relay.verizon.net [206.46.232.11]: 571 Email from 74.86.3**.*** is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam system. The email sender or Email Service Provider may visit http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block.

We are not registered in any spam database.

Can you translate what Verizon told you there, into a European language? :)

Two questions:

1. Will you have to contact Verizon?
  2. Is there anything I can do at my end to help with the process?

--JorgeA