IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - BUGS Only

xper

There's a lot of stuff going on out there in life and many different things vying for one's attention (spouse, work, family, TV, ...)[1], so it helps a lot to get those notices.

Missing footnote ;):

[1]order of priorities kindly provided by JorgeA's wife.

jaclaz

I also disable ALL email notifications.  ( I get enough emails, thank you very much. )  Instead, I always enter the site via the "View New Content" link.  You can set up your preferences to display "By time period", with several options, and threads that have new content since you last read that thread will show up in Bold, so it's really easy to quickly visually scan and see if there is new content you want to read.  This works well if you want to "monitor" the whole board and not miss new posts, and I would imagine that it would be even easier if you were really only interested in making sure you kept up with a subset of the total number of threads.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, bphlpt.

I see what you mean about the filter preferences. I wasn't aware of this function, but it could be really useful.

Still, though, it means having to actively remember to go in and look; see my reply to Trip above.

--JorgeA

There's a lot of stuff going on out there in life and many different things vying for one's attention (spouse, work, family, TV, ...)[1], so it helps a lot to get those notices.

Missing footnote ;):

[1]order of priorities kindly provided by JorgeA's wife.

jaclaz

LOL -- you got it exactly right! :)

--JorgeA

If you haven't changed anything at your end and I haven't changed anything at my end, what else could be causing this change in the outcome (no e-mail notifications)? :unsure:

Is there any way for you to determine whether the notifications are being sent out to me?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

If you haven't changed anything at your end and I haven't changed anything at my end, what else could be causing this change in the outcome (no e-mail notifications)? :unsure:

congratulations-graduate-eleven-reasons-

jaclaz

congratulations-graduate-eleven-reasons-

jaclaz

I will take a look asap.

I also disable ALL email notifications.  ( I get enough emails, thank you very much. )  Instead, I always enter the site via the "View New Content" link.  You can set up your preferences to display "By time period", with several options, and threads that have new content since you last read that thread will show up in Bold, so it's really easy to quickly visually scan and see if there is new content you want to read.  This works well if you want to "monitor" the whole board and not miss new posts, and I would imagine that it would be even easier if you were really only interested in making sure you kept up with a subset of the total number of threads.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, bphlpt.

I see what you mean about the filter preferences. I wasn't aware of this function, but it could be really useful.

Still, though, it means having to actively remember to go in and look; see my reply to Trip above.

--JorgeA

Also note the filter options on the left under "Other":

So if you pick "Items I participated in" or "Just items I follow" then you won't see the threads that you have no interest in.

I understand you only wanting to come to the board if there have been responses to what you have posted, and then only if you are not otherwise involved with other more important things, but I view having to read emails that same way.  I only want to read emails when I choose, not feel pressured to look at them just because something sends me a notification. :)  Everyone has their own preference on how they like to do things.  That's the advantage of having multiple ways of accomplishing a goal.  I hope your preferred method gets fixed so it works the way you want it to work.

Cheers and Regards

Me, too! :)

I played with the filter as you suggested. By selecting both "items I participated in" and "just items I follow," it seems to do the trick. Thanks!

Another way I discovered was to click on the notifications bell that sits between the user name and "sign out" at the top of the page, then click on "view all notifications." The resulting page (in "My control panel --> Settings --> My notifications") seems to give the list of posts for which notifications would normally be getting e-mailed. One could bookmark that page. Or if I go there directly enough times, then it'll start showing up in the list of most popular sites when I open a new browser tab. :yes:  In fact that's how I get to MSFN most of the time now when not simply responding to an e-mail notification: I use the Taskbar jumplist or open a new tab and click on the MSFN thumbnail.

If e-mail notifications never got fixed, a workaround of sorts would then be to set up a reminder in Outlook to check every so often in "View new content" or "My notifications." There are some forums where I forget to visit for literally months at a time. I did say life had a lot of distractions but I wouldn't want MSFN to suffer that same fate.  ;)

--JorgeA

• 6 months later...

E-mail notifications have suddenly started arriving again today.

@xper, did you do anything to the Forum in the last few days that could have affected e-mail notifications? Whatever it is, it worked! :)

--JorgeA

• xper unpinned this topic