Your Favorite Themes for Windows 8

DosProbie

Nice!, What installer did you use?

I use Actual Installer  a nice cheap alternative to installsheild that gets the job done. Its a very powerful little program. It allows me to include everything needed to get the theme working minus the patch system part. Try its free trial out to see what I mean :P

xXiNightXx, on 26 Aug 2014 - 8:13 PM, said:

I use Actual Installer  a nice cheap alternative to installsheild that gets the job done. Its a very powerful little program. It allows me to include everything needed to get the theme working minus the patch system part. Try its free trial out to see what I mean :P

Thanks for the Info, will go check it out..

~DP

Edited by DosProbie

Ptd163, yes, that's the factory default theme plus Aero Glass for Win 8.1 plus my own theme atlas.

Save for a small change to make light characters on a dark "glow", it is available on BigMuscle's download site.

Here's a version that puts up a dark background "glow" behind title text, in case you like the light characters on dark background look.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/themeatlas.png

And yes, that's BigMuscle's own beta GUI application to modify Aero Glass parameters pictured in my screen grab, also available from his download site, and with which I changed the caption text color to white as shown.

-Noel

Could possibly give me a tutorial/howto on how you made the theme look your screenshot? I have all the pieces, but this is one part of Windows I'm not very good with.

New updates to Windows Aero theme for windows 8.1 Update 1.

Dowload: http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Aero-478224917

When a window's view setting is Details why is it that the column it is sorted by is always coloured? It's not like that in Windows 7. And why when I have the details pane enabled with OldNewExplorer do they wipe in like PowerPoint transition? Why couldn't you leave them static like they are in Windows 7?

Edit: I've now discovered that Program & Features now wipes in as well.

Edit 2: The theme absolutely does not like being recorded. Screen tearing galore.

Edited by ptd163

Cant believe I missed that details view section XD  All of these that you typed have been fixed along with other improvements to the theme. Thanks for letting me know. The files are now available to download from my page.  (I have included zip for people who prefer not to use exe as well.)

As for the screen recording, what application are you using? It may be related to your graphics card/diver software.

When a window's view setting is Details why is it that the column it is sorted by is always coloured? It's not like that in Windows 7. And why when I have the details pane enabled with OldNewExplorer do they wipe in like PowerPoint transition? Why couldn't you leave them static like they are in Windows 7?

Edit: I've now discovered that Program & Features now wipes in as well.

Edit 2: The theme absolutely does not like being recorded. Screen tearing galore.

Edited by xXiNightXx

I was using Camtasia Studio and HyperCam 3. They both had lots screen tearing when setting up an area to record. Camtasia results in a black screen and HyperCam 3 was much slower than real time.

The way I found out about the screen tearing was because I was trying record the screen and make an animated gif to show you in case you didn't quite understand what I meant by "wiping".

I would test more screen recorders for you, but I unfortunately I only know of those two.

Also if this was fixed in your "other improvements" ignore this. With SIB+ installed and using the Windows 7 orb, it's "mouse-over" and "clicked" colours aren't seamless like in the actual Windows 7 Aero theme. I'm not sure if that's the theme or the orb causing that.

Edited by ptd163

That definitely an aero glass or diver issue... I am able to use camtasia on my system fine. see :P  

http://youtu.be/r5y0TsgRqUs

for the start menu. GO into sib and make sure you turn transparency off for taskbar/menu.

I was using Camtasia Studio and HyperCam 3. They both had lots screen tearing when setting up an area to record. Camtasia results in a black screen and HyperCam 3 was much slower than real time.

The way I found out about the screen tearing was because I was trying record the screen and make an animated gif to show you in case you didn't quite understand what I meant by "wiping".

I would test more screen recorders for you, but I unfortunately I only know of those two.

Also if this was fixed in your "other improvements" ignore this. With SIB+ installed and using the Windows 7 orb, it's "mouse-over" and "clicked" colours aren't seamless like in the actual Windows 7 Aero theme. I'm not sure if that's the theme or the orb causing that.

Edited by xXiNightXx

• 5 weeks later...

windows_aero_by_xxinightxx-d7wq0ph.png

Could you please point me to the pic number that display desktop (the one at the bottom-right corner)

I want to change it for C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\aero.msstyles using Resource Hacker, to be much visible.

I actually don't know where in resource hacker since I use Windows Style Builder. The showdesktop button is located on the taskabar image due to it not being visible on windows 8. Because of this, the showdesktop graphic cannot be enlarged any further than what its size is. Doing so will cause the clock section to mess up.

Could you please point me to the pic number that display desktop (the one at the bottom-right corner)

I want to change it for C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\aero.msstyles using Resource Hacker, to be much visible.

• 2 weeks later...

longhorn_evolution_8_1_s_much_needed_upd

(Click Image to see in full view)

Longhorn Evolution theme for Windows 8.1 finally gets updated. With a new Details Pane Image, and a new Control Panel Navigation Image to match and maybe still more to come. Progress bars haven't been imported just yet.

Edited by DoubleSAnimations

xXiNightXx, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Windows RP for Windows 10 Technical Preview

Download

windows_rp__windows_10_technical_preview

Thanks for your effort xXiNightXx, although windows 10 or maybe MS going to name 11 at release, is still underground.

I have Windows Style Builder 1.5.4.6 beta and OldNewExplorer 1.1 , I'd like to know how to make this picture like in your Windows Aero theme for windows 8.1 Update 1:

yXUCrJs.png

longhorn_evolution_8_1_s_much_needed_upd

(Click Image to see in full view)

Longhorn Evolution theme for Windows 8.1 finally gets updated. With a new Details Pane Image, and a new Control Panel Navigation Image to match and maybe still more to come. Progress bars haven't been imported just yet.

That looks really great, looking forward to it! :thumbup