Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

However, if you could fix that problem, then, UXThemes add things like Text glow, and textures very easily!

Yeah, text glow effect is just a part of aero theme resource. The problem is when I simply copy the glow glyph from RP to RTM (and enable new image in my utility), the glow appears but it seems that it ignores its alpha channel. Although image contains alpha channel and shaders and blend states are same as in RP. Will be more work than I thought :w00t:

I managed to import the Windows 7 theme and also messed with some of the images to bring back a glow effect on the caption buttons, the default Windows 7 theme is so ugly though lol

hrismo.jpg

Is anybody here who has experience with uxtheme/msstyles? I am trying to implement feature which allows to set theme resource without msstyle patching (including caption glow effect) but I am probably missing something :-)

Can't help directly but what about Uxstyle -it's an executable that allows you to use msstyles without actually patching any system files. The author of that appears to hang out at http://forums.mydigi...experimental%29 so it might even be worth having a chat with him to see if he'd be willing to let you implement whatever method he's used.

Oh, I've used UXThemer, and it does mod dll files, but can allow custom themes to load. UXStyler mods system files but has an easy to use UI. However, the patch is not perfect and clashes with many Windows 8 updates. And can clash with Windows 8 if uninstalled too. (On boot there is no displayed graphics if there is a clash. None at all, but monitors might phase in and out of sleep).

However, if you could fix that problem, then, UXThemes add things like Text glow, and textures very easily!

So wait - You are saying that UXStyle will clash with Windows 8 because it modifies system files, and when it does, the system will be unbootable?:o

Some Windows 8 updates can cause problems. Not every update, of course. What is also stranger than that is, unpatching the system for uninstall of the UX Patch can cause the exact same problems. Last time I used any variation of UXTheme (a few weeks before finding this DWM mod), 3 days in a row an update came that broke the system, which is when I decided it was not worth the effort, even if I hate the base Windows 8 borders.

(Thank goodness for this mod!!! I love how it looks)

Edit: So yes, UXStyle can cause a system to become unbootable. System restore points are very important :)

So, then what the heck is the point of UxStyle? I thought that the point was that it doesn't modify system files.

I have been using this on my windows 8 laptop. So it breaks Windows when I uninstall this? What happens if I boot up and I get a black screen? Is my computer done?

I would recommend creating a backup usb disk or DVD, if your computer did not come with one. But I had no problem getting to recovery an unclean way (by powering off during boot - it reboots next time to a recovery mode).

Not everyone gets the problem when uninstalling a UX Patch. I am just one of those unlucky people who gets it every time I trued to uninstall.

I never got any black screen with UxStyle when I uninstalled it, but some Windows updates can break it. Happened to me one time when a lot of updates were released.

I apologize for offtopic ;)

BTW this looks lovely with this theme :D

Yes happened to me on several occasions. I wish that it would just default to system themes like it used to in XP, but, no - I guess MS want us to feel pain when moding our installations xD.

(Oh that theme looks great - I will try it if there is ever a stable (for me) UX Patch! :) )

Yeah, text glow effect is just a part of aero theme resource. The problem is when I simply copy the glow glyph from RP to RTM (and enable new image in my utility), the glow appears but it seems that it ignores its alpha channel. Although image contains alpha channel and shaders and blend states are same as in RP. Will be more work than I thought :w00t:

Well, I trust whatever solution you come to will be the best possible. And I guess it will be rewarding to crack that nut :D

Oh, not sure if its important but 3DMark 2013 has an unusual effect on its title bar. Its like its covering several copies of its own frame. (hint of transparency and colour bleeding - but its just one application so maybe not that important). However, this is not showing up in screenshots.

There are weird artifacts when you use the Windows 7 theme with aero glass. I don't know why exactly, but I think it has something to do with the way the visual styles gets rounded thumbnail borders. Very good visual style by the way. DWM hook always crashes eventually, but sometimes it stays up with visual artifacts long enough to take a screenshot, so I did. It sure looks trippy.

post-373773-0-54734700-1362784220_thumb.

I managed to import the Windows 7 theme and also messed with some of the images to bring back a glow effect on the caption buttons, the default Windows 7 theme is so ugly though lol

hrismo.jpg

WOAH! What theme is that! so cool.

There are weird artifacts when you use the Windows 7 theme with aero glass. I don't know why exactly, but I think it has something to do with the way the visual styles gets rounded thumbnail borders. Very good visual style by the way. DWM hook always crashes eventually, but sometimes it stays up with visual artifacts long enough to take a screenshot, so I did. It sure looks trippy.

Is that the windows 7 theme made by http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112?? If not can you send a link? That looks awesome (Except for the giltch)

Is that the windows 7 theme made by http://xxinightxx.de...V-D-350491112?? If not can you send a link? That looks awesome (Except for the giltch)

It's the theme mentioned earlier in this post in a link. Scroll around a bit on page 25 and you will find it.

Is that the windows 7 theme made by http://xxinightxx.de...V-D-350491112?? If not can you send a link? That looks awesome (Except for the giltch)

It's the theme mentioned earlier in this post in a link. Scroll around a bit on page 25 and you will find it.

ok thanks.

[NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL DONT WORRY BIGMUSCLE!]I have a problem with minecraft, it runs at the same FPS but when I look side to side it laggs when I enable aero on it. Yes it is the newest preview, if anyone knows why i am lagging tell me but its ok its not to annoying thanks in advance -Hydro [NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL DONT WORRY BIGMUSCLE!]

Saludos, me acabo de unir al foro ya que es precisamente esta característica la que estaba esperandola que sacaran, no creo poder apoyar mucho ya que no tengo W8 de 64 bits ni experiencia en el tema, pero tengo uno de 32 así que esperare a que desarrolles la versión de 32 para calarlo, gracias bigmuscle por todo su esfuerzo y empeño... :thumbup

Por cierto hace poco cale en una maquina de 64 bits la v0.4 y con lo de la clave de registro DeviceFeatureLevel a 9300, 9200, y 9100, y no paso nada, sin Aero... :(

Esta tenia una tarjeta gráfica nvidia y un procesador amd de doble nucleo...

Greetings, I just joined the forum and it is precisely this characteristic that was waiting to take out, I might not support a lot since I don't have 64-bit W8 or experience in the subject, but I have a 32bits W8 so I will wait to you develop the 32 to tray, thanks for all your effort and commitment BigMuscle... :thumbup

Incidentally a bit ago I gave a try at a 64 bit machine with the v0.4 and the registry key DeviceFeatureLevel to 9300, 9200, and 9100, and nothing happened, no Aero ... :(

This had a nvidia graphics card and an AMD dual core ...

Run the program from the disk D. After starting at the root file appears debug.log.

Contains these lines:

Installing DWM hook...

DWM: 0xE4, error = 0

Module: D:\Soft\WinTools\x_Tweak\DWM\DWMHook.dll

RemoteDLLName: 0xB0C00000

WriteProcessMemory: 1, error 0

LoadLibrary: 0x16FF28AC

CreateRemoteThread: 0xF0 error 0

Version 0.3 works.

Tested 0.4 - does not work. Log-file contains Attachments.

debug.zip

Rolled back to 0.3

Set the minimum number of programs:

Microsoft Office Pro 2013, Visual C 2010 x32, Microsoft Direct X 9.

Good luck!

--

Google Translite Ru -> En

Edited by KanumaH

AERO GLASS PREVIEW 5

Another experimental preview is here!

What's new:

* default device feature level is set to 9.1 until correct solution is found

* experimental blur behind taskbar (GlassTransparency settings is not applied to it!!!)

* added possibility to set own theme resource (requires bitmap with non-premultiplied alpha)

* using screen size instead of virtual screen size on some places (does this affect multimonitor configuration???)

* decreased interval for setting layered windows to 250 ms

* settings moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied on DWM startup, so dwm.exe restart is needed on change)

DisableLogging (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables verbose logging into debug.log file (default = 0)

DeviceFeatureLevel (DWORD) - Direct3D version which should be used for DWM rendering (default = 0x9100)

BypassLayeredWindowsRendering (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables alpha blending of layered windows with alpha value of 254 (default = 1)

UseDirect2DRendering (DWORD) - 0 = use Direct3D mode, 1 = use Direct2D mode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied when colorization settings is changed - e.g. in control panel)

BlurDeviation (DWORD) - the amount of blur to be applied. Set to 0 to disable blur effect completely (default = 30)

GlassTransparency (DWORD) - value of alpha component (0-255) which will be applied to the glass, has no effect on taskbar (default in D3D = 64, in D2D = 175).

CustomThemeResource (STRING) - path to PNG file with theme resource (bitmap must have exactly the same layout as msstyle theme you are using!)

ColorizationBlurBalanceInactive

ColorizationAfterglowInactive

ColorizationColorInactive

ColorizationAfterglowBalanceInactive

ColorizationColorBalanceInactive

http://prdownload.berlios.de/glass8/DWMHook05.7z