Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

I don't think this can be implemented in any application, because it is just a DLL which is loaded into dwm.exe process ;-)

I will also try whether AppInit_DLL thing works on Windows 8 for dwm.exe, this would be the best solution!

You may try as well injecting into winlogon and catching dwm.exe starting, injecting your DLL by the way. Or hijack some system CLSIDs which dwm uses, but that won't be much better than system file patching.

Also, when writing AppInit_DLL, make sure it does not link directly to user32.dll or libraries using it, otherwise it may fail to initialize (that was true in 2000 times).

Edited by Tihiy

It brings one main advantage. New fuctionality is added just by loading DLL and removed by its unloading. If you replace system file, then the only possibility is restoring the original file which does not have to be so easy to do it on-the-fly. Also, if you create some bug (e.g. crash) then injecting method only causes the restart of the process but file-patching method can kill whole system (and it took me really long time to force system to go into recovery options at boot).

If you kill the exe, the suer is logged off :(

Nice Freudian slip! :thumbup At least it points to how many of us feel about Microsoft taking out glass!

Edited by trala

So I've just followed this from a MDL post, this is quite awesome I didn't think we would ever see the aero glass back.

I for would like to say to bigmuscle Congrats on bringing the Aero Glass back!.

But I have one question. Will this be able to be used on 32 Bit systems? or will it some how be limited to 64 Bit systems?.

Edited by Linktopower

Linktopower: I develop it on x64 system, but it should not be the problem to build 32bit library. I will post it with the preview version but can't ensure it will work.

Ah, okay thanks for telling me. Alright then I'll be looking out for it when ever you post the the preview version.

Anyways keep up the good work will you. ;)

I have updated the first post with link to download preview version. Be aware that it is preview only and has been compiled for 64-bit system (32-bit version will come later). Tested under VMWare.

It may contain many bugs. It has not been optimized at all. I have not cared about unused resources cleanup etc. It has not been tested much, it is just a "hey, it works!" :-)

Edited by bigmuscle

for me it doesn't work under VMware. The screen gets black after starting the launcher. I think is it related to the RP Theme which I'm using in the RTM.

// edit

also doesn't work with the RTM theme. This time I also got a blackscreen and 1s later I'm at the login screen. There is no log file created.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

This time I also got a blackscreen and 1s later I'm at the login screen. There is no log file created.

I guess it is the problem we were talking about that you was logged off when dwm is killed (it's what the loader does). Could you try disabling your video adapter in Device Manager before launching the loader?