Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

I've noticed that since i last installed some WIndows updates, the aero doesn't work anymore.

I have a windows 8 X86 with the version 094.

Do you you have RC4? It should automatically download the symbols when MS changes something.

I've noticed that since i last installed some WIndows updates, the aero doesn't work anymore.

I have a windows 8 X86 with the version 094.

Do you you have RC4? It should automatically download the symbols when MS changes something.

Since the chart on the downloads page indicates that version 0.94 is RC3, then he in fact does not have RC4.

What will exactly be in the final version if the current one works perfectly?

The main disadvantage of all builds is that they were compiled as debug with all optimizations disabled and many debugging operations enabled.

I think that more people would be interested and/or able to use your mod if you used another method than AppInit_DLL...

Is there a reason why you stick to this frowned upon method?

Last I checked, a signature by Microsoft is only 100 USD.

Edited by Tarzikaf

I think that more people would be interested and/or able to use your mod if you used another method than AppInit_DLL...

Is there a reason why you stick to this frowned upon method?

Last I checked, a signature by Microsoft is only 100 USD.

>only 100 USD

So...someone's gonna buy that for him or does he have to cough that up himself? I guess if you donated...

100$ is cheap for a signature that runs on every machine you put the thing on. there's some decoders that are 1500$ per year.

Given bigmuscle's knowledge, I'm sure he can manage to afford it, given the time he's been working on this project, 10 bucks a month would do it.

While I like the efforts put into this, and the promising results, I struggle to understand why someone can think about releasing a product using appInit_DLL... Especially if the said product might be a paid one.

As far as I know, Stardock did it too, and they're using signed binaries.

But eh. I'm just saying what I think. this is a forum, right? Forums are made to talk and share opinions.

Edited by Tarzikaf

One issue I see when Aero Glass goes lives is the AppInit_DLLs infrastructure is disabled when secure boot is enabled and your non tech end users are not either going to know how to disable secure boot or just dont pay attention to the install notes on this...BigMuscle did say he would "get rid of AppInit_DLLs completely" if you look at his quote on Post #283 http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162036-aero-glass-tweaker-gui-for-win8-v132/page-12

100$ is cheap for a signature that runs on every machine you put the thing on. [..] Especially if the said product might be a paid one.

As far as I know, Stardock did it too, and they're using signed binaries.

bigmuscle has never said or even directly implied that he plans to charge for his app. Stardock, as a for profit corporation with many non-free apps, including the one you refer to, of course can well afford the signature fee.

And of course you are implying that getting a signature will magically fix bigmuscle's app so that everyone will be able to run the app on their system with no more problems of any kind, and I doubt very seriously that that is the case. :)

Cheers and Regards

I have tested the latest version and it really seems that one of the latest windows update has caused some trouble with all versions on Aero Glass.

If you need any log of information, don't hesitate to ask me.

post-377943-0-19308900-1374486470_thumb.

I have tested the latest version and it really seems that one of the latest windows update has caused some trouble with all versions on Aero Glass.

If you need any log of information, don't hesitate to ask me.

We Keep reading on here how "One" of the Wds undates is causing problems with AeroGlass but has anyone as of yet identified which .msu is the culpirt so maybe we could put it on the blacklist? DP

But there is no update which makes problems with Aero Glass. It's not fault of WU that your computer blocks connections to download public symbols to identify demanded functions in DWM libraries.

But there is no update which makes problems with Aero Glass. It's not fault of WU that your computer blocks connections to download public symbols to identify demanded functions in DWM libraries.

So if you have network connection issues or blocking of public symbols from a over aggressive firewall\virus app then you will have DWM AeroGlass problem?