Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC3

* implemented public symbols downloading from MS symbol servers

--> this allows automatic adjusting when DWM version changes

--> it is not currently used, it is only to test whether symbols downloading works

--> requires internet connection

--> currently enabled by default but if it brings some problems or you don't want Aero Glass to connect to MS servers you can disabled it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:EnableSymbolServer (DWORD 0x0 to disable, 0x1 to enable)

* implemented shader render target optimization

--> this works only on some video drivers

--> it takes less memory and increase speed of blurring as it avoids copying screen content to the intermediate buffer

--> disabled by default

--> it can be enabled in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:OptimizeShaderResource (DWORD 0x0 to disable / 0x1 to enable)

* implemented feature to enable using custom Windows themes

--> independent from UX DLLs versions

--> it has not been tested at all so it is currently only a candidate for future feature

* workaround to correctly refresh inactive frame color when colorization settings is changed

* some small bug fixes

--> THIS IS THE TEST VERSION, THUS IT LIMITS ITS REGULAR USAGE BY DISPLAYING WARNING MESSAGE PERIODICALLY. DO NOT ASK HOW TO REMOVE THIS MESSAGE !!!

--> THIS IS THE TESTING VERSION INTENDED FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE !!!

https://developer.berlios.de/project/filelist.php?group_id=13124

Edited by bigmuscle

Got RC3 running so far. I tried the optimizeshaderresource and came to find that the taskbar on my second monitor was showing what was on the first monitor but it was blurred as if a second taskbar was behind it with the icons.

Also, in the titlebar of applications, I was seeing what looked like another window behind them. Here's a screenshot...

http://puu.sh/3c0n4.png

Notice the titlebars of the windows and the taskbar on the second monitor (on the right).

Disabling "OptimizeShaderResource" fixes the issue.

Another great update mate, tested with both new features on, had a look at the debug log and looks like it is working the way you wanted.

I haven't tested heaps of programs, tested changing themes opening multiple windows moving multiple windows, a log off and a restart, tested it still plays nice with SIB and the desktop gadgets window, hopefully a short and sweet debug log for you to look through, only bug I still noticed is the delay on the explorer JumpList, it still takes about 2-3 seconds to open fully to see the most recent list.

Here is my debug log.

debug.zip

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC3

Outstanding! Works great (as before) and now the blur quality appears to have improved visually somewhat. Before, could cause things that were blurred to become oversaturated. Now it seems more natural.

And what a great idea to load the symbols from Microsoft to get the locations of things to tweak in future versions. I hope they don't make fundamental changes that break the concept, but I have my worries about 8.1.

OptimizeShaderResource appears to work fine here, with VMware version 9.0.2's svga driver with the host running ATI Radeon HD 7850.

Debug.log from RC3: http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/debug.log

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Here's a quick debug log for RC3, tried it first without enabling shader render optimization and then enabled. Couple of restarts and change in colorization settings. Working really fine till now, can see a little better performance than the previous RC. Will also provide debug for dual monitors later.

intel HD 3000

BTW, which all video cards are supported for shader render optimization, discrete or integrated?

OK on a different note and hopefully something Useful .. I Was looking for a Easy way to toggle DWM Aero Glass On and Off quickly so I wrote this little batch file, just run it from your desktop when you need a quick way to disable aero (like playing games, for all the whinners with the popups etc.) and when done you can just rerun to turn aero back on again, It Works off *DWM directory in C drive but you can always revise the path as needed..

Enjoy DPyes.gifToggle Aero

*Requires DimasKid's Aero Glass installer @ http://j.gs/706437/aeroglasswin8

Sir I installed aero glass installer could not able to get aero effect though. I tried OP's links earlier. I do not know much about how to apply it. But I have been trying to make it for a couple hours. I watched videos, searched web. Still could not figured it out. What should I do ? I want it so bad :))) I can give my teamviewer id and pass as well

Edited by stevefrancisnyk

Sir I installed aero glass installer could not able to get aero effect though. I tried OP's links earlier. I do not know much about how to apply it. But I have been trying to make it for a couple hours. I watched videos, searched web. Still could not figured it out. What should I do ? I want it so bad :))) I can give my teamviewer id and pass as well

THIS IS THE TESTING VERSION INTENDED FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE !!!

tl;dr: wait for final version.

THIS IS THE TESTING VERSION INTENDED FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE !!!

tl;dr: wait for final version.

ok but there is nothing complicated about the setup.exe you just hit next. sorry for inconvenient. I just want it so bad. When will be the final version release date then?