Win8PE SE

ChrisR

Win8PESE800x600.jpg

Win8PE SE Downloads Page

Download Server w8pese.cwcodes.net

Win8PE SE Home Page and project index

Make and boot from a Win8PE_SE ISO file Tutorials, How To's and Guides by Steve, RMPrepUSB.

Win8PE SE project is based on PE4 environment and will use a Windows 8 (SP0) x86 or x64 DVD.

It is better (recommended) to have the DVD copied in a folder on your hard drive.

Win8PE SE is Based on the experienced organisation and reliability of Win7PE SE. It comes as a base with only a minimal of applications.

Take pleasure to personalize it and to add your components and applications.

Link to TechNet Evaluation Center Previous Versions and choose Windows 8 enterprise

Or direct link to Windows 8 enterprise evaluation for developers

Some advantages of Windows 8 and Win8PE SE:

Windows 8 Increased hardware compatibility.

Support of UEFI Unified Extensible Firmware Interface and high-speed SSD hard disk.

Native support of USB3.0

Win8PESE uses the very good Ex7ForW8 (Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8). Thank you Tihiy for this nice work :thumbup

Transparency is enabled on the Aero theme.

For the shell loader, You can choose between the great PEShell swapper and the famous Chinese Pecmd.

In PostConfig script, you have the ability to create Win8PE SE image in another folder.

This will keep the Target folder untouched.

With the following advantages:

The small green button on scripts remains always operational.

No problem on editing hives.

Really usefull, you can add, edit, customize the target.

Simply recreate the new target image and Iso smile.gif

Only disadvantage, it requires more space on hdd.

Win8PESE share scripts with Win7pese and and the great Gena PE1 project

A big thanks to the precursors on Win7PESE: Yahoouk's and JFX's.

Besides JFX continued help on numerous critical PE3 building cases and on PE4 as with WoW64 (running 32bit programs in a 64bit environment) and other... :thumbup: Thank you for your help. We are happy to see you around.

With a big thank you to all those who have supported and help improve this Win7 base Lancelot, 2aCD, Galapo, Homes32 and ALL other :yes:

Thank you very much also to sp_star with his good works, beautiful inspiration source cool.gif

A huge thanks to Galapo for the new domain w8pese.cwcodes.net smile.gif

Without forgetting Lancelot with the new Macro Library and his great support smile.gif

Thank you in advance to those who help to improve it. Have fun.

X-Mas-beer.gif

Edited by ChrisR

Thank you Magic Andre :thumbup

However, there is a problem in the first package in images.script which could prevent the good building

The problem is fixed now after downloading the latest version of images configuration

Successfully tested "Out of the box" on Xp x86 and Win7 x64.

PENetwork was also updated with latest version 58 beta 10, thanks to Holger

The package has been updated accordingly.

The Ms wimmount driver is always so long to mount images, after a first building (need wimmount installed) you can use once the Extract Wim Folders script in Utils folder to play with Win8pese and have a building more reliable and faster.

can you please rename the zip to the old date way you did with the Win7 version? So we can see if we use the latest version.

Yep, in win7, the archive files was dated at the beginning when I was doing the updates manually on mediafire.

Now the archive Win(7)8PE_SE.zip is automatically generated in php on the server and used by another php in the downloads page.

I do not know the solution in php to have those dated files, I like also :) .

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would try an x86 Win8 PE build using this project. My OS is Win7 Ult x64.

The build (downloaded 2012-01-30 1800 GMT) worked OK (a few warnings in log file), but the resulting ISO did not boot in VMWare Player or QEMU.

I did not change any of the settings and I extracted the Win8 ISO to a folder using 7Zip first (and also tried it from a mounted ISO using ImDisk).

I never seem to have much luck with WinBuilder... :huh:

It starts to boot and I get the dots going round in a circle and then 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart'.

Warnings were:

(1-files.Script) FileCopy [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win8PESE\Source\InstallWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\manifests\*_microsoft.windows.c..-controls.resources_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.9200.16384_en-US*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win8PESE\Windows\winsxs\manifests]: No matching file found

(1-files.Script) FileCopy [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win8PESE\Source\InstallWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\manifests\*_microsoft.windows.c..-controls.resources_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16384_en-US*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win8PESE\Windows\winsxs\manifests]: No matching file found

(1-files.Script) FileCopy [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win8PESE\Source\BootWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\manifests\*_microsoft-windows-comctl32-v5.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_en-US*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win8PESE\Windows\winsxs\manifests]: No matching file found

(1-files.Script) FileCopy [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win8PESE\Source\BootWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\manifests\*_microsoft-windows-comdlg32.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_en-US*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win8PESE\Windows\winsxs\manifests]: No matching file found

(1-files.Script) FileCopy [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win8PESE\Source\BootWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\manifests\*_microsoft-windows-comdlg32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win8PESE\Windows\winsxs\manifests]: No matching file found

Edited by steve6375

Hi steve6375,

Do you use a pre or post RTM version of windows 8?

These files need to exist on every windows, but maybe your version is different so it doesn't match the file pattern.

Please take a look in your boot.wim how these files are called.

Hi steve6375,

If you are trying to build Win8PESE again with Win 8 RTM (If it is the case). I hope ;)

There have been many changes since January 2.

You can update the project with wb download center or better with "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure)" script in Utils folder.

to take advantage of all improvements (An update package should come soon).

Hi

OK - my bad for using non-Release version of Win8 - it works with the 90-day evaluation version.

I have dabbled a few times with WinBuilder as it looks very powerful but I have always had difficulties using it and given it up several times!

For instance, if this project is source build specific - why doesn't it check the source Win8 files first?

I am trying to use grub4dos to map the iso (located at \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso) and run it. Here are my issues.

I tried booting from ISO but had a problem as the Y: drive was not found (which was not unexpected!). There is a warning triangle on the Desktop (good idea!) which talks about changing the ISO, but the MountPEMedia.ini instructions are not very clear at all!

The MountPEmedia.ini file has no path in the IsoInfo/IsoName section and so it is unclear whether to specify \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso or _ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso!

The help text is not very helpful! A simple statement to say that ImDisk is used and it expects to find the un-renamed iso file in the root of the boot drive by default would have been useful!

Also the instructions say to change the path in the Finals - CreateISO script - but again the path to use is unclear as there is already an ISO folder under Project. Also changing this path in WinBuilder makes no difference, the ISO is still expected in the root of the USB drive -so I am unclear as to what...

'Rebuild by giving your personal Iso file name\Subfolder in the script Finals\Create ISO.' actually means?

The ini file also talks about modifying Win8PESE.ini to specify your personal ISO filename - but no clue as to if this file already exists or if I have to make it and where it should be located or what it's format is! I eventually found the file in the ISO folder under the main build folder, so I guess I need to copy this file to the root of the USB drive and modify it it manually? I was kind of expecting that if I specified the target path of the ISO file as %BaseDir%\_ISO\Windows, then the Win8PESE.ini file would be set to \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso for me?

Line 22 in the MountPEMedia.ini file would be far more helpful if changed to say...

Line22=C) Edit the Win8PESE.ini file (found in the same folder as your WinBuilder target ISO file) and place the Win8PESE.ini file in the root of the boot drive - e.g. edit contents to IsoName=\_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.ISO

OK - now another Q (sorry)

The Win8PE Project Index has some files to download - e.g. Main Configuration (config.script), Images Configuration (images.script), etc. Where do I put these files and how do I add them to the build? The WinBuilder CHM is very helpful about how to make scripts, etc. but not very helpful about how to start a simple project and then add to it.

Thanks for your help. Once I can figure out WinBuilder and this project, I hope to put a tutorial on my site for other WinBuilder newbies to follow!

Edited by steve6375

Hi steve6375,

You can put your suggestions on "MountPEmedia / CdDrive - X: - Y:"

on its development topic, which would be better to keep things in one place

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=346

most of us are not English native speaking, and even English native speakers explanations not always very understandable, it takes time to figure out a basic way to write instructions understandable by all

When you use "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure)" , files downloaded to their folders ;)

it is only an index, and an easy way to fully summerize plugins inside project, also their locations as title, but not suitable to download all one by one, but maybe with a clever download manager ( "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure" ) created for that and related purposes)

.chm file you refer have lots of missing and also wrong guidance partialy, aside since it is about wb it is not our concern at all :whistle:

simply, extracting ready zip package and updating with "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure" will give you latest files :thumbup

Edited by Lancelot_Real

Thanks for your good feedback :thumbup

why doesn't it check the source Win8 files first?

You're right and I talked with JFX about that, there is just half an hours.

We'll add a check at the beginning of the project on the Version of several files to verify that it is indeed a RTM version.

but the MountPEMedia.ini instructions are not very clear at all!

Good return on MountPEMedia, I'll take into account to improve it.

When developed it sometimes seems obvious and it becomes a little difficult to express clearly. So thanks.

Outside clarify things on this, I do not have a good English, Perhaps you can help on this part.

so it is unclear whether to specify \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso or _ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso!

The ini file also talks about modifying Win8PESE.ini to specify your personal ISO filename - but no clue as to if this file already exists or if I have to make it and where it should be located or what it's format is! I eventually found the file in the ISO folder under the main build folder, so I guess I need to copy this file to the root of the USB drive and modify it it manually? I was kind of expecting that if I specified the target path of the ISO file as %BaseDir%\_ISO\Windows, then the Win8PESE.ini file would be set to \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso for me?

you think well ;)

and both path should work.

OK - now another Q (sorry)

The Win8PE Project Index has some files to download - e.g. Main Configuration (config.script), Images Configuration (images.script), etc. Where do I put these files and how do I add them to the build? The WinBuilder CHM is very helpful about how to make scripts, etc. but not very helpful about how to start a simple project and then add to it.

Use the download button on wb, it will do it for you but with sometimes few worries.

Better, use "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure)" in utils folder, you will have an exact image of the server without having to worry about folder...

Thanks for your help. Once I can figure out WinBuilder and this project, I hope to put a tutorial on my site for other WinBuilder newbies to follow!

:thumbup

Edit: you win Lancelot ;), you press the button before, I did not see your answer

Edit2:

so it is unclear whether to specify \_ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso or _ISO\Windows\Win8PE_x86.iso!

I looked at the source, one or the other should work :)

Edited by ChrisR

So are you saying that whenever a new WinBuilder Project is downloaded and launched, the first thing a user should do is click on the Download button to get the latest version and maybe change option to Minimum/Recommended/Complete?

The Update WinPE SE (Exact and Secure) is not in the Utils folder by default on a new (82) Project - is it better to add this in as default for the project and instruct users to run this first (or is it automatically run?). It seems to download a lot of files the first time it is run - is 82 very out of date?