Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

So the new IE is a blend of Chrome and Firefox (which is a blend of Chrome and Chrome) and will have improved tabs? As in, the tabs will no longer be next to the address bar and I can have more than 4 at once?

Why would you want to have tabs when you could have web pages in separate windows?

-Noel

Maybe you can, but you shouldn't, as this might slow down your PC (see above about MS advice ;)).

Hey jaclaz, do you think maybe they have an initiative to convince people not to take Windows too seriously?

I'm not joking...  If you wanted to take the pressure off your company to have to work hard to make serious things, you could try to get the public to think of you as the maker of toys - not the maker of serious, difficult-to-engineer stuff - then life would be better, and you'd still make a ton of money making toys, right?

That's just the kind of thinking id*** executives might do.

-Noel

Hey jaclaz, do you think maybe they have an initiative to convince people not to take Windows too seriously?

I'm not joking...  If you wanted to take the pressure off your company to have to work hard to make serious things, you could try to get the public to think of you as the maker of toys - not the maker of serious, difficult-to-engineer stuff - then life would be better, and you'd still make a ton of money making toys, right?

That's just the kind of thinking id*** executives might do.

-Noel

Naah :no:, otherwise they would have incorporated (say) Minecraft.... :whistle:

...hey,  wait a minute, actually they DID buy Minecraft ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172689-microsoft-buys-minecraft/

And (just to show how the reference to "our cloud" was not too far fetched):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sept14/09-15news.aspx

Microsoft’s investments in cloud and mobile technologies will enable “Minecraft” players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect across the “Minecraft” community.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

So the new IE is a blend of Chrome and Firefox (which is a blend of Chrome and Chrome) and will have improved tabs? As in, the tabs will no longer be next to the address bar and I can have more than 4 at once?

Why would you want to have tabs when you could have web pages in separate windows?

-Noel

Is this a sarcasm?

I have a whole monitor already dedicated to IE.... (Maybe I need more monitors?)

No sarcasm intended.  I've honestly never understood the interest in tabs at all.  I open all browser sessions in separate windows, which is still quite doable with IE11 and a very minor reconfiguration. 

Is it to help you get back to something quickly?  My system is tuned up to the point where browser windows open pretty much instantly, Google searches come up pretty much instantly, and web pages load quickly (fiber connection).  I find I don't need to keep much open - I just go find it again if I need it.

I have 3 monitors, by the way.  Desktop is 4960 x 1600 pixels.  I Really, Really Like being able to see a lot of information at a glance.

A typical session...  Visual studio on the center monitor, with extra windows not used as much on the left monitor, IE and VS Help on the right monitor sometimes tiled, sometimes overlapping.

Or Photoshop's main editing area on the center monitor and all the panels on the side monitors, with browsers or other reference material sometimes coming in front of the stuff on the sides, as needed.

Or a few Excel spreadsheets open on various monitors, and/or Word. 

I find the vertically oriented 1200 x 1600 side monitors are pleasant for putting up page-shaped documents.

I might have an even bigger desktop if I could fit more monitors.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

You can right-click in the empty space to the right, and check "Show tabs on a separate row."

I know -- it's as*nine not to make this value the IE default.  :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

EDIT: clarification

Edited by JorgeA

-Noel

How many browser windows do you keep open at a given time?

Just last night, at one point I had something like 50 tabs open in like 6 different IE windows. (Heavy-duty research.) I can't imagine trying to have 50 browser windows open at the same time!

For me, tabs were the best new feature going from IE6 to IE7 way back when.

--JorgeA

I rarely have more than 5 or 6 browsers open at once.  And when I do go beyond that and get extreme, the Taskbar just gathers them all into one button.

I do research things.  As I mentioned above I don't use open tabs to keep track of things.  I guess I'm just more serial about it, and I'm pretty good about closing windows when I'm done with them.

As an exercise I did open about 100 IE windows once, each one navigated to a different site from my favorites list.  Not too far past 100 some resource got exhausted and they all crashed out.  It's a bit ludicrous to be able to exceed anything on a big system like mine.

Oh, and I run almost no add-ons.

-Noel

Another casualtuy from the Win8 disaster? In Windows Weekly 375, a discussion of the future of Windows RT:

Mary Jo: ...Up until now it was not legal and really not technically feasible to put Windows Phone OS on a tablet. But as of this release it is. I am going to be super curious if any of their OEM’s do this.

Leo: You know why this is interesting. This back up the contention you and Paul have been making for months now. That RT is essentially going to be replaced by Windows Phone.

Mary Jo: Pretty much, they claim. Well I shouldn’t say they claim anything because they haven’t haven’t talked about what they are going to do with Threshold. But from what we’ve heard and from what our sources have claimed. We have heard they are going to somehow munge together the Windows RT and Windows Phone OS and make this thing that will run on both. But I have a feeling and I’ve always thought it would be more Windows Phone that it would be Windows RT. Although I can’t prove that.

Leo: How do we feel about that? I think that’s good. I like Windows Phone. You can’t run Office on it right? Is that the big deal about Windows RT? Can you?

[...]

Leo: Oh that makes sense. Do it all at once. Does this mean the end of the line for RT? Can we call it?

Mary Jo: You choked me up on that one.

Daniel: I like RT but honestly consumers have sort of spoken on it. I think conceptually it was not a bad idea but the naming scheme was not executed well. Everybody mentions this, if the RT tablets didn’t even have desktop access it would have been a lot clearer message. But I think if Microsoft can reduce their operating systems from Windows 8 and just have Windows Phone version that could basically run on tablets. Just have those 2, I think that makes it a lot easier message to send to users.

--JorgeA

I rarely have more than 5 or 6 browsers open at once.  And when I do go beyond that and get extreme, the Taskbar just gathers them all into one button.

I do research things.  As I mentioned above I don't use open tabs to keep track of things.  I guess I'm just more serial about it, and I'm pretty good about closing windows when I'm done with them.

As an exercise I did open about 100 IE windows once, each one navigated to a different site from my favorites list.  Not too far past 100 some resource got exhausted and they all crashed out.  It's a bit ludicrous to be able to exceed anything on a big system like mine.

Oh, and I run almost no add-ons.

-Noel

Yeah, combining windows under one Taskbar button is a feature I've never cared for, I prefer to have as many as possible displayed at the same time, or under tabs for quick-and-easy organization. With the combination list, I find it harder to keep track of the order in which I opened them and it's harder to navigate to the ones toward the bottom of the list. Last night there was one particular tab that I had to keep going back to, it was like the third-to-last one, and it was annoying to have to slowly scroll down that combination list over and over again.

FWIW, I don't like icons (hieroglyphics), so one of the first things I do on a new PC is to bring back the old-style Taskbar buttons with text that actually says something. Thumbnails are useful IMX, too.

--JorgeA

TELVM, you're saying if they didn't pull a miracle out of their... hats and make a Windows 9 that was actually more useful than Windows 7 you wouldn't try it? ...

I already wasted ~25 minutes on Tiles 8 back in 2012. From what I see in the leaked screenshots & videos I doubt I'll even try '9'.

... What happens when the poor slobs who keep saving Microsoft's butt get too old to tweak the latest Windows any more, and no one's left who remembers the golden age and how computers once could be made to do just what you want and look nice doing it? ...

Nature abhors a vacuum. If Microsoft quits releasing real OSes, someone else will fill the niche.

Mary Jo: ...Up until now it was not legal and really not technically feasible to put Windows Phone OS on a tablet. But as of this release it is.

So finally, after a couple years they will give RT to OEMs? They gave everyone who had Server 2012 (and R2) the ability to PXE boot ARM devices but never gave anyone the OS to deploy to it. :rolleyes: