XP activation servers

vipejc

Isn't there something in the Microsoft EULA that forces Microsoft to keep the activation servers for XP active forever? The software is the end user's forever. So what happens in, say, 2020. Is there a possibility that if you have to reinstall XP, you won't be able to because Microsoft shut down the activation servers? I highly doubt Microsoft would do that because there'd be an uproar, but just curious.

there'd be an uproar

Sure. Of the scale like if today they'd stop the ability to install the DOS 6.0 that came out in 93. :D

Are you trying to resurect a closed thread ?

Edited by Ponch

Even if Microsoft turns off the XP Activation server in the future, I'm sure you could still ring them up on the phone and do it the old fashioned way.

The only difference might be :unsure: who will actually answer you on the phone ;):

life-in-2050.gif

:angel

jaclaz

there'd be an uproar

Sure. Of the scale like if today they'd stop the ability to install the DOS 6.0 that came out in 93. :D

No, I'm genuinely interested to know. Do you think it'll become a problem for retail versions as time goes on after 2014?

there'd be an uproar

No, I'm genuinely interested to know. Do you think it'll become a problem for retail versions as time goes on after 2014?

I doubt there'll be any problem. I wouldn't worry, were I you.

BTW, do read this: The Life and Times of Windows XP

Given acquiring Windows XP nowadays isn't possible in the retail or OEM channels without a separate agreement from Microsoft (and OEM and volume versions of XP don't activate with Microsoft anyway), the actual amount of XP activations nowadays is probably a very small number. Not sure about when or if they'll turn them off, so to speak, but I think the quip above about DOS 6.0 is probably pretty accurate ;).

Given acquiring Windows XP nowadays isn't possible in the retail or OEM channels without a separate agreement from Microsoft (and OEM and volume versions of XP don't activate with Microsoft anyway), the actual amount of XP activations nowadays is probably a very small number.

Don't forget reinstalls, which would require activation again. And OEM licenses don't require activation? That's news to me since I have 2 of those here which do.

Given acquiring Windows XP nowadays isn't possible in the retail or OEM channels without a separate agreement from Microsoft (and OEM and volume versions of XP don't activate with Microsoft anyway), the actual amount of XP activations nowadays is probably a very small number. Not sure about when or if they'll turn them off, so to speak, but I think the quip above about DOS 6.0 is probably pretty accurate ;).

Yes and No, IMHO.

There is a number of OEM licenses that require activation unless I am mistaken, i.e. there are "common OEM" and "big OEM" (pre-installed) the latter may not need activation, but the former do.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

And there is a (legitimate AFAIK) market for "used" copies of RETAIL XP.

The doubts are about OEM licenses (that are sold anyway all over the net) of the "first" kind.

This should be NOT a big problem since legally what you get is a licence to install that OS on a given hardware that probably won't last until after the servers will be shut down eventually, but still one might preserve an old machine (as an example for historical/collection purpose and need in the future to re-install the OS to it).

But say that you buy legitimately a RETAIL version of XP (or you already own one).

This might need to be activated when you re-install (for whatever reason, and since it is a RETAIL you have the right to install and use it on completely new hardware).

The good :unsure: news are that Vista :ph34r: users will have eventually even greater problems :whistle: :

jaclaz

And OEM licenses don't require activation? That's news to me since I have 2 of those here which do.

The manufactuer describes: Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx

I'll have to try that next time I do a reinstall. But since I assemble my own computers (and hence ordered my OEM copies from NewEgg), what would I have to do to "pre-activate" things? Is that on the OEM system builder disk (which I really didn't find much documentation on, and is for base XP anyway) or would there be some other documentation on it somewhere?

There is a number of OEM licenses that require activation unless I am mistaken, i.e. there are "common OEM" and "big OEM" (pre-installed) the latter may not need activation, but the former do.

jaclaz

Most people will refer to the System Builder kit as OEM version because it does indeed state the term "OEM" on the packaging, but this is due to how it is allowed to be sold. Its something that sales people need to realise that the general customer base will refer to the incorrect terms for the products and need to be able to decode what exactly a customer is talking about...

I'll have to try that next time I do a reinstall. But since I assemble my own computers (and hence ordered my OEM copies from NewEgg), what would I have to do to "pre-activate" things? Is that on the OEM system builder disk (which I really didn't find much documentation on, and is for base XP anyway) or would there be some other documentation on it somewhere?

You cannot create a pre-activated install using the System Builder kit.

Edited by Tripredacus

Although I can't find the source now, I do remember reading in some documentation from Microsoft that if they were to discontinue the activation servers, they would release an update that would disable the need for activation. I'll update this post if I can find the original article...

Most people will refer to the System Builder kit as OEM version because it does indeed state the term "OEM" on the packaging, but this is due to how it is allowed to be sold. Its something that sales people need to realise that the general customer base will refer to the incorrect terms for the products and need to be able to decode what exactly a customer is talking about...

Not only the sales/marketing, also the Legal department may benefit from some plain-english.

Just for the record:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/oem-licensing-confusion-starts-at-microsoftcom/535

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/08/a-welcome-change-in-microsoft-licensing-terms/

That link to the TWO official MS documents, one still online:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

and one removed by now, (and being behind the login portal has not been archived by the Wayback Machine) but for which some excerpts are given in the above blog post.

jaclaz